Status
Not open for further replies.

hillsc

You remind me of the babe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elsewhither.com
I got an idea for a new story. It goes something like this: a young hero, trapped in the ordinary world, longs to get out. He’s befriended by a gray-bearded mentor who helps him find adventure. After meeting both friends and enemies along the road, our hero eventually faces the Big Bad Guy in the final showdown. The hero defeats evil and everyone lives happily ever after.

Whatcha think? Does it have potential?

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
I got an idea for a new story. It goes something like this: a young hero, trapped in the ordinary world, longs to get out. He’s befriended by a gray-bearded mentor who helps him find adventure. After meeting both friends and enemies along the road, our hero eventually faces the Big Bad Guy in the final showdown. The hero defeats evil and everyone lives happily ever after.

Whatcha think? Does it have potential?

Not to sound like an utter asshole or anything--despite my talent for it--but this is surely a joke, right?

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I read your blog!

I was right, I was right... it was Harry Potter. :)

Seriously, I get where you're going with this and it's true, everything has been done before. As SusanL says, it's your spin on it that's important.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
So, this is self-promotion? Moving ....

hillsc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elsewhither.com
So, this is self-promotion? Moving ....

:(

No. And it wasn't meant to be a joke either (addressing the first response). I was hoping to open a discussion in a whimsical manner, figuring that no one would think I was actually seriously putting that forward as an original story idea. (And really surprised that it was taken as self-promotion.)

I was simply hoping to open a discussion on storytelling and the use of tried and true story frameworks. Not in a philosophical sense (like, do they exist, should they exist, etc.) But from a practical point of view: do others think of this while they write (either choosing to consciously embrace it or consciously avoid it).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Very well, I'll move it back to Roundtable for now, although it might be better suited for The Sandbox.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
No. And it wasn't meant to be a joke either (addressing the first response). I was hoping to open a discussion in a whimsical manner, figuring that no one would think I was actually seriously putting that forward as an original story idea.

Just wait till you've been here a year. You'd be surprised how many people we get with a serious "I've got this new idea, never been done! It's about going to this planet, and it's populated by blue cat people living in trees..."

hillsc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elsewhither.com
Just wait till you've been here a year. You'd be surprised how many people we get with a serious "I've got this new idea, never been done! It's about going to this planet, and it's populated by blue cat people living in trees..."

True. And after catching up on this week's Shush Pile Hell entries, I should have realized that there really are some---well---special people out there. So in hindsight I can see why my whimsy didn't go over the way I intended it to.

That said, I'll kick things off a second time with my original intention: do you struggle with avoiding the monomyth framework, embrace it, or not even think about it when you write?

Me, I spent a lot of time trying to come up with something radically new and never-before-seen. Once I realized that the six billion already-written books had probably covered it all, I switched gears and ended up in the "embrace" camp. (Or, at the very least, the if-you-can't-beat-it-join-it camp.)

So I was curious how others' approached their storytelling.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I was hoping to open a discussion in a whimsical manner, figuring that no one would think I was actually seriously putting that forward as an original story idea

Charles, I think you opened a discussion just fine. :D

...do you struggle with avoiding the monomyth framework, embrace it, or not even think about it when you write?

So I was curious how others' approached their storytelling.

I don't really think about about any type of framework, but I do concentrate on the journey my MC character will go through in order reach change by the end of the story. I try to keep my writing original, but most of the time I just sit down and start writing.

By the way, love you blog--and, I did not see your question as self promotion at all. :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I think Christopher Paolini beat you to it. Try again in about, oh, a minute. Maybe five.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's never about what has or hasn't been done, it's about how well you do it. Do it better than anyone else, and you get very rich and very famous. Just like J. K. Rowling.

hillsc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elsewhither.com
It's never about what has or hasn't been done, it's about how well you do it. Do it better than anyone else, and you get very rich and very famous. Just like J. K. Rowling.

But do you think about it as you write? Are other writers conscious of whether they're following a traditional story arc or not? As SusanL said, "I try to keep my writing original, but most of the time I just sit down and start writing." So if her stories end up following a (for lack of a better term) predefined structure, then it wasn't on purpose. Others (like an older version of me) tried to actively avoid it, but just couldn't. It was almost compulsory that I wrote like that---almost as if I had no say in the matter.

I found it fascinating, actually. Didn't know if that was just me or if others ran into it too.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
But do you think about it as you write? Are other writers conscious of whether they're following a traditional story arc or not?
Yes, I do think about it. I do want to tell a tale that is original. However, I do know that pretty much everything in the story has been done before, not the specifics, but the general trope or framework. Instead of a greybeard mentor, maybe I'll use a lascivious pet rock. The point is, sometimes you need to use a convention that has been used before. Our boy hero needs to learn about the super special thing in a timely way, hence the pet rock.

I fairly sure that the magic system I'm using in my story is original and the world is original if still standard earth-type medieval. The story arcs are all pretty standard. I'm not sure how to get around that or even if I am creative enough to do it. But, I try to not use obvious cliche.

I read Paolini and honestly, I still enjoyed the books even though I recognized the tropes and the cliches on a certain level. That was before I started to write seriously. I'd probably throw that book across the room now. But, the point is, people enjoy that type of story. There's nothing wrong with that.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
It's the good old Hero's Journey. Do it well, and you may hit the jackpot.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
But do you think about it as you write? Are other writers conscious of whether they're following a traditional story arc or not? As SusanL said, "I try to keep my writing original, but most of the time I just sit down and start writing." So if her stories end up following a (for lack of a better term) predefined structure, then it wasn't on purpose. Others (like an older version of me) tried to actively avoid it, but just couldn't. It was almost compulsory that I wrote like that---almost as if I had no say in the matter.

I found it fascinating, actually. Didn't know if that was just me or if others ran into it too.

No, I don't think about it as I write. I don't think structure makes much, if any, difference, as long as it's a structure that allows the reader to enjoy a good story.

There aren't many plots. We were taught in college that only four plots exist, and I believe it. There aren't even all that many types of problems, all that many conflicts. In one way or another, nearly all conflict is about pretty basic emotions or beliefs, needs, wants, life and death.

I firmly believe that the most original thing in the world is a good story, well told, filled with good, empathetic characters, well drawn.

Where originality does exist, it exists as us, as the individuals we are. It's our unique life experiences, our unique take on all sorts of things, mundane and mighty. Originality isn't about plot or structure, it's about getting the unique us into the story, through the narrative, and through the characters.

But I just try to tell the best story I can tell, and fill it with characters who come alive on the page. I do this by not worrying about plot or structure, beyond normal, readable, storytelling structure that doesn't get in the way of the reader enjoying the story.

hillsc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elsewhither.com
Where originality does exist, it exists as us, as the individuals we are. It's our unique life experiences, our unique take on all sorts of things, mundane and mighty. Originality isn't about plot or structure, it's about getting the unique us into the story, through the narrative, and through the characters.
That's a really good way of putting it. Really, because if you think about popular stories that fit the monomyth structure (or Hero's Journey) it's not about what they have in common that enthralls us, it's about how they're different. Take a look:

• The Wizard of Oz
  • Star Wars
  • The Matrix
  • Harry Potter
With respect to these works, what fans will say, "I really hated that story because it's been done to death already"? Likely none. I've read that the reason this story structure is used so often (consciously or otherwise) is because we need to hear it over and over.

Kind of like pizza. No matter how many times I eat it, I want to do it again.

:)

Thanks for the input, J.A.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.