How can a book that starts like this become a best-seller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or I can find the book and see what the third, fourth, fifth, etc., paragraphs have to say. :e2poke:

Or..you can just click on the link in the original post, toolbox.
<mockingtone>Me meme me me me meeem mee meme mee me me *pbbt pbbt pbbbbbbbt!*</mockingtone>

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Seeing the mention of Mary Poppins actually put me off--I don't like that movie. The setting on a hospital's roof also didn't intrigue me--I've hung out with too many urban explorers, I guess. Don't feel compelled to click on the link. Basically, boring opening.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
On Michael Robothom. Suspect was the first novel from Robothom. He ventured into writing fiction after ghost writing many sucessful biographies. He got a good break with suspect and has since produced many top quality crime fiction novels. Plenty of awards as well including his second Ned Kelly award last week for his latest book (I think he also may have received a Dagger award).

You could learn a lot about writing by reading a Robothom book.

JJ

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I liked it too but I guess you're into thrillers and that immediate grab to the throat kind of novel. My reading taste alters according to my mood or time constraints. If I haven't much time to read I want to be grabbed right away. If I'm feeling kinda lazy and can have a long afternoon in the sun I prefer a more sedate pace.
Linnea

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the opening enough. Though I would probably automatically buy any book written by a RobotHam.

Nicole

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the answer is simple:

It's a conspiracy.

And judging by the number of replies in this thread alone, I'd say it's a rather large one.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I. Want. That. BOOK. OMFG. I just finished the excerpt and I am so fargin' JEALOUS. I wanna writ tht gud!

It's not what I usually read, either. His setting and description were so vivid, and the dialogue felt natural. I could hear them speaking to each other and the sounds of the city below them. I looked at the synopsis and I've got to finish reading this.

How can a book that starts like that become a best-seller? Because it's GOOD, dammit. Again, it's not my usual choice for reading material but if the rest of the book is like that, I'm willing to change my mind!

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

If I only have twenty seconds to scan this book in a bookstore, I would put it down. There is no thrill in the first page, nothing is happening, and frankly, I don't give a hoot about what you can see from the roof or in the roof, hospital or not.

Unless, the hero is going to witness a murder from up there, or spot a dead body, or something even slightly thrilling, this scene has no point. At least not right in the opening lines of the first chapter of a thriller.

But then, I have already shelved the book, so I wouldn't know.

ED
Wow. I just read the excerpt and all I can say is: Are you kidding me?

The first page starts with a kid with cancer about to kill himself and the protagonist trying to figure out how to stop him.

That's not gripping? That doesn't make you want to find out what happens next?!?!

Um, while it's not "witnessing a murder" or "spotting a dead body", it's the next best thing. The author has set up the possibility (it's called suspense) that you might see one of those two things! (Okay witness a 'suicide' instead of a 'murder' - but still a death!)

Wow.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Of course Edmontonian wouldn't know that because he didn't get past the first two sentences :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I already know the answer to my question (the author has penned a lot of non-fiction books), but just wanted to bring this issue to everyone's attention. I'm talking about "Suspect" the first book of Michael Robotham fiction. While we are taught by almost everyone to start the story with a catchy line, to grasp the reader's attention and all the good advice, read for yourself to see how this story starts...

Personally, I agree. It didn't grab me, and I found the opening kind of awkward. But then I'm notoriously picky, so I don't know. I've also never heard of this guy before and have no idea what else he writes, so I'm kind of a blank slate there.

Here are my thoughts...

From the pitched slate roof of the Royal Marsden Hospital, if you look This was awkward to me...the "from" needs a verb before it, like "Peering from" or "Standing on" instead of just an ambiguous preposition. between the chimney pots and TV aerials, you see more chimney pots and TV aerials. It's like that scene from Mary Poppins where all the chimney sweeps dance across the rooftops twirling their brooms. I thought the reference was a bit of a cheap way to get by with description without having to describe anything; it's a major turn-off for me to get that kind of thing this early, but that may be just me...

From up here I can just see the dome of the Royal Albert Hall. On a clear day I could probably see all the way to Hampstead Heath, although I doubt if the air in London ever gets that clear. Nothing wrong here.

Just my opinion. I'm not all that into thrillers, and don't care if there's immediate action or not. But like I said, I'm notoriously picky as far as style goes.

ETA: I read more of the excerpt, and I liked the rest of it better. Personally, I'd just lose the very first paragraph and call it a day.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to agree. I just finished reading the excerpt as well. Loved it.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it. I clicked on the link and while I normally don't like first person, present tense, this book is going on my list for Amazon.

VoltShadow

Internet Ninja of 1337
Registered
Reaction score
Damned, now you made me read it. And there's another fraggin book I have to purchase from B&N or Amazon. I'm a bit disapointed that he used numbers for the temperature, but chasing a three down to zero with the windchill, that actually flows very well. So overall I'm impressed with the first page in all honesty.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I like it.

But then, what do I know about openings? A Beta just shot down one of mine, and it hurts!

(If you're reading this, my wonderful Beta, thank you for your honesty.)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The opening's okay with me, though I too found the first sentence a little awkward. I'd read on.

I'd say Mr. Robotham owes Edmontonian a TY letter. No publicity is bad publicity, eh? ;)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
JJ Cooper:
His latest release, Shatter, is narrated by the same character.

I totally misread your post as saying that the next book was called "Shatner", which led to a daydream about William Shatner stalking the rooftops of London's hospitals and singing Chim-chinee.

*goes for brain bleach*

If I was judging a book on the opening couple of lines, then depending on how I felt that day (i.e. if I was in the mood for a more winsome narrative voice), I'd read on. But usually I'll give the first few pages a go and read the jacket blurb before making a decision.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.