How do you become a freelance writer?

vinralfakyn2014

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so, people keep telling me you can make money by writing essays and articles for people as a freelance writer. But, I have no idea how to go about that. Especially considering I am a teenager. Any help?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
How do you become a freelance writer?

you query a newspaper or a magazine with an idea. then, if they like the idea...you're asked to write and submit the article. you only have to be a good writer and have a good idea that the editor is interested in. doesn't matter how old you are.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Also, do your homework before you contact a publication; check the length and format of the articles they publish so you'll know what style they prefer to print. A great book to check out is Jenna Glatzer's Make a Living as a Freelance Writer, many on this board have used this to get our feet wet! :)

vinralfakyn2014

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... That's all there is to it? All I keep seeing is sites with people advertising and then you have to pay to contact them.... I like the sounds of this much better. =)
But what kind of letter should you send them exactly?

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hmm... That's all there is to it? All I keep seeing is sites with people advertising and then you have to pay to contact them.... I like the sounds of this much better. =)
But what kind of letter should you send them exactly?

You research a magazine that you want to query...find out what kind of articles they publish, research their guidelines, etc. Then you send the editor a query letter pitching your article idea.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
You should check out some books - The Writer's Market is a good one, I also like The Renegade Writer and Query Letters that Rock - the latter will provide details about what kind of letter to send. You may be able to find these books and others at the library. There's also some great magazines - The Writer is particularly good.
Also, always stay away from sites that want you to pay them. Your instinct was correct about them.
Good luck!

vinralfakyn2014

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious as to which sites you're looking at where you are paying them and why that's better?
I meant this (what you are saying) is better than that. I'd have to look them up again something like the essaybroker.com or the like.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'm down a quart of coffee also, but did anyone refer OP to our fabulous stickies in Freelance?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Something else too, to think about.

There are some websites you can write for that pay money for writing blog entries, essays, etc. And some members at AW do write for these. There are many that have people around the world bidding on the jobs, and the lowest bidder gets the job. I recommend against this practice because ultimately you're going to write a 1,500 word article for $5.

That's ridiculous pay for writing.

If you're serious about the whole freelance writing thing, do what others in this thread have suggested already. I'll reiterate.

Go to the news stand and pick out magazines you'd like to write for. Read them and see what the articles are like.

Check Writers Market 2009 for their submission guidelines. Many of these magazines are closed to freelancers, and they sometimes won't say that on their websites. For instance, Entertainment Weekly is closed to freelancers.

If you have a topic in mind for a particular magazine, you write the query letter which is a brief description of the article, its length, its audience, and your writing credits. See the AW forum "Query Letter Hell" on how to write effective queries.

Submit to the magazine and wait.

Magazine article submissions are highly competitive. Magazines get jillions of queries and only publish certain amounts of articles per issue. Oftentimes they favor the writers who already write for them.

But if you do break in, payment, for an average size, 1,500 word to 2,000 word article could be between $200 and $500, maybe more, depending on the magazine. Writers Market will list the rates paid. The individual magazines' websites will not.

Once your query is accepted, you have to produce the article. They'll give you a deadline, and they expect professional quality. If you deliver less than what they expect, although they will edit it, they may never use you again.

However, if they like you, they'll contact you with articles they'll want you to write in the future.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
I was in your boat about sixteen years ago. I was one of the first kids on my block with a computer and internet connection and I struck gold. I was given the opportunity to write for America Online and this afforded me free unlimited internet service when such a thing was rather expensive for the average joe.

From there, using the Writer's Market and the AOL Writer's forum, I was able to slowly and surely get work writing for regional papers and magazines. It isn't easy and you must prepare yourself for rejection. The advice in this thread is the exact advice you need at this time. I only caution to perhaps keep your age a mystery, those established in the industry have a hard time taking a kid seriously until you show them that you are no joke.

Best of luck. It is a hell of a time if you can make it work.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Browse around this site--there is tons of information. Check out other sites about freelancing. Don't pay to write or pay for info on writing. Read Jenna's book. Think about what you know. Think about teen markets and what you might be able to write for them.

Just a few things to get you started! Good luck and all the best to you!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I always thought you had to be a writer with such a pure heart that you could just pull the lance from the stone... Yeah, I guess I really should have thought about that more, a writer with a pure heart, yeesh what was I thinking?