Jobation June 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
A draft

A completed draft. Oh, sure, that last scene is pretty telegraphic at moments, and the last 20K needs expanding and improving, and yesterday's re-polishing of the first ten pages reminded me that I have to re-polish 300 more, but I have a draft of a whole novel for the first time in over five years. And it's not a bad novel, if I am allowed to think that. Of course, I feel like I just went three rounds of boxing with it, and it was bigger and tougher than me. Time to recover. Let those depleted brain chemicals replenish.

Thanks for the thread and laughs and the support. Reporting here made a big difference for me. There's something about the subtle peer pressure of daily reporting of work done, isn't there?

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
637 before midnight. About 300 on my current WIP and another 300ish finishing up the short story I started yesterday.

Then called in to work the overnight shift 18 minutes before it was supposed to start. :gaah

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A draft

A completed draft. Oh, sure, that last scene is pretty telegraphic at moments, and the last 20K needs expanding and improving, and yesterday's re-polishing of the first ten pages reminded me that I have to re-polish 300 more, but I have a draft of a whole novel for the first time in over five years. And it's not a bad novel, if I am allowed to think that. Of course, I feel like I just went three rounds of boxing with it, and it was bigger and tougher than me. Time to recover. Let those depleted brain chemicals replenish.

Thanks for the thread and laughs and the support. Reporting here made a big difference for me. There's something about the subtle peer pressure of daily reporting of work done, isn't there?

Whoo-hoo! Congrats on finishing your draft. :Clap:

107 words for me so far today. My brain is on go-slow for some reason so I may just leave my WIP and go play, er, work on something else for a bit.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Grab those muses while you can, Zelenka. Scrivener is fab, isn't it. Really helps with plotting, and writing without any distractions. Once you've stopped playing with all the bells and whistles, that is.;))

Yeah, took a while to get used to everything but it makes plotting so much easier. And consolidating all the character notes, settings, research etc into one doc helps me so much as I'm usually all in a muddle.

Up to Chapter 9 now on the outline and still plodding away. It's not actual wordage but jings, it feels like progress!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
thanks all--for joy-jumping here and in rep pts/pms. Also, HJ pointed out to me I went over 1000 posts in the same 24-hour period. The planets must have been in the right whateverthingie for me.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
I've no idea where you're based, Marya, but the timestamp on your post reads 6:11 am on my PC. I was probably still drooling onto my pillow then, so major karma for getting 400 words out!

I am an early riser here in the Overberg mountains of South Africa -- usually up by 4.30am onesecondglance, so I get a fair amount of writing done by the time the sun comes up. But I am a slow waker so although the pen moves on across the page, the mind may not be following --

Scrapped most of yesterday's writing, but did 700 words this morning and after lunch I shall get another 500 done, with luck.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Congratulations Lorna on the completed draft! Yes, I agree, the subtle pressure is a great help -- now what are you doing next?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Marya, OSG, congrats on the words!

Thanks, Marya. As for me? I'm trying not to think of the novel, Marya. I'd like to keep myself mentally distracted to get better distance as fast as possible. In writing, I think I'll drag out my "unpublished poems" file and "in process poems" file (which has four new poems in it thanks to the poetry prompts here) and see what's what. I've never submitted poetry electronically but I may do that to assuage my "I want to submit" urges.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Congrats, Lorna, on completing the draft. That's a wonderful feeling.

1345 new words for me today. I'm now just 844 words shy of reaching 40k in my WIP, which was my June goal.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Mr. Mitchell and Bflogal. 40K is an important point, I think--for me, if I get that far, it's going to get finished.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Lorna!

About 1000 for me today. :)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, everyone. Well done. :hooray:

Hey, at last I can get in here and say something positive. I have just done the very last edit+polish of my novel and it's finally, finally good to go. :snoopy::snoopy:

It's been an epic journey. It took 2½ years to write the 196K words which I thought was required (as stated in an outdated Writer's Market) and just over 1 year to cut it down to an acceptable 98K. Wow, have I learned a lot! As DocBrown once said, "Gee, Gail, you've got to cut a book out of a book." :roll: No kidding! I could have written three novels in this time.

But the really important thing is that I could never have done this without the incredible help and support that I've received from all of you.

You people are awesome!!! Thank you so much!!!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Congrats, GailD. After having once chopped 3000 words out of a 7000 word short story, I know that's quite an accomplishment. I can't even imagine chopping a novel out of a novel!

1107 words for me today, bringing my WIP to 40,263 and meeting my June goal with a couple days to spare. Yay!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I have just done the very last edit+polish of my novel and it's finally, finally good to go. :snoopy::snoopy:

It's been an epic journey.

Hooray Gail!!!! :hooray: I can't wait to see it in print.

I'm having a slow start myself. I think my brain is still driving cross-country today. I wrote a couple hundred and stalled. Hopefully it will pick up again.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Gail, Kaitie, Bflo, everyone great work. And WA, a couple hundred words is good. Whenever we have 3000 word days, you know what? They always start with a couple hundred words.

:granny:

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Looks like everyone is doing great.

Congrats, Gail! :hooray:

Alas, no wordage for me since the other day. Still waiting to get my laptop back, which will be this Saturday! :D The WIP is at about 55K, but still have a long way to go.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
787 today... creeping ever closer to the target. Exactly how close I don't know, thanks to the wonder of working on multiple different computers, but I think I'm about six or seven hundred off target. Doable.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Oh I thank you for the grandmother, lorna. Between daydreaming at work, brainstorming on Facebook, and writing a critique, I broke through that stall. Ended up with another 200 words, but I'll count the hundred or so of the crit to put me over 500.

Just had to finagle my way to the goal.