William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (CBS/AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has vetoed a bill that would have placed strict limits on law enforcement agencies using unmanned aerial drones for surveillance.

The governor’s office announced that the bill was one of more than a dozen pieces of legislation he vetoed Sunday.
AB1327 by Republican Assemblyman Jeff Gorrell of Camarillo would have required government agencies to get warrants before conducting surveillance with drones and would have required that they publicly announce their intent to buy and use them.

It was passed by the Legislature in the last days of its session last month.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/09/28/brown-vetoes-bill-limiting-drone-surveillance/

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'll have that Dead Kennedy's song stuck in my head the rest of the day. Thank you, William.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
There is no ban at any level, local, state or federal. There was only a bill, and it's been vetoed.

Gov. Jerry Brown has vetoed a bill that would have placed strict limits on law enforcement agencies using unmanned aerial drones for surveillance.

ETA: If everyone used present tense instead of past for some reason I misunderstood... my bad. :)

Last edited:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we have a timely word from comic news commentator John Oliver (just last night I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4NRJoCNHIs

15 minutes, not safe for work, and while I usually support President Obama, this video has very unflattering things to say about him and his usage of drones.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Poor William. What a wasted thread.

I'm guessing the lack of outrage at this action is because it was Jerry Brown and not Chris Christie.

I mean, Jerry's cool, man. If he's harshin' our buzz, he must have a really good reason.

Amirite?

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing the lack of outrage at this action is because it was Jerry Brown and not Chris Christie.

I mean, Jerry's cool, man. If he's harshin' our buzz, he must have a really good reason.

Amirite?

It sucks. There's not much else to say. Is there?

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Great title. I read the entire thread just so someone would explain the reference to uncool me. Well done. ...By the way I pretty much take it for granted that I'm being surveilled (is that a verb?) pretty much all the time... from cameras on the metro I ride to the key strokes I'm typing at this very instant. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching. Thank goodness no one is claiming that the watchers are reptilian aliens from Alpha Centauri. Or the Illuminati. I draw the line there. I think. Maybe.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Thank goodness no one is claiming that the watchers are reptilian aliens from Alpha Centauri.

Most of us here take it as a given that the powers that be are largely composed of cold-blooded green-eyed creatures from another world.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Most of us here take it as a given that the powers that be are largely composed of cold-blooded green-eyed creatures from another world.
I'm not so sure about cold-blooded and green-eyed, but there's no doubt they live in a different universe than the average Joe or Jane on the street.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
By the way I pretty much take it for granted that I'm being surveilled (is that a verb?) pretty much all the time... from cameras on the metro I ride to the key strokes I'm typing at this very instant.

But the important question is: are you okay with that?

If so, why?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, metaphorically, I'll go along with that.

Now if you'd said "slimy" or "blood-sucking," I wouldn't have needed to make the leap to metaphor.

Reptilians aren't really slimy. I considered scaly, but I like scales.

Humans were scaly when we first crawled out of the earth.

I considered blood-sucking, but the reptilians of Alpha Centauri don't suck blood either.

All in all, I'm not sure why reptilians get such a bad rap. Reptiles are our long lost siblings.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

Reptilians aren't really slimy. I considered scaly, but I like scales.

Humans were scaly when we first crawled out of the earth.

I considered blood-sucking, but the reptilians of Alpha Centauri don't suck blood either.

All in all, I'm not sure why reptilians get such a bad rap. Reptiles are our long lost siblings.
Who's talking about reptiles? I thought we were talking about the powers that be. :D

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Technically, if they're not descended from the common ancestor of all sauropsids, they can't be reptiles phylogenetically. Reptilioid, please.