BISAC categories for YA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
I am using CS/amazon distribution to publish my upcoming novel (there will also be an electronic version), and the BISAC categories are throwing me.

Basically, there is no BISAC category for YA or Teen (as far as I can tell). My book is a YA sci-fi/romance, so I have two choices: I can list it as adult sci-fi/romance, or I can list it as children's sci-fi. Neither feels exactly right, but I'm thinking the adult category is a closer fit.

For writers of YA, how do you handle the lack of a YA category?

JeanHuets

Registered
Reaction score
Oaktree, your book would be under "Juvenile Fiction." See this link for exact subcategory codes. Metadata for books includes age group of target audience, which is where you put the YA designation. If you want to get super-book-metadata-geeky, see the BISG pdf

stranger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The interface in KDP doesn't directly link into the Amazon categories. There's talk they might fix that. For now, there's two options, I believe.

1)You can put Teen as one of your keywords. Seems that Amazon often moves you into the YA category in that case.

2) You can leave your book uncategorized and send Amazon support a mail specifying the categories you'd like your books put into.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
The interface in KDP doesn't
2) You can leave your book uncategorized and send Amazon support a mail specifying the categories you'd like your books put into.

They're no longer willing to do this. You have to use the categories available in the list but you can email and request that specific categories be opened up to you so that you can do it yourself.

Elle Casey, YA author, is currently trying to get them to make some changes after discovering the new policy. Hopefully, she makes some headway.

Status
Not open for further replies.