• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Crooked Lane Books / Quick Brown Fox & Co.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
They say they are an imprint of Quick Brown Fox & Co. When I googled the name I just got the FB page of a furniture restoration company. There was a UK publisher called Quick Brown Fox but they seem to have gone out of business.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is not a vanity press nor a UK Press. It's the new division of a company that did book club books for a long time. I know the ed director there and have sold to him at his previous job. I believe they only take agented submissions, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you cleared that up Janet. That makes a huge difference.

Looks like they all came from excellent backgrounds. The site is great, I think. Very professional. I just wish they had some books, or maybe I'm missing that.

You can submit directly, you don't need an agent. They have a short and to the point submission guideline on the FAQ page.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.crookedlanebooks.com/

They don't have any books, at least from what I can see. When they say "partner with authors" it has me leery thinking it might be a vanity press.
I'm seeing more legitimate publishers use language like that, I think because of the new popularity of the new self publishing. They want to emphasize that they will pay the author a fair share.

JohannaC

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to Crooked Lane Books yesterday. I would be interested in hearing from others regarding their experiences with this small pub.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
My agent just subbed my supernatural crime thriller to Matt Martz at Crooked Lane - said he was "excited to read it." Hopefully there will be a positive response. I really like the looks of this company. They have lots of great experience in the New York publishing world and are distributed by the Legato/Perseus Books Group.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I like them too. I sent them a YA about a year and a half ago (when I was posting before.) I got a quick reply 10 days later and it was a sweet rejection saying that I had a good hook and that I had an engaging protagonist but the focus was younger than what they're looking for. The query mentioned her in high school so I figure that's too young.

I submitted another one just recently, not remembering about the YA issue. This one they're graduating (not sure if that makes a difference) but it's going longer than the quick reply from last time. I'm thinking I might still run into the age problems though. It was worth a shot. They look like a really good company to work with. They're also on Netgalley which is great for the books, more reviews, more exposure to libraries too.

MysteryMavin

Registered
Reaction score
I have a three-book deal with them for my cozy mystery series. They are great to work with so far, and now have quite a few books out (and a lot more scheduled for release soon).

Very professional and the editing has been excellent and thorough.

smbishop

Registered
Reaction score
I have a three-book deal with them for my cozy mystery series. They are great to work with so far, and now have quite a few books out (and a lot more scheduled for release soon).

Very professional and the editing has been excellent and thorough.

Congratulations LucidDreamer!

I recently submitted to Crooked Lane. Could you give me an idea regarding their response times--from query to partial requests to full requests, etc.?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Old Editor

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They have been on a buying frenzy. Matt Martz is a former Macmillan editor (Minotaur), and has managed to woo away top-notch big-house editors to their company (Ann Brewer, Faith Black). Their editors contact agents from time to time, even call, in order to see what they have on their lists and CL might want. I've not seen their contract, but they brag that it's great, with nice advances, etc. Anyone here that can give us some insight into their contract?

James

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Looking to replace my current small publisher. Submitting today. CL site promises reply in two weeks or its a pass. Keep you posted. Wish me luck!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
My Cat Rescue series is published by Crooked Lane. They publish hardcovers and sell mainly to book clubs and libraries. My agent said their contract is good and the advances are standard and paid pretty much on time. Right now I'm waiting to see if they want any more books in my Cat Rescue series. The second one comes out next week.

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
I have a full with Matt Martz and am hoping like hell he likes it. They seem like a great publisher.

Anyone here know how long they usually take with full MSs? If it is a "no," do they let you know?

MysteryMavin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm published with them. Book 3 in my series comes out in Feb. -- currently contracted for 2 more books in that series.
They do pay advances, which is rare for a mid-list pub. at this point, esp. those that focus on mysteries/thrillers.
My editor is great, and they do pay out their advances and royalties as they say they will. Which is also (sadly) becoming more and more rare in this biz.
As for a time frame for repsonses, I'm not sure. I'm agented, and my first series was picked up fast (one week after my agent pitched!) Subsequent deals (additional books, any new series, etc. have taken a little longer, but that's a different sort of thing than pitching a first book).

Tench

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I sent a query to Crooked Lane and one of the editors replied that she'd "love to take a look." As I'd attached the first two chapters with the query, I wasn't sure if she wanted the full MS or not. Anyway, I sent it on, though didn't get an acknowledgment from her. Does anyone have any response times for them?

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know about contracts or response times, but they really get some of their books out there! I read a CL book called Little Darlings that has a slew of rave reviews from major outlets and a movie deal. My local bookseller had an ARC, which is always a good sign for a book. I was surprised because I’d never heard of the publisher.

Then—full disclosure—a CL editor contacted me about blurbing one of their YA books, which I did. Again, a sign that they do stuff for their books/authors.

Jessie13

Registered
Reaction score
Further to message from Tench, it's now 2022. I just queried Crooked Land and the requested a full copy of my manuscript. Now I'm wondering about the turn-around time is on receiving a full, if anyone has any info. Thanks!

KristiJ

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristimjones.com
Further to message from Tench, it's now 2022. I just queried Crooked Land and the requested a full copy of my manuscript. Now I'm wondering about the turn-around time is on receiving a full, if anyone has any info. Thanks!
Hi Jessie13, Did yo ever get a response on your full from Crooked Lane? They asked for one from me and I'm wondering how long to wait before moving on. Thanks!