• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

scene perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroi okami

Registered
Reaction score
When you're writing a scene between two people having sex or two people having a fight, is it okay to switch from 1st person to third?
I'm just asking.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I think its best to switch when going to the next chapter, using the same scene. I think. Otherwise, it could get confusing.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
When you're writing a scene between two people having sex or two people having a fight, is it okay to switch from 1st person to third?
I'm just asking.

That would be jarring. Why would you want to do it?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think you need a scene break, at least, and probably a chapter break if you're not just switching the pov character but the pov itself.

Some authors will have novels where there are different povs (I read one where the main was in first present, and all the other characters were in limited third past) for different characters or time frames or whatever, but I don't remember running across a switch from first person to third person (I assume you'd use third omniscient?) just for a particular action. Never say never, I suppose.

RSwordsman

Registered
Reaction score
I would advise one not to switch perspectives at all unless absolutely necessary. And if you do, keep it consistent-- one first-person to another 3rd limited (while the first one isn't there) works for me because it keeps the general focus on the first-person character. Doing it the way you are describing seems very disjointed to me.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be really jarring. Glad you decided to keep it in first. You especially don't want to start head-hopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.