Holy crap, the pregnancy test read Positive.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Don't worry about your shirt looking like your yard is infested with condors. Just kidding. Spitup comes out easy enough with cold water and a good detergent.

Sit back and enjoy the ride is all I have to say. Kids are awesome. And given a few years you'll froget anything "bad" that happened and just remember the good stuff. Like this one-

My oldest daughter took her first steps in the middle of being given trouble (for what I can't remember). She wanted to come over and smack me for saying no to her, but didn't want to take the time to drop down and crawl, then pull herself back up (it would give Mum too much time to catch her). I bawled like a baby and completely forgot about that naughty thing she was doing. Go figure :D.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations chief.

You'll probably never have to fish a turd out of the tub, but you WILL be mopping up puke from time to time. :tongue

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks! I brought her a dozen multi-colored roses today to celebrate.

Once we have children, though, I absolutely positively don't want a minivan (my parents got along fine without one), and I never want to hear the word "soccer" mentioned in our house.

Piano, on the other hand, is a must. As soon as they have manual dexterity.

allen

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Allen:

1-Congrates and a hug to you & Mrs Underthecity
2-buy a sieve for turd retrieval, they're easier to catch than fish
3-Congrats again & if you don't keep us posted, 20,000 AWers will descend on your home and peer in through the windows leaving nose-smudge marks on the glass.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score

Once we have children, though, I absolutely positively don't want a minivan (my parents got along fine without one), and I never want to hear the word "soccer" mentioned in our house.

Piano, on the other hand, is a must. As soon as they have manual dexterity.

allen

Twenty-six years into parenting and never a mini-van. Though the local Boy is a rabid soccer fan. And is learning to play bagpipes. <tear>

And congratulations to you and Mrs. City!

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! We never owned a minivan growing up, but for some inexplicable reason, once we were out of the house, my dad bought one. Watch out for that.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
RLB, that's just weird. Maybe it was because he missed you kids?

CONGRATS, ALLEN!

Man, are you in for some fun. :)

'Scuse me. I have a curly-haired little angel whose head needs kissing.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Could a Mod step in and maybe change the title of this thread???? Really. EVERYTIME I see it in the posts, my heart beats a little faster, hot flashes come out of nowhere, and I want to run, fast.

Just the thought of a positive test, makes me want to scream.

Like in Knocked Up, when the sister takes a test to see if it's working right, and she picks up one already used, reading positive...and she totally freaks out?.....that's me right now. Make it stop.

Oh, congratulations again. :p

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score

Once we have children, though, I absolutely positively don't want a minivan (my parents got along fine without one)

Congrats.

I agree about the mini-van. if we have kids, we're using the cars we have. :)

I never thought of myself as a minivan person. Mr. Turkey talked me into one and bought one with all the bells and whistles. (Automatic doors are awesome!) Minivans are very handy... especially when you have a little one who is potty training and needs to use the restroom while you are at a gas station or restaurant. If you keep a porta-potty in the van, you won't have to worry about your child using the public toilet. They are also great for hauling around visiting relatives.
(Of course, Mr. Turkey will be owing me that Aston Martin once the kids move out!!) A girl can dream...;)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Having your first child is simultaneously the worst and the best thing you ever do to your own life.

Subsequent children don't have anything like the impact that the first one does, because only the first one transforms you from someone whose first priority is themselves to someone who would walk through fire-hot broken glass just to wipe a snotty nose.

Really. There's nothing you can do, no matter how carefully you try, which will prepare you for the impact that your first baby will have on your life. Once the lucky babe is born (because it IS going to be lucky, having you as its father) your life will be changed forever and there's nothing you can do about that. It's going to be huge and wonderful and dreadful and blissful and scary and all sorts of other things, all at the same time, and all I can do is laugh because you don't have the first idea how it's going to end up for you, and congratulate you because it's just fantastic.

Today is my youngest son's eighth birthday, by the way. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I wish we could have had more. I hope you do. Much love and happiness to you, your wife, and your children to come. It's a ride. Open your heart to it and hang on.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Well, thank you. Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'm most anxious about how it's going to change our lives. I'm not worried about how we're going to "handle" it, because we'll handle it, just like anyone else.

She visited the OBGYN on Friday and it's confirmed. I believe she's three weeks along, which will mean the birth will be at the end of February.

I want to be the Awesome Dad, not the Absentee or Angry Dad. But I also want time for me and/or my wife. I hope I'll have for that. I still want to have my own life. That's what I'm most concerned about. But at the same time, I want to be a good parent.

allen

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, thank you. Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'm most anxious about how it's going to change our lives. I'm not worried about how we're going to "handle" it, because we'll handle it, just like anyone else.

She visited the OBGYN on Friday and it's confirmed. I believe she's three weeks along, which will mean the birth will be at the end of February.

I want to be the Awesome Dad, not the Absentee or Angry Dad. But I also want time for me and/or my wife. I hope I'll have for that. I still want to have my own life. That's what I'm most concerned about. But at the same time, I want to be a good parent.

allen

You will have time for you and your wife - once the baby is asleep. Or you've dropped him or her off at g'mas. And it will be frustrating - but it will get better. Don't expect your life to be what it is today - immediatley. It will take a while to smooth out to what you're used to. But - IT WILL HAPPEN.

The funny thing is - when you've almost had it and you don't understand why your wife is moody, or you're moody, and you can't go to that barbeque, because the baby is sick, or what ever reason, you have a child now, and you forgive that little person, and you're frustration goes away quicker. Sometimes. :)

Good luck!!!

PS....."What To Expect When You're Expecting"....BUY IT.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
We raised two kids (now 19 and 17) and never needed a minivan even though the son was in hockey and the dog took up the back seat. You don't need one.

Speaking of multi-coloured - my daughter puked up Froot Loops and it was like a rainbow. When you have kids, your parental instinct takes over and you don't notice the grossness.

Just remember to play with your kids. Being busy is no excuse.

Congratulations!

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Hints:

Make sure you give the bath in the tub always, rather than the sink. Less distance to go to flush the offending turd should it ever happen.

Always keep a diaper near by when changing for the imps have a way of squirting when you remove the diapee and the cold air on the nethers seems to make them want to leak again (and girls DO squirt as far as a boy, just not over their heads).

Never, NEVER, repeat this to yourself NEVER think about raising your baby or tot over your head in play within an hour of eating or drinking (unless you really think a chance of vomit on your face or in your mouth while you giggle with the kid is something you really must experience before you die - YES, this did happen to my ex....)

Make sure the kiddo has been fully changed or pottied BEFORE you give a ride on the shoulders unless you do not mind a leak on your neck and down your back (YES, this happened to the ex too....get the picture why he may be an ex???).

But really:

You think you want your own life. You will think that after the kiddo comes too. But, you won't think twice to give up anything of your own (including your life) for them.

Congrats! I do not know you, but I do not have to for good tidings to be sent your way.

Christine