Eventual Newbicue

CoraKane

Wood Screws
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corakane.com
I'm going to start out by saying that I'm probably not all that tasty... the whole fat to muscle ratio that makes meat so delicious is umm, not quite right here. Also, I'm a cancer survivor and recently went radioactive. While that did not give me the superpowers I was hoping for, it'll probably sour what little bit of good meat there was, but I'm sure with enough sauce, I'll be palatable.

So anywho, warnings aside, I'm introducing myself. I am, as of yet, unpublished. I have a full horror/thriller manuscript that I have been sending out to agents and saving all of my rejection letters like the sad, glasses wearing, acne prone nerd that picks up the jocks discarded math homework and sniffs it....wait... no, that's pretty accurate.

I'm a mom, and a military wife... I used to have a career, but then I became a mom two more times and it was cheaper for me to stay at home and raise me wee ones, so now I'm pursing my life long goal of getting published. Thankfully, I have some pretty awesome supportive people, namely my husband, but I honestly think that he's scared of me sometimes. But only sometimes. Like when I'm sleep deprived. Which is actually quite often.

Oh and I live in Florida (currently) and it has taken me a bit to introduce myself (I've been a peeping tom of sorts and reading through some of the threads) I have to admit that when I realized that there were quite a few authors here that I admire, I did go a little geekish and do my pure white girl dance, much to the red faced shame of my oldest child. Oh and I squealed. Loudly. My dog did not approve.

Sorry I'm long winded. I have no one to talk to but children during the day. And the dog.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Is a CoraKane something like a hurricane? :D My mom was from Florida and told me they were something to behold.

Congrats on surviving your battle with the dreaded C, and thanks for your family's service.

:welcome:

Chase on the other coast

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I sense a pre-cooked noob.

Welcome, CoraKane. Please do stop by and introduce yourself to the Hound's palates. We'd love to eat you get better acquainted.

:welcome:

CoraKane

Wood Screws
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corakane.com

Wow! Is a CoraKane something like a hurricane? My mom was from Florida and told me they were something to behold.

I didn't think of it that way, but I like it! Cora Kane is going to be my pseudonym.

As far as being newbique.... I'll take it as a good dose of true horror is essential in crafting, correct? I'll just go with that and take a shot (or three or four) before I crawl into the pit of the hounds instead of running out the front door.

Thanks all for the warm (albeit, I'm sure its just from someone stroking the fire in which to roast me with) welcome so far. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better (even if it's from the inside?) on the forum. And advice. I need lots of advice.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Welcome!

What are you waiting for?! Get your behind to the horror hounds thread! My vampire says you wouldn't make good eats, but she's been giving me a hard time. So I'm ignoring her at the moment. *Stokes fire and tries to decide on which seasoning would go best with this kind of newbicue* No, not that one. Or that one either.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Wow! Is a CoraKane something like a hurricane? My mom was from Florida and told me they were something to behold.

I didn't think of it that way, but I like it! Cora Kane is going to be my pseudonym.

As far as being newbique.... I'll take it as a good dose of true horror is essential in crafting, correct? I'll just go with that and take a shot (or three or four) before I crawl into the pit of the hounds instead of running out the front door.

Thanks all for the warm (albeit, I'm sure its just from someone stroking the fire in which to roast me with) welcome so far. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better (even if it's from the inside?) on the forum. And advice. I need lots of advice.
Advice? We're all about advice here, Cora.

For example, I'd recommend a marinade relaxing bath of vinegar, citrus (probably orange juice, lime juice and lemon juice), soy sauce, garlic, and lemon zest, with a sprig of parsley for a garnish. Salt and pepper to taste lead you to the freedom you so desire.

Victor Clairmont

Registered
Reaction score
Good old Florida. I will be down there for Easter. (My grandmother is celebrating her 90th)

Wishing you all the best with your writing and life in general! Welcome to the forums!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'll pass on the newbique. Newbies don't taste very good.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Victor Clairmont

Registered
Reaction score

Have you tried them with salt and pepper? Maybe a little oregano? Cook them just right, crispy on the outside moist and juicy on the inside, and they are like a delicacy to people like Janet Reid from query shark.

