Hello there

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Chris and I'm interested in making a living freelance writing. My interests are in politics, skiing, and travel, and I'm headed to East Asia at the end of the month to travel indefinitely around the world. While I have a side business that pays the bills at the moment I do hope to eventually transition to making most of my money through my writing.

I come from a sales background, and this is my first attempt at writing professionally after gaining that experience. It's amazing how differently I view it now, as I simultaneously dig for markets and develop ideas for pieces, I see how this can come together and actually work. Before I suppose I viewed writers as those who were lucky, 'discovered,' or what have you, one in a million who had to toil for decades before they struck it rich (if they ever did).

Anyway my main focus right now is to identify an alternative to travel writing. Ironically I don't care for most travel writing, and the stuff I do care for (Tim Cahill) doesn't really fit me as a writer. It also seems like a very oversaturated market.

Tim Cahill, for example is a great writer because he is first not a writer but a storyteller. These things are related but not the same. I'm first a strong writer and I think quite bad at telling stories. That would seem to lend itself more to coverage, matter-of-fact type stuff. Whatever my place is I would hope it provides an excuse for me to travel extensively.

Anyway I look forward to meeting folks here working to get a better sense of the markets that would best fit me. Thanks for reading!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chris!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum