• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

What does Saturn look to the naked eye, orbiting Saturn?

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, let me ask a basic naive (but science fact) question: We all see spaceprobe photos, or Hubble telescope images, showing our outer planets or this or that distant nebula, and the images are bright and the colours rainbow beautiful ...

But those are all computer-enhanced, right?

If an astronaut or cosmonaut or taikonaut orbiting Saturn (let's say) were to look out her porthole ... What would Saturn look like to the naked human eye?

Because the Sun is far distant, obviously.

Does enough sunlight fall on Saturn for it to look illuminated to the human eye? Or is outer space far from the Sun just dark?

SaturnCassini_05_07_04.jpg

Saturn image from Cassini probe ... but ... ?

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score

thewakingself

Plays with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses! Those videos are stunning ... and

Of course it does. We can see the planet easily with the naked eye here on Earth.

... good gosh. The question crossed my mind, I pondered it and the obvious answer didn't even occur to me! We can see the reflected light even here from Earth. Duh.

But I'm glad I asked, because I luv the videoes AND the list of light falling on outer planets! So thanks to you all!

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
My grandad has a fantastic Newtonian reflecting telescope, and he lives in the country away from light pollution, so I've had a look myself. That Wikipedia image that efkelley linked is pretty accurate in terms of colour - when I looked the rings were a little darker, but that's partly because of the angle; from Earth, they're pretty side-on most of the time, so they're harder to see.

I've also seen Jupiter closely enough to make out the stripes (yes, it really is pretty red) and four moons.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
when I looked the rings were a little darker, but that's partly because of the angle; from Earth, they're pretty side-on most of the time, so they're harder to see.

Not really, though they are right now through the happenstance of Saturn having earlier this year passed through its equinox, when the rings are edge-on to the sun, and essentially become invisible. As I recall, Saturn's orbital period is 27 earth years, so it hits equinox every 13 or 14 years. In between those times, the rings appear at a significant angle both to the sun and to the POV of earth, and are quite visible. In fact, Galileo discovered them at such a time, with his crude early telescope, thought they were extensions of the planet, and compared them to ears.

Here are a number of excellent photos of Saturn, including an infrared one from the Keck telescope in Hawaii, which shows something near the maximum angle of Saturn's rings as visible from Earth.

http://www.optcorp.com/edu/articleDetailEDU.aspx?aid=464