Excellent taste with Cajun sauce or Jerk seasoning!

CoraKane

Wood Screws
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corakane.com

I appreciate not being eaten.

I'm really looking forward to this forum. Like I said in my original post, I've been putting queries out there (and I've gotten a few positive rejections...what an oxymoron that is) and I've gotten some flat out No's and the whole process is a bit intimidating and daunting. Also, it's refreshing to know that there are people out there who are not only like minded, but who will give me honest, even brutal, opinions and advice when the time comes.

Also, I really like old retired military guys. I found they come with a variety of personalities, but mostly they all share that camaraderie/general respect for others that really can't be found in a lot of other places. Unless they're of the cantankerous sort with super foul mouths. I really love those! lol.

And did I mention that I only really get to talk to children and animals during the day? That's probably mostly my fault, but I will admit here that I really don't like most people that I have run across in my life outside the internets.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Congrats on beating cancer's butt. I like your voice and your first line pretty much sold me ha-ha. Hey, we've all been rejected here, but the best thing we can do is learn and get better. Which age group do you write?

CoraKane

Wood Screws
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corakane.com
Welcome. Congrats on beating cancer's butt. I like your voice and your first line pretty much sold me ha-ha. Hey, we've all been rejected here, but the best thing we can do is learn and get better. Which age group do you write?

Most def. not a YA writer. I would NOT want anyone younger, than say, 17 reading my novel, but that's partly because I'm a prude? That's probably not the right word at the moment, but in my defense, it's late and I'm still working on my nightly second cup of coffee. (I drink coffee like it's water... it has no effect)

In all reality, I think it's because I'm certain that the youth of today are already corrupted enough. They don't need my characters giving them anymore ideas.

Also, that is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me after a forum introducing. I'm going to print and frame this thread.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Frame it, but you must hang it in the kitchen. Above dog level, of course. You don't want to give him ideas.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Most def. not a YA writer. I would NOT want anyone younger, than say, 17 reading my novel, but that's partly because I'm a prude? That's probably not the right word at the moment, but in my defense, it's late and I'm still working on my nightly second cup of coffee. (I drink coffee like it's water... it has no effect)

In all reality, I think it's because I'm certain that the youth of today are already corrupted enough. They don't need my characters giving them anymore ideas.

Also, that is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me after a forum introducing. I'm going to print and frame this thread.

:snoopy:

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
I got tired of watching my sarcasm fall on the uninterested ears of the dog and child so I turned to the internet and my imaginary friends. Welcome fellow newbie!

CoraKane

Wood Screws
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corakane.com
I got tired of watching my sarcasm fall on the uninterested ears of the dog and child so I turned to the internet and my imaginary friends. Welcome fellow newbie!

I actually find that in most other forums that I belong to, my sarcasm falls onto deaf, uninterested, or ears that belong to people who are much cooler than I am apparently. It's rather refreshing to see that it's not lost here. I'm actually doing my own version of the happy dance at the moment, but since I lack rhythm, it's more of an imaginary dance inside my head where my movements are fluid and don't require copious amounts of alcohol in order to get my grove on.

I'm down to one imaginary friend... and in all actuality, it's really myself.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
I actually find that in most other forums that I belong to, my sarcasm falls onto deaf, uninterested, or ears that belong to people who are much cooler than I am apparently. It's rather refreshing to see that it's not lost here. I'm actually doing my own version of the happy dance at the moment, but since I lack rhythm, it's more of an imaginary dance inside my head where my movements are fluid and don't require copious amounts of alcohol in order to get my grove on.

I'm down to one imaginary friend... and in all actuality, it's really myself.

Is it the snoopy dance? Cause I'm picturing the snoopy dance.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
Yes!

This is forward of me, but I like you Jerrimander. In a completely, going-to- get-excited-to-talk-to-someone-online-platonically kind of way.

Ditto, CoraKane! We can be besties! In an online, never meet in real life, kind of way!