NON-horror fiction and non-fiction that has scared you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just re-read Isaac's Storm, only this time (because I'm a masochist, apparently) I read it while at the beach on vacation, and holy hell, I could barely sleep. I've always been morbidly fascinated and creeped out by storms, even when I was a kid. I've lived on or relatively near a coastline for most of my life and have always understood the terror of any tropical storm. But Christ, reading something like that when you can look out at the sea and realize how easily it can swarm and take you is chilling. There's a specific moment where, during the hurricane, the already flooded Galveston Island sees the water levels rise four feet in a matter of seconds, and it spells out the reality that, "This wasn't a wave, this was the sea itself." There effectively was no more island at that point. Reading that from the sands while facing the Gulf had me frozen to my chair. I had to set the book down and settle my nerves.

Anyone else ever get a strong scare from a work of non-horror fiction or non-fic?

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I really 'enjoyed' Isaac's Storm, too. Similarly, The Perfect Storm gave me chills. The incredible power and destructiveness of the wind and ocean goes straight to the heart of this island girl.

A book I read a while back is still giving me chills. It was about the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. The descriptions of how the burned bodies were found really brought home how hard and how hopelessly those women fought for their lives.

From the far reaches of my memory, I still shudder at Norman Cohen's description of the Anabaptist takeover of Munster and a forgotten historian's description of the St Bartholomew Day Massacre. History books are stuffed full of the horrors.

zebedee

Registered
Reaction score
in a perfectly normal place, listening to the voic
not a specific book, but reading about the holocaust during history at school kept the class quiet

also, whilst bored on holiday as a kid with my grandparents I read their collection of books on the Bermuda Triangle. Made a big impression on my early teenaged mind!

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
To tell you the truth, I never understood why people have had to go through the trouble of creating monsters when true life is scary enough as it is.

I might incorporate this little story into one of my future works one day. It was told to me by my mom. She said that a coworker had moved her elderly mother into her home. One night the mom started screaming, and when the family rushed into her room, she explained that she couldn't remember her mother's face. She had grown up in poverty and they had no family photos. So, when, somehow in the middle in the night, she realized that she couldn't recall her mother's face, she was distraught and horrified.

Who needs Frankenstein after being told that story?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hiroshima, the book written by a reporter (?) who walked around the nuked city afterwards. Dispassionate, factual, informative. One of the most terrifying and depressing books I've ever read.

Two of the scenes that stuck out for me: The widow who eked out a bare living as a seamstress. She heard or was told that if she sank her (metal) sewing machine down the well on her property, it would survive the bomb. When she pulled it out, of course it was rusted and useless. She had no income and no hope in a decimated city. (Granted, the amount of radiation she was being exposed to every minute certainly killed her in a few days, but that scene was a perfect illustration of hope plunging into despair.

Then there was the unexpected scene where the author was walking through a park and came on a small group of men sitting together on the ground, looking up at the sky with eyes that had melted in their sockets and run down their faces.

Scared me senseless.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
… Then there was the unexpected scene where the author was walking through a park and came on a small group of men sitting together on the ground, looking up at the sky with eyes that had melted in their sockets and run down their faces.

Scared me senseless.

Whew! I'll remember that when listening to crackpots who say that the "success" of Hiroshima should be replicated in the Middle East.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
That is a terrifying thought and I for one wish those types of weapons didn't exist.

It may be true that the nukes did indeed save lives on both sides that would have been lost in an open war/siege of Japan. Countless would have died from combat on both sides and countless more would have starved in Japan, but it's still hard to accept the fact the the bombs were the lesser evil.

ASC McLaren

Intended for mature audiences
Registered
Reaction score
One of the scariest books I've ever read, and one of the few to bring me to the brink of vomiting was The Cobra Event by Richard Preston.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Speaking of The Cobra Event, Preston actually worked in an L5 containment laboratory so what he has to say in that book and his several others comes from someone who's been there and done that.

One of his others (his first maybe? - Nope, that was The Hot Zone) is Level 5. There's also The Coming Plague. In one of them Preston goes into depth on the Marburg and Ebola viruses and several near-miss outbreaks that could have occurred if containment had failed (at least one regarding an escaped lab animal in NY or NJ that was infected with Marburg).

Plum Island is good and is about a secret government bio-weapons lab and research facility only a few miles away from New York City.

Zombie CSU is good as it details the expected responses to and containment of a zombie-plague outbreak.

A War Like No Other by Victor Davis Hanson details the wars between Athens and Sparta for domination of the Greek peninsula. Terror, plague, mass death, and more are all contained in this book. Hanson also relates the events back then to events today.

Last edited:

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Most anything about American chattel slavery, especially in the 1820s-1860 United States when things were at their worst. Studying that in grad school literally broke my faith in any sort of inherent decency in humanity. I'm only very slowly regaining my belief that there are many people who treat others well for reasons other than being socially programmed to. Thank God for science, eh? Empathy studies are awesome.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The 19th Wife. I had nightmares that Brigham Young was chasing after me with a chainsaw. And I really wish I was making that up.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Lost Paradise: From Mutiny on the Bounty to a Modern-Day Legacy of Sexual Mayhem, the Dark Secrets of Pitcairn Island Revealed

Man, that's a long title.

