After a long break. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
. . .I received my first rejection. The agent read a partial, requested a full, and rejected it. Now I remember why I needed the break in the first place.

Here's a bit of her email to me:
Agent said:
You have a great imagination - I love the premise - and you're a good writer, but I'm sad to say that I just wasn't passionate enough about this <snip> . . . I wish I could offer constructive suggestions, but I thought the dialogue was fine, the characters well-crafted, and the plot well-conceived. I think it's the kind of thing that really is subjective - why some people adore the book on the top of the NYTimes bestseller list, and others don't.

*sigh* I guess this is where I get to have a five minute pity-party then get on with life.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
the agent said some wonderful things about your work, SG.
Take that part with you and find the agent that will be passionate about it.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Trish.

I think I'm actually going to shelve that book for now. Hopefully one of these days, I'll actually write a novel with that super-special subjective "it" element. I guess this one just doesn't have "it." Someday though, someday.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the R. Try not to get too down about what was (or was not) said . . . this was a form. (Folio by any chance?). It was most likely a subjective thing, which means keep sending out queries! Good luck!
Nope, not Folio, and the part I snipped mentioned a few characters by name and chapter references, so if it was form, it was personalized. It also had spelling mistakes (minor ones), so I'm thinking this was personal. I'd feel better about it if it wasn't though.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Just made brownies, too. Have one.

And keep sending it out!
Mmm, brownies. Thanks!

I will keep submitting, just not with this book. I have a few I've finished, but I think I'll wait until I'm done with my current WIP and then sub that one.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. My pity-party is over now. :D

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, not Folio, and the part I snipped mentioned a few characters by name and chapter references, so if it was form, it was personalized. It also had spelling mistakes (minor ones), so I'm thinking this was personal. I'd feel better about it if it wasn't though.

Makes you almost wish you could send a rejection letter to the agent saying, I appreciate all your thoughtful and kind words, but I'm going to have to reject this based on all these spelling errors...

:)

Good luck next time. Don't give up.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Makes you almost wish you could send a rejection letter to the agent saying, I appreciate all your thoughtful and kind words, but I'm going to have to reject this based on all these spelling errors...
:D It's always fun to day dream about doing just that.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
:D It's always fun to day dream about doing just that.

Yep....how they gripe about not having THEIR name specifically listed in the query letter - but then send back a rejection with "Dear Author"...(Ummm..MY name isn't 'Author')

How they ask for a SASE...but then never send anything back in it...

How the "this story lacks originality form letter rejection" is in and of itself unoriginal...

Just to list a few...

:)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Retitle the novel: That Certain Special It. :D

That's a bummer. I have some partials out, and while I love to daydream about "any day now" they'll ask for the full - - the majority of my brain is just waiting around, kicking that rock, expecting the "No thanks, you vile, absurd moron. But I'm sure another agent will love it, so piss off" email.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Retitle the novel: That Certain Special It. :D

That's a bummer. I have some partials out, and while I love to daydream about "any day now" they'll ask for the full - - the majority of my brain is just waiting around, kicking that rock, expecting the "No thanks, you vile, absurd moron. But I'm sure another agent will love it, so piss off" email.
Ha, I love it. That should be the new form letter for agents everywhere.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
It's probably part form, part personal. They might have included some personalized details, which is good (it means they read it!).

Someone else mentioned this once (It's under the Folio thread on B & BC, that's why I guessed it):

"I can't figure out if what I just received is a form letter or a personalized rejection letter, and I'm hoping someone else who's received a rejection from Folio can enlighten me. (This is in response to a cold query sent with a 30 page partial.)
The letter looks like a Xeroxed copy.
It's addressed to "Dear Author" and is unsigned (though from Erin Cartwright Niumata).
The first and third paragraphs read as standard rejctions...But the middle paragraph says: "You have a great imagination - I love the premise - and you're a good writer, but I'm sad to say that I just wasn't passionate enough about the word to ask to see more. I wish I could offer constructive suggestions, but I thought the dialogue was fine, the characters well-crafted, and the plot well-conceived. I think it's the kind of thing that really is subjective - why some people adore the book on the top of the NYTimes bestseller list, and others don't."
I'd like to think that the middle paragraph shows that Erin really read my chapters and liked them. But then why is the letter addressed to "dear author" and why does it look like a xerox?
Any enlightenment on this topic would be appreciated. I obviously don't want to write back to Folio and ask them..."

But don't shelve that puppy unless you've gotten tons of rejections--and maybe not even then!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry to hear it. The last time I took a break I went 2 years before trying again. I hope you had an excellent pity party. :)

The_Empress

How they ask for a SASE...but then never send anything back in it...

Yah. That's my "favourite" so far: I live in Canada, so I dutifully followed adivice, rules, guidelines, and I ordered stamps from the US Postal Service webpage, at no small cost to my little pocket. No problem. Glad to do it. Whatever. What really ticked me off was getting an EMAIL rejection from one of the agents I submitted to, when my submission had dutifully been accompanied by a SASE... I've received responses from the US in my SASEs, so I KNOW the postage is correct... This agency doesn't even accept email sumbissions in the first place, so... WTF??? What are they? Steaming stamps off envelopes and recycling them to send letters to their grandma's best friend somewhere in Ontario?

Oh, and the email actually came from Ms. Agent's assistant, and she didn't even have the courtesy to type in a subject line. I'm not impressed. Sure, she bothered to include the book title... Big effort, copying and pasting. I don't think I'm sorry to have missed the boat on that one.

*grumble grumble*:rant:

OK. Rant over. Thanks for listening. On to the next one! Good luck and chin up everyone!

:e2flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.