What do you do when you've done several interviews and an editor rejects the piece?

espresso

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
An editor was "trying me out" on a short spec blog post on a very big topic (I had pitched an article).

I wrote it twice and he didn't like it. He, himself, didn't really know the approach he wanted covered, but I followed instructions and ended up trying to write a primer on the subject; instead of the approach I had originally been interested in. An editor has never before rejected my work.

So, in the process of doing the spec post the pub sent me to a conference. I interviewed several people, in-depth, telling them I was doing an article for this pub.

I want to use the interviews somewhere; hence, pitch other pubs. But, what is the protocol?

Should I call original interview subjects first and tell them I'm pitching elsewhere, or just wait to see whether I get an assignment, then call them?

Thoughts? Despite the fact that the editor was not very nice, I'd like to eventually publish something there. Does this make any sense?

Thanks!

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
One publication paid to send you to a conference and now you want to write the story for a different publication? You told the subjects you interviewed it was for a publication that is not going to run it? Be careful here. You say you still want to write for this place. You need to really think about how your actions are going to look to that editor.

If you really want to write the story for another publication, I would ask the editor if he minds since he he the one who sent you there. I would also say yes you should contact your sources too.