AW WESTERN CONTEST - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scifiwordsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Transmigrating between Earth and other points in t
Hi fellow writers, well as we all agree, getting the votes together was a tough one. I got my vote in and now the suspense kicks in. Will certainly be intersting to see how it all comes out in the end. I certainly stretched far outside of my comfort zone with the contest. But, all in all, learned a few things in the process. Good luck to all...

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've finished my readthrough. A good crop of stories, no doubt; even the ones I liked the least had enough potential that some revision and judicious editing are called for.

I've made my list of all my 4- and 5-star stories and I'll go over them one more time before putting in a vote. Once voting ends I'll post my full comments (stripped of their ratings, of course).

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I agree to this. However, I'm quite scared that when my story is brought up, the words "incoherent" and "nonsense" will be mentioned.

I hope not.
as in 'to say this story is incoherent would be complete nonsense'.?

i dunno...could be worse...

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to vote Harry? Ooooh...

Nope. I can see who wrote what, so it wouldn't be fair. I've read (finished today) everything and am looking forward to the discussion when the voting closes. :)

I just want the votes to come out so we can start discussing the stories!

Excellent. I'm really hoping the discussion will help everyone as writers and also advance thinking about the Western genre and its possibilities. :)

I've made my list of all my 4- and 5-star stories and I'll go over them one more time before putting in a vote. Once voting ends I'll post my full comments (stripped of their ratings, of course).

Again, excellent stuff. I have been considering moving the actual discussion of the entries into the passworded forum SYW, so please wait to post until this has been decided. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Daily Vote Tally

41 Votes

31 entrants

10 Non-entrants.

Good work all. :)

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
as in 'to say this story is incoherent would be complete nonsense'.?

i dunno...could be worse...

No, I was thinking a comment more like this.

"This story is an incoherent, nonsensical piece of ....coprolite."

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
I think the most devastating criticisms I leveled at any piece were (without naming names obviously) "rough prose in places" and "hard to follow at times" and "no real ending, just stops."

That's saying a lot, right there :D

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the most devastating criticisms I leveled at any piece were (without naming names obviously) "rough prose in places" and "hard to follow at times" and "no real ending, just stops."

That's saying a lot, right there :D

That would be mine :( No, not really (I hope)

I'm expecting to get the same types of comments I usually get: prose shows promise it just didn't "take me there."

I chose the ones I did based on how new the idea was to me, if it moved along well, and ended well. I also paid attention to any story that stayed with me after I read it, and which ones I remembered the most when I read them again. Totally, totally subjective criteria, of course, but this is the arts, after all.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
That would be mine :( No, not really (I hope)

I'm expecting to get the same types of comments I usually get: prose shows promise it just didn't "take me there."

I chose the ones I did based on how new the idea was to me, if it moved along well, and ended well. I also paid attention to any story that stayed with me after I read it, and which ones I remembered the most when I read them again. Totally, totally subjective criteria, of course, but this is the arts, after all.

That's usually the basis of comments I get.

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just thankful people have read mine at all.

As for choosing how to vote - my choices were driven by originality, flow and level of interest. Some started well and dropped me a bit along the canyon. This is more a reflection on my attention span -which is prone to going off track when I... oh look, something shiny...

Like Puma said, all had merit - I just hope y'all don't rip me a new one when we discuss mine.

This is worse than the Oscars...

Last edited:

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Also: in true critique tradition, I have something good to say about all of them :D

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Going back to what Harry said about discussing the stories and offering comments and critiques.

I think it should be a separate thread, but whether here or in SYW is a coin toss.

I hope everyone will identify the stories being discussed by number and title. Makes it a bit more cumbersome, but a lot easier to follow than - that one about bandits. Puma

FrankiiGii

Registered
Reaction score
I picked stories that I found evocative, had good flow and kept a concise, tight plot. I didn't end up using a scale but paired down a list of my favorites from the first go.

Flowerfairy

Lady Entropia
Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant stuff, FF.

Not only are you supporting the writers in the contest, but also dipping a toe in Western, too.

And that warms the cockles of my heart. :)

You are the brilliant one, Harry. And if I could keep your heart and those of the guys here in good mood, why not? :e2dance:

Last edited:

Flowerfairy

Lady Entropia
Registered
Reaction score
I picked stories that I found evocative, had good flow and kept a concise, tight plot. I didn't end up using a scale but paired down a list of my favorites from the first go.

We are on the same boat. I am about to vote!

Flowerfairy

Lady Entropia
Registered
Reaction score
Just voted!

Once again, good luck to all who entered.

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Daily Vote Tally :)

43 Votes

31 entrants

12 Non-entrants.

Keep 'em coming. :)

Status