Anyway, yeah. That one. A non-fiction book that was so fascinating and well written that it read like fiction. This book *profoundly* disturbed me. Still does. The dynamics of the men and women and children on that island is uber creepy.

I'm sure I have more, but that was the first one to come to mind. I should think on this a little more. :idea:

ETA: Thought of another. The Great Influenza. What I remember being horrified by was the body count and the stress it places on a community in various ways.

Last edited:

redfalcon

Registered
Reaction score
Hidden Horrors:Japanese war crimes in WW II.

They make the Nazis seem tame.

When I was stationed in S. Korea an optometrist near base told me how he and his brother were forced to train an kamikaze pilots. The Japanese Army was bad news for anyone "conquered".

Twisted

Apprentice Wordworker
Registered
Reaction score
Helter Skelter
The Hot Zone
Black Rain
Ebola

... to name a few

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I never understood why people have had to go through the trouble of creating monsters when true life is scary enough as it is.

I might incorporate this little story into one of my future works one day. It was told to me by my mom. She said that a coworker had moved her elderly mother into her home. One night the mom started screaming, and when the family rushed into her room, she explained that she couldn't remember her mother's face. She had grown up in poverty and they had no family photos. So, when, somehow in the middle in the night, she realized that she couldn't recall her mother's face, she was distraught and horrified.

Who needs Frankenstein after being told that story?
My mother had Alzheimer's and watching that is worse than any horror film. But people created monsters to explore real horror in a different form. The monsters stand in for humans or for acts of God or whatever.

I suppose "We Need to Talk about Kevin" is considered a literary novel, but really it is horror, and it's critics should just accept that. It was a book I could not put down, but would never want to read again. It's genius but so vile.

Last edited:

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
Reading about climate change terrifies me. (Admittedly, I suspect that's in part because I don't know enough about the science to tell when the author's full of it.)

Ironically, I read old books on nuclear warfare from the 50's through 80's for reassurance. If we made it through that without blowing ourselves up, surely we can make it through this...

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
My mother had Alzheimer's and watching that is worse than any horror film. But people created monsters to explore real horror in a different form. The monsters stand in for humans or for acts of God or whatever.

I suppose "We Need to Talk about Kevin" is considered a literary novel, but really it is horror, and it's critics should just accept that. It was a book I could not put down, but would never want to read again. It's genius but so vile.

I agree about We Need to Talk About Kevin, except that I have reread it. I love the narrator, unreliable and elevated as she is. I love the slow, horrified realizations that one comes to through the narrative.

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry

/snip

Helter Skelter is what I was coming here to add. It's a book I at time wish I had not read.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
As a child, I read books about the nuclear arms race that horrified me, and in retrospect were written for that purpose.

Later on, in college, I read a number of books about the horrific environmental problems that were only beginning to be understood.

Another book that really bothered me was about the history of the Federal Reserve Bank and how it really operates, all the nasty stuff it has done, etc.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I agree about We Need to Talk About Kevin, except that I have reread it. I love the narrator, unreliable and elevated as she is. I love the slow, horrified realizations that one comes to through the narrative.

Yes I have no problem with the narrator. The book is brilliant. Just as a mother it is too sickening to read. To see him rejecting everything ugggg it is unbearable, but talk about a book you cannot put down!
I consider it is literary horror and those who have written scathing negative reviews about how gross and repulsive it is are failing to see that.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer.
Yes I don't see how anyone could call "A Child Called It" uplifting. It isn't uplifting until really the last chapter of the third book in the series "A Man Named Dave" certainly the most traumatic book I have ever read, and I gave the first two books away to a second hand bookstore because I didn't want my little boys stumbling on them, seeing a child on the cover and starting to read. I still have "A Man Named Dave"

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Hidden Horrors:Japanese war crimes in WW II.

They make the Nazis seem tame.

When I was stationed in S. Korea an optometrist near base told me how he and his brother were forced to train an kamikaze pilots. The Japanese Army was bad news for anyone "conquered".

Having been to the Auschwitz site and read several memoirs by survivors I doubt that's possible, though they certainly rivalled them in some areas. Both did absolutely fiendish medical experiments and so on and yes, I'm familiar with their use of 'comfort women', slave labour etc.

One book that was a bit disturbing was called 'Hitler's Willing Executioners' about how ordinary people were often content to turn in their own neighbours for relatively minor privileges, or turn a blind eye to things so long as they were fine.

Even scarier is the rise of neo-Nazism that I see among younger people who don't even have grandparents who'd remember The War. They think it's edgy and non-mainstream to challenge the holocaust, etc. and cranks on the internet enable all kinds of idiocy about race, economics and so on. All of human history seems to be of one group massacring another, then later glossing over it so either they or some other group can get away with doing it again. The Spanish Inquisition seems to be downplayed a lot more now than it did a decade ago or so, or since I was learning about it in school.
Convince enough people that 11 million people weren't sent to death camps and it'll be easier to herd the next lot into them were something like that to happen again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.