Mythomania May 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Wish I could join you for early lunch mccardey. And I hope you had a great birthday.

Just before I fell asleep last night I realised what is wrong with my tokolosh story. Something much more exciting needs to happen early on and two of the characters have to go. A new character must come in and he will have to be developed and researched.

Scrapped the existing 4 000+ words and began again. Some scenes I may salvage later but the story has to be reworked from scratch.

200 words.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hell, Marya - that sucks. I hope it picks itself up and runs away with you now...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Mccardey, it's only 6:30 a.m. here, but I'm always up for an early lunch. :)

:Hug2: Marya. Good for you for knowing and doing the hard thing.

No words from me but lots of thinking. That's good. I'll take thinking.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
307 words. But I feel better about stopping now. I have tomorrow's wordage pretty well ready to run.

It's lunchtime here if that helps? *nom*

I suppose I should get out of my pyjamas at some stage...

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Marya, you do an admirable job of not whining over that. Last time I tossed 20K words (on my last novel) I pouted. Of course, when they aren't right, they aren't right. Kaitie, way to go. Probably a good deal more fun than studying for finals, too. Go, girls. (Hey wait, are there any males posting on this thread?)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have 18-year old eyeglasses on today. Probably not your fault, then. ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(Hey wait, are there any males posting on this thread?)

Poor onesecondglance. :Hug2:

And Doc's around, somewhere...

I saw on FB that Ken is writing, but he's not been here in a while.

Hm. Onesecond, it's you and Doc and all of us ladies. :e2file:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You'd think he'd enjoy being surrounded by sexy women. ;)

Lorna, I'm actually the one grading the finals, but I swear I put more time into this than the students do sometimes.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
893 words today--all of which may have to go come my first edit.

I'm finding that I'm redundant today--just keep repeating myself--over and over.

I'm having a hard time getting my heroine past her first interview with the police. She keeps telling him things the reader already would know.

My mantra: "It's a draft. It's a draft."

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In honor of your birthday, which I didn't know about when I wrote it, I've finished a n 876-word scene about getting a gift--the wrong gift.

You're a very clever rabbit - I enjoyed that so much. It's extremely well done.

Finished today with 307, but I'm hoping for 900+ tomorrow. I've done such a lot of work - tomorrow looks like being fun.

Lucie - I mean it. That was a lovely piece of writing.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
893 words today--all of which may have to go come my first edit.

I'm finding that I'm redundant today--just keep repeating myself--over and over.

I'm having a hard time getting my heroine past her first interview with the police. She keeps telling him things the reader already would know.

My mantra: "It's a draft. It's a draft."

Bflogal, I just sent my amateur sleuth WIP to a retired copper who used to be on the London murder squad, to comment on any police procedural errors I may have made. I am now gnawing my nails. I am expecting the MS to come back full of annotations, along the lines of "no way would this ever happen!"

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
You'd think he'd enjoy being surrounded by sexy women. ;)

And so he should!

Maybe we should use that as an advertising strapline. "Come hang out on the M/T/S thread - it's full of sexy women"...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: I love this thread.

Makes me want to write and be productive and stuff.

Alas, this is one of my few ten minutes spurts I'll be at home today...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
And so he should!

Maybe we should use that as an advertising strapline. "Come hang out on the M/T/S thread - it's full of sexy women"...

...in their pajamas. :D

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
another 850, next character, The Scientist. I spent from 7-9 this morning digging for blogs by field scientists of his type but found shockingly few (they're apparently too busy to blog, the rats). Luckily I've done some related science in the field, so I know about blisters and hot days and equipment belts and how many field scientists booze it up like you wouldn't believe, even sometimes at 8 a.m. (mine doesn't but some do.) Jotted some back story. (I know now that his mother said to his father during labor, "I get the stretch marks, I get to name the kids!" Not that it goes in the book, but you know, sometimes these things just come to you.) So I introduced him at work, giving some scientific info, too...and it may all not survive. It's not action-y like the opening is, and I may decide it is far too static for this novel, but even if it's first-draft only, at least it helps me know him a little better.

Nighty-night Europeans, good morning Aussies, hope you all have/had/will have a good writing day.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! You ladies have been busy while I was gone.

And it was only for one day. :Sun:

Kind of blah yesterday, so I did blah, as in nothing.

Today was much better. Sometimes it pays to take a day off. I wrote 1366 words this afternoon.

I actually would have kept going, but a friend of mine who is afraid of driving over bridges just called and needs me to drive them to Pittsburgh. Oh well, at least I'm getting out of the small town and into the city. :snoopy:

Today's effort made up my 500 for yesterday and the other 200 I was shy in averaging 500 per day for the month.

5157 so far for the month, and closing in on ending this story. Hopefully, in another 5k words or so.

Probably longer... This story just keeps getting closer to the end, but doesn't seem to want to end.

First drafts, what're you gonna do? :Shrug: