Economic Meltdown and Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering how the economic meltdown is going to effect publishing. Getting a book out is very expensive and I would imagine that major publishers tend to leverage their products - which means they go on credit. But I'm just guessing. I know -nothing- about that side of it, only that it is very expensive and their agreeing to take on your book isn't chump change.

Anyone with a better feel for this care to add their $750billion cents?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what's going in the US at all. I'm a Science guy and all these shares, finances, bailings etc... make no sense to my brain.

What I DO get is that prices are rising, and life can get harder for every person on the planet.
How nice.

I truly hope it doesn't affect publishing.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a science guy too. A rocket scientist to be exact. I didn't understand it either for a long time. Then I realized I was trying to be logical. My extensive knowledge of math and science is useless here because it is all about greed. Bundling bad mortgages and selling them as A-rated securities is basically fraud. (The root of the credit crisis) Selling things you don't own, buying them back and returning them to the owner, then pocketing the difference is still theft.(selling short) And at the end of the day, the money is coming from somewhere.

With less credit available, and NY publishers undoubtedly heavily invested in Lehman, Stearns, etc., there is no way it can't affect the industry.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I can't even begin to speculate, but I've been reading articles in Publishers Marketplace and on various industry blogs, all on this subject. The consensus so far is that book stores and publishing houses may tighten their belts a bit, but the industry isn't going anywhere. Much like movies and TV, people will always want entertainment to take their minds off the real life crap.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Since credit is getting harder to come by, and retail customers are tightening their belts, I think that independent bookstores will get squeezed even tighter than they already are, so we may see an acceleration in independent bookstore closures. On the other hand, with the real estate market tanking, those who don't have a long lease and don't own their own buildings may find that they can reduce their overhead by leasing a less expensive space.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think publishers are going to be a lot of selective. Money will be tight and they will focus more on the surefire authors and genres. Small publishers may get squeezed out unless they can somehow finance their operations and handle the competition and tight market. But people will always need entertainment -- especially during hard times -- and books are one of the cheapest. The writers' strike and the impending actors' strike may affect the movie and TV industries in the next two years, so books and the Internet may become more essential. I see more independents go to the e-Book/Internet route though -- better distribution and less expensive. I see online booksellers such as Amazon or BN are going to do pretty well, as will the Tech sector.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Going by Maestrowork's 31K posts, I shall place my trust in his words.

(PS: I hope 99% of your posts are not in the Office Party. If so, I withdraw my trust immediately). :D

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
What's scary, Darzian, is that posts you make in Office Party don't count towards your post count. Consider how many posts therefore Maestro ACTUALLY has made here . . .

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
What's scary, Darzian, is that posts you make in Office Party don't count towards your post count. Consider how many posts therefore Maestro ACTUALLY has made here . . .

o-m-g

Bloody freakish hell!

I couldn't believe that and just tested it.
Its true.

He joined just 3 yrs back?
It's not possible.

I have no words left to communicate the blank state of my brain.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw a segment on the local news about a significant increase in people using the library to check out books rather than going to the book store to buy them.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
There will be changes in publishing, probably less books bought, but I have to wonder does that affect the writer? Do we think, "Well since publishers won't be buying as many books I might as well stop writing"?

While it is important to know what is going on in the industry, I just don't know what we as authors are supposed to do about it. Yup, sad, economy not so good, I guess I can lower my expectations of publication, but does that stop me from still writing my book? Not really.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
o-m-g

Bloody freakish hell!

I couldn't believe that and just tested it.
Its true.

He joined just 3 yrs back?
It's not possible.

I have no words left to communicate the blank state of my brain.

Yes it is possible, however posts in OP used to count "back in the day." So some of those were gotten in threads such as these.

But Ray is still a post machine!

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Mscelina posted a link to a great article in New York Magazine about the current state of publishing and its future here. Very enlightening. :)

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
There will be changes in publishing, probably less books bought, but I have to wonder does that affect the writer? Do we think, "Well since publishers won't be buying as many books I might as well stop writing"?

While it is important to know what is going on in the industry, I just don't know what we as authors are supposed to do about it. Yup, sad, economy not so good, I guess I can lower my expectations of publication, but does that stop me from still writing my book? Not really.

However, if any writers ARE so inclined (ie, "Well, it's not going to pay off, so maybe I should stop writing"), I would encourage them to do so.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you were already putting yourself through hell if the only reason you were writing was for money. You ought to have been out there making bad mortgages, selling them off, then moving to the Caiman Islands. ;)

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you were already putting yourself through hell if the only reason you were writing was for money. You ought to have been out there making bad mortgages, selling them off, then moving to the Caiman Islands. ;)

Could I go to the islands with all the off-shore banks, instead? I'm not too fond of the little alligators...

;)

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
There have already been changes in publishing due to the economy.

Longtime writers have been told they won't be offered new contracts. Writers with good sales records are being asked to take a cut in advances. And new writers coming on board are being asked to consider "alternative" payment arrangements, such as little to no advance but a royalty rate that may be a point or two higher.

Instead of addressing wasteful practices common in publishing, they as usual lean toward the belief that the writers should be asked to bear the brunt of downsizing and cost-cutting. (Because we're not supposed to be making a living at this anyway. Right?)

And by "wasteful practices," by the way, I don't just mean printing hundreds of thousands of copies when they know they won't sell half of them, but truly stupid things like using express shipping services unnecessarily. I received a cover proof yesterday, and it came via overnight shipping.

There was absolutely no reason why it should have. Nor did some foreign copies I recieved the other day need to be shipped Priority. But they were. (Royalties, on the other hand, they send First Class. Go figure.) I know it sounds like a little thing, but when you multiply it by the number of cover proofs sent out to authors every week ...

Make no mistake, publishing is being hit by the economy. How much trickles down to the authors depends on many factors, including which house(s) you write for and which cost-cutting measures they've chosen to implement.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw a segment on the local news about a significant increase in people using the library to check out books rather than going to the book store to buy them.
Wait a minute: the library? You can check out books for free? Why didn't anyone tell me?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I don't think the concept of the novel is broken. Movies simply can't adequately represent a novel experience. They can approximate it, or they might deliver a similar and fresh experience based on the novel--but that isn't the same thing.

The medium of the novel will continue to change, but there will still be demand for hefty textual narratives.

Status
Not open for further replies.