The Shiny New Album Thread

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can honestly say I dislike most of today's music. (Most of my music collection is oldies)

However, I did buy Crazy Love by Michael Buble. I love him.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Listening to Generation Indigo by Poly Styrene. She was the lead singer with X-Ray Specs in the late 70s. Generation Indigo was released earlier this year. Sadly, she died a few weeks ago from cancer. More information from her web site:

http://www.poly-styrene.com/index.html

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Morning Jacket's Circuital. The actual release date is a couple days off (May 31), but my deluxe vinyl box set arrived in the mail today with all kinds of goodies. Between that and a partial request, today has been better than Christmas.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What? Has no one bought a shiny new album since May?

If you're looking for something spanking new and as delicate and beautiful as a spiderweb glimmering in the morning dew, I suggest the EP Oupa Forget.

This is the work of Yuck frontman Daniel Blumberg. If you missed it, Yuck's self-titled (neo grunge rock) album is also excellent, though very different from Oupa.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another Portugal. The Man album, The Satanic Satanist, deluxe edition. This one has the original album, then all the tracks done as acoustic arrangements. The whole thing is amazing. You need this. Go buy it NOW.

Here's a sample.

I've just taught myself to play this on guitar. Shame I can't sing.

It seems like I'm the only person on AW who buys new music. :(

Domino Derval

FREAKING OUT!
Registered
Reaction score
That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotligh
Website
denisedanes.wordpress.com
Here! Me! I like new music!

My most recent pickups are the new Blink-182 (didn't blow me away, but I haven't listened to it enough yet to form a full opinion) and the new Cobra Starship (enjoying it a whole lot, even if I do miss their old sound a bit). I just ordered Gareth Emery's DJ album from last year (trance DJ), and I'm loving the heck out of The Plastiscines' 2009 album, About Love.

That's not to say I'm not a fan of the classics. I was rocking out to some Ace of Base yesterday. That counts, right?

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Confused Little Girl - Southern Gentleman
Modern southern rock with a sludgy groovy feel. Just released on Rotten Records a few days ago.

My Chemical Romance- Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
Came out in 2010 and they are working on a new album, but I've liked what these guys have done since the beginning. Sure, the scene kids sort of get these guys sneered at (sorry scene kids, nothing against you at all, I was your age once too) but they make great rock and roll. There is some killer songwriting and guitar playing that goes on and Ray Toro channels Brian May a LOT and it is grand. (I maybe a wee bit defense about liking these guys ya think? lol )

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fang Island!

Fang Island has their album for free on Bandcamp until midnight tonight. I have had this album for a few months and love it. If you like prog rock, especially intensely upbeat, guitar virtuoso prog rock, you will love this.

Listen to this album on a Monday morning and you will kick ass all week.

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I just picked up The Sword "Gods of the Earth"

Excellent, excellent album if you're a fan of Sabbath style riffing and rocking.

Its not their newest, "Warp Riders" which one person described as too much like ZZ Top in space (which isn't a bad thing) but its a great heavy rocking album with great riffing and great vocals.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, I rarely buy new albums. I'm pretty much stuck in the 90's. However, I recently picked up Puscifer's 'Conditions Of My Parole' (2011) - I'm sort of biased because Maynard James Keenan is one of my all-time favourite singers, and I'm a huge fan of Tool/A Perfect Circle. Anyway, the album is superb, most notably 'The Humbling River', 'Tiny Monsters', 'Tumbleweed' and 'Green Valley'.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Just bought Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow. If you've ever fancied hearing Stephen Fry reciting silly made-up words, this is the ticket.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Never ventured into this part of the forum before, but I just bought Puppet by The Dreaming--Christopher Hall's new band (formerly of Stabbing Westward.) This is actually their second album, and I looooove it. I met him at a show once in 2008, for the first album with this band, and he's really nice.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Obsessing over PJ Harvey's Let England Shake.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, I rarely buy new albums. I'm pretty much stuck in the 90's. However, I recently picked up Puscifer's 'Conditions Of My Parole' (2011) - I'm sort of biased because Maynard James Keenan is one of my all-time favourite singers, and I'm a huge fan of Tool/A Perfect Circle. Anyway, the album is superb, most notably 'The Humbling River', 'Tiny Monsters', 'Tumbleweed' and 'Green Valley'.
If you like the Nineties, I recommend Yuck.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Loving a random new find, a group called The Silent Comedy. Heard a song a little while ago on a game trailer, gradually been getting more and more into them. Otherwise I tend to be a bit old-er school, not much in the charts tends to grab my attention much and I don't get out enough to find new bands that aren't charting.

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up Ani DiFranco's new album, ¿Which Side Are You On? Definitely a little more subdued than some of her previous albums, but still oh-so-Ani. Which is a synonym for awesome.

Also the Punch Brother's, Who's Feeling Young Now? There is nothing quite like the sound of Chris Thile playing the mandolin... :drool

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just bought Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow. If you've ever fancied hearing Stephen Fry reciting silly made-up words, this is the ticket.
Well, I'm a big fan of the Cocteau Twins, so I'll have to give it a spin.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to give it a go. I have Dry, but never really got into it.