Not open for further replies.

adtabb

Quiet Normally, Loud when Provoked
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilbrownwrite.wordpress.com
Trying to better understand humor

I am trying to better understand humor writing.

I have to traget groups I would like to write for, one of them is greeting cards, and both ask for humor. After two rejections, one of which spoke as if they did not find my writing humorous, I think I need a better understanding of what constititues humor in writing.

Any suggestions? When I read what they already have, and consider humorous, I really don't see any difference between my writing, and what they have, so I am missing some tiny key somewhere.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...a good way to go with the greeting cards might be to stop by a store and read a whole bunch, and even jot down the greetings in them if you can. Different companies probably have different preferences of humor. So you could also get an idea of what sort of material to send. Good luck.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to better understand humor writing.

I have to traget groups I would like to write for, one of them is greeting cards, and both ask for humor. After two rejections, one of which spoke as if they did not find my writing humorous, I think I need a better understanding of what constititues humor in writing.

Any suggestions? When I read what they already have, and consider humorous, I really don't see any difference between my writing, and what they have, so I am missing some tiny key somewhere.

Good morning Adtabb. Great to have a new face around here.

As far as what Greeting Card companies are looking for may I suggest that you follow this link .

Additionally, look at what people around you find funny. When you write your cards, are you handing them around for critique?

Also, read funny stuff. Watch sitcoms.

And hang around...there are some funny people around here somewhere.

adtabb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I solved the humor problem - sorta.

They want "Maxine" style humor. What I call groan humor, and I don't like it, or know anyone who does.

So I have two choices -

1. Don't try to write what I don't really know or like.

or

2. Think of it as a challenge and try again.

Have you ever rose to the challenge of writing something you didn't know or understand? Was it successful?

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
I've found it always seems to play out that if I'm not writing in my voice, the work isn't "on." Maybe find someplace where your humor work is a better fit?

JMHO,

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever rose to the challenge of writing something you didn't know or understand? Was it successful?

Yep. A magazine I sold a couple of stories to said they wanted ghost stories. Never written one, and never thought I'd do so. But, hey, it was worth 80 quid a shot for 1,500 words. So, I rose to the challenge and wrote some ghost stories. They were comedic because that's what I do. The mag bought em.

Don't know what Maxine humour means, but what have you got to lose by having a go at something out of your comfort zone? You might find you can do it, even if you hate it.

adtabb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't know what Maxine humour means, but what have you got to lose by having a go at something out of your comfort zone? You might find you can do it, even if you hate it.

Maxine humor is middled aged plus - usually discusses or uses plays on words about body parts that do, or don't work anymore. While those jokes are okay among those who share them same issues, they aren't really the types of jokes most people think about showing to acquaintances.

I am going to try to create a few, and see if they get rejected or accepted. Not sure if I'll get it right, but it's worth a try!

Actaully, I have a ghost story I have been trying to find a market for for three months. Good luck.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Maxine humor is middled aged plus - usually discusses or uses plays on words about body parts that do, or don't work anymore. While those jokes are okay among those who share them same issues, they aren't really the types of jokes most people think about showing to acquaintances.

I am going to try to create a few, and see if they get rejected or accepted. Not sure if I'll get it right, but it's worth a try!

Actaully, I have a ghost story I have been trying to find a market for for three months. Good luck.
I liked Maxine before I was close to middle aged and I have a variety of friends who pass her comics around. So, while they aren't the jokes you may show to your acquaintances, they are certainly passed around a great deal by others.

Humor is very subjective. It's worth it to try, but not everyone laughs at the same things. You may not be the right fit for this market, but I'm sure there are other markets out there where you will fit -- you just have to find them.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
How about you try a couple jokes out on us and we will tell you if they are funny (or fit within the genre)?

Status
Not open for further replies.