How did the editor miss this? Finding content errors in well-known books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Yes they do exist. I love the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson, but couldn't understand why these kids that were genetically altered, grew up in hostile environments, never had weapons? I think these happen because things just do. I have read many books with errors in them. As a reader, I skip it and read on if it's a good story.

Deleted member 42

Yes.

I'd add that I don't blame using spell check so much as no longer proofing in hard copy. I also note, as someone who worked on Microlytics dictionaries, that there are mistakes in the corpora. Some are genuine mistakes, some are the fingerprints of smart-ass programmers.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding spell check, I found my nephew had been adding his misspelled words to the spell checker's dictionary. He thought his variations were acceptable. Yet another reason no one touches my laptop but me.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com

In response to RevisionIsTheKey, when I read The Lovely Bones, my thought throughout the book was "An elbow?" Of course, I'm clueless on the bones in the body, but somehow if she had said leg bone, arm bone, toe...I would have not stopped short each time she said "elbow." But I guess it was only a few of us since it had to go through editing, etc.

There is not one book, though, that I can honestly say everything checked out--grammar, spelling, content. Best seller or not, they all contain some mistake or two. Unfortunately, it does make the reader stop short.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The words used in the DooM novels totally make me chortle. He's not that bright, he's a space marine, yet he knows words like ersatz, mulligatawny and enervated. Fun fact, he didn't know the word eldrich.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
A few years ago my son found an error in a non-fiction picture book (by a very popular, well-regarded author in that genre). It said that Benjamin Franklin's famous letters written secretly to his brother's newspaper were signed "Silence Dogwood." It should have been "Silence Dogood." The mistake occurred both times the name was mentioned. I suspect spell-check may have contributed to the error.

Sad to say, a teacher I know (the author's books are classroom favorites) thought "Dogwood" was correct. I'm sure elementary school kids learning about Franklin for the first time would have thought the same.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yes.

I'd add that I don't blame using spell check so much as no longer proofing in hard copy. I also note, as someone who worked on Microlytics dictionaries, that there are mistakes in the corpora. Some are genuine mistakes, some are the fingerprints of smart-ass programmers.

This makes sense. I'm often surprised by the words my word processor's dictionary doesn't know. I used to second-guess myself; now I just break out my big fat red dictionary and prove the machine wrong and gleefully tell it that I'm smarter than it.

But if it's just a programmer messing with my precious words--argh!

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
(Spoilers for The Lovely Bones, obviously.)

Also an "elbow" could mean to bones connected bu cartilege and sinew at the elbow with the long bones broken off. It seems fine to me.

I read a discussion on the book, and not the book. I would have let the elbow thing go, if the body was chopped into pieces and this piece remained intact enough for the dog to take home. What got me was the logic error--supposedly the dog never had access to any part of the body as it was shut into a safe which was dropped down a well or other very deep hole in the ground miles from where the dog ever was. Unless someone can explain such a glaring error I have no patience with the book or the author.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Long ago I read an article by Larry Niven, he mentioned that a first printing of "Ringworld" might be valuable because me mistakenly describes the Earth turning the wrong way (ISTR this was about "the game" in which SF readers look for scientific errors in published SF stories).

Heh, heh, back in the day Ray Bradbury smacked a kid for this and never got busted for assault!

Here's a little quote from his section of the book Mars and the Mind of Man. "You see, nine-year-old boys are always finding me out. A few years back, one dreadful boy ran up to me and said: 'Mr. Bradbury?' 'Yes?' I said. 'That book of yours, The Martian Chronicles?' he said. 'Yes,' I said. 'On page 92, where you have the moons of Mars rising in the East?' 'Yeah,' I said. 'Nah,' he said. So I hit him. I'll be damned if I'll be bullied by bright children. Needless to say, I've never revised The Martian Chronicles based on new information given me by young boys."

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I just read the discussion of Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones and someone brought up the dog bringing back the dead girl's elbow. The poster wondered how a dog could bring back an elbow because it's really just a location, a space where two bones meet. It made me think of something I noticed in Jodi Picault's Nineteen Minutes. At one point, someone goes to the neighbor's house to borrow gasoline. The neighbor is a retired fireman. Where does he keep his gasoline? In the basement, of course. Doesn't that go against Fire Safety 101?

Mistakes happen. Writers, editors etc. are just people, and although they should pick up all the errors, they do miss them sometimes.

Just look at the mistake in your post...;)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Now wait a second, maybe the author's manuscript was correct and the editor changed it? You have no idea what the manuscript looked like before it got to the editor.

I also think it's presumptuous to assume it's solely the writers fault, especially when it is the editor's job is to catch all the mistakes and correct them. Maybe the writer did make a mistake but so did the editor. They don't get a "it's the authors fault" cop out when they are paid to make sure those mistakes aren't there.

There seems to be a very consistent misunderstanding here about what an editor does. They don't go in, fix your manuscript for you, then send it back and say "here, all better." No. They mark it up and make corrections, and then send those corrections back to the author to IMPLEMENT.

To make it even simpler: The editor is like a house inspector, who tells you what needs to be fixed to make it more marketable. The author is the homeowner who is tasked to take the inspector's remarks and fix the damned house.

If an author is too lazy or self-absorbed to take an editor's suggestions to heart and change things, then yes, it is their fault. Not their editor's.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Now wait a second, maybe the author's manuscript was correct and the editor changed it? You have no idea what the manuscript looked like before it got to the editor.

I also think it's presumptuous to assume it's solely the writers fault, especially when it is the editor's job is to catch all the mistakes and correct them. Maybe the writer did make a mistake but so did the editor. They don't get a "it's the authors fault" cop out when they are paid to make sure those mistakes aren't there.

One thing I do know is that sometimes people believe a word is spelled wrong when it is not. On more than one occasion someone has pointed out a word to me that they think is misspelled and it is actually the variant (British or American) spelling of the word.

It doesn't work that way. The editor edits, then teh writers gets to go trhough the edited manuscript. When everything is done and the galley proofs are put together, teh writer then gets to go over those.

The writer always gets the last look at a manuscript, always gets to do the final proofread, so if the editor changes something the writer had correct, the writer always has the oportunity to change it back again. So no matter how the mansucript looked before the editor got his hands on it, the writer still has a chance to correct everything in the book.

Nor is it the editor's job to catch all mistakes and correct them. He does what he can, which is usually a lot, but catching and correcting mistakes is primarily the writer's job.

"It's the writer's fault" is not a cop out. It's the writer's book, the writer's name goes on the cover, the writer is, after all, the writer, and the writer always gets the last chance to look at the manuscript and correct any mistakes.

It is the editor's job to help make the book better, and he usually does, but he's not the writer, and he's probably working on fifty-eleven other manuscripts at the same time he's dealing with yours, which means he has every right to expect you to find and correct any errors he misses in your manuscript.

If you want a perfect book to emerge from the press, you must take that last proofread as your chance to make certain your manuscript has no errors.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There seems to be a very consistent misunderstanding here about what an editor does. They don't go in, fix your manuscript for you, then send it back and say "here, all better." No. They mark it up and make corrections, and then send those corrections back to the author to IMPLEMENT.

To make it even simpler: The editor is like a house inspector, who tells you what needs to be fixed to make it more marketable. The author is the homeowner who is tasked to take the inspector's remarks and fix the damned house.

If an author is too lazy or self-absorbed to take an editor's suggestions to heart and change things, then yes, it is their fault. Not their editor's.

I think you're onto something here. I don't know if anyone in AW falls into this category, but some people don't know that editors make marks on the manuscript showing the changes that they recommend. They don't indicate errors by actually fixing them in the document. It's my understanding that even with a file instead of hard copy, the editor doesn't type over the parts that are wrong to make