Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
So, here's what I've wondered a lot lately, and I wonder if anyone else wonders this or even more, if anyone has any insight! As far as queries go, I get some rejections back, like, two days later...some don't get back to me until a month later...unfortunately no requests for more yet! So, I guess what I'm wondering is if it takes longer to reject, is it a.) that they just have THAT may submissions to go through b.) they actually thought about it, maybe or c.) something else entirely. Any thoughts?

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
thought: Rejection decisions are fast. Rejection notices are a get around to it thing.

ETA: Rejection could take 30 seconds. The time to get around to any part of it is anyones guess. :)

Last edited:

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
As far as queries go, I get some rejections back, like, two days later...some don't get back to me until a month later...unfortunately no requests for more yet! So, I guess what I'm wondering is if it takes longer to reject, is it a.) that they just have THAT may submissions to go through b.) they actually thought about it, maybe or c.) something else entirely. Any thoughts?

I read for an online mag that accepts e-mail submissions, but I'm guessing it's a similar process for other venues.

First, we divide them up. What that means is that someone might have sent something in earlier and gotten their piece returned later simply because one of us was working faster. We leapfrog over each other, so it's fairly random. Within our group, we read from oldest first to newest first.

If I read a piece and decide to reject it, the letter will go out right then. If the first page is good enough, I might set the piece aside for a day or two until I have a few to read, then I can give them a longer block of time.

If it's good enough to go beyond the slush pile, then a response will take longer, but it would mean a different letter.

Obviously, if you're talking snail mail, there's also the problem of what pile you get into and whether that pile gets moved into a corner -- or not.

In general, yes, there really is that much going on and there are that many submissions. This is especially true for agents, who need to take care of their existing clients first. Slush would be read on the train home.

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
I think it really just depends on an agent's workload at the time of your query letter's arrival. You may get lucky and catch an agent on-line when your email comes in... or you may end up at the bottom of the daiyl snail slushpile simply because the postal worker arbitrarily slid your letter to the bottom of his stack. You may query one who just went on maternity leave.

And of course, query letters are not at the top of most agents' to-do list. Some of the newer agents building client list may get back to you immediately, while some of the more established ones will be waist deep working for their actual clients (which is why we will love them when they sign us - but only a little bit, of course).

In short, there's just no hard science or theory to look at here, so I would try not to look too closely for reasons.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

So, here's what I've wondered a lot lately, and I wonder if anyone else wonders this or even more, if anyone has any insight! As far as queries go, I get some rejections back, like, two days later...some don't get back to me until a month later...unfortunately no requests for more yet! So, I guess what I'm wondering is if it takes longer to reject, is it a.) that they just have THAT may submissions to go through b.) they actually thought about it, maybe or c.) something else entirely. Any thoughts?

There is no rhyme or reason. A month is actually pretty fast. I've seen times when it took from two to three months just to read a query.

The only thing time means for certain is that one agent is slower than another, and there could be a thousand reasons for it, ranging from a heavy workload, to being too busy with actually handling writers they already have, to a broken leg, to the flu, to a vacation, to just not being in the mood to read queries.

Likewise, speed can mean a light workload, not always a good thing, or it can mean "I need to get all these queries out of the way so I can take a vacation, go shopping, get some sleep, spend time doing things important to me, etc."

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
In short, there's just no hard science or theory to look at here, so I would try not to look too closely for reasons.
Yeah, it's just rejectomancy. It's fun and all, but I'm not sure it's meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.