Send or not send clips??

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I am new at this but I do have a few articles published. My question is this . . . Some publications, in their guidelines and profiles in Writer's Market do not ask for clips. . . .just a query. So do I go ahead and send my clips anyway? Or does that look too braggadocious? Do I just send my query without the clips since they did not ask for any? Thanks for any feedback.

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
If they specifically say they don't want to see clips don't send clips. With a lot of places you don't even get considered if they see you haven't followed their guidelines.

Your query will have to be what sells you and you can work in the background/skills you have that make the idea appealing.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
If they specifically say they don't want to see clips don't send clips. With a lot of places you don't even get considered if they see you haven't followed their guidelines.

Your query will have to be what sells you and you can work in the background/skills you have that make the idea appealing.

I've never seen any guidelines that say specifically not to send clips . . . that is not the issue. I'll repeat what I said . . . . If they don't say to send clips, if it's just not said to forward clips . . . then what do I do? Do I go ahead and send clips anyway to sort of brag or puff myself up, sell myself? Or do I just not send clips because they did not explicitly say to "send clips"?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I usually just drop a few names of where my stories have appeared.

Also, I can't see how it would ever hurt you to send clips even if they are not asked for.

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen any guidelines that say specifically not to send clips . . . that is not the issue. I'll repeat what I said . . . . If they don't say to send clips, if it's just not said to forward clips . . . then what do I do? Do I go ahead and send clips anyway to sort of brag or puff myself up, sell myself? Or do I just not send clips because they did not explicitly say to "send clips"?

Sorry I read you wrong. If they don't say either way then send clips that are in the same vein as the publication you're trying to pitch to. For most places 2 or 3 clips is usually good. I have an electronic profolio where I switch out/add clips as I need that has worked well for me in sending things out to prospects.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
This is why is so useful to have a website. You can simply close the query saying "please check my website for clips."

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
This is why is so useful to have a website. You can simply close the query saying "please check my website for clips."

Actually, not all editors like that. If you are going to send clips, send clips. If not, I wouldn't send an editor off to poke around your website. Most of them don't have time for that sort of thing.

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, not all editors like that. If you are going to send clips, send clips. If not, I wouldn't send an editor off to poke around your website. Most of them don't have time for that sort of thing.

This is very true. I've had experiences where the difference between one writer or another getting a job can be whether or not everything is right in the editor's hands or not.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
This is very true. I've had experiences where the difference between one writer or another getting a job can be whether or not everything is right in the editor's hands or not.

If the editor asks for clips, I send clips. If he doesn't ask for anything, then I add a link to my website. It's better than sending an "empty" query. I know my website has helped me land plenty of writing jobs, so it certainly can't hurt adding a link.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I haven't sent clips in over five years. I give editors a link to my website and they're free to read from among the dozens of pieces available. My website gives them an even more thorough idea of who I am, what I can do, and samples of my work.

I highly recommend getting a website. And I'll have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster about editors not having the time to visit your website. Editors do go to writers' websites and I've heard from editors at the NYT and Time magazine that they've poked about my website and loved it. If they have time to read your clips, they've got time to read your website. (As long as it's clear, concise and functional, of course.)

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't sent clips in over five years. I give editors a link to my website and they're free to read from among the dozens of pieces available. My website gives them an even more thorough idea of who I am, what I can do, and samples of my work.

I highly recommend getting a website. And I'll have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster about editors not having the time to visit your website. Editors do go to writers' websites and I've heard from editors at the NYT and Time magazine that they've poked about my website and loved it. If they have time to read your clips, they've got time to read your website. (As long as it's clear, concise and functional, of course.)

I get comments from editors all the time about my website. It looks very professional and it showcases my clips well. In fact, I had an editor tell me once that she decided to give me the assignment after visiting my website. So yeah, I think everybody should have one.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I get comments from editors all the time about my website. It looks very professional and it showcases my clips well. In fact, I had an editor tell me once that she decided to give me the assignment after visiting my website. So yeah, I think everybody should have one.

I agree with you. I was responding to gettingby's comment that editors don't have time to poke around websites.

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
Actually they do.
I just got a job because an editor was poking around different websites about China, and liked what he saw on my two blogs which fit the issues theme perfectly.
Always put a signature to your website on your emails. It's not pushy, and if they're interested it saves them time and effort having to ask you for more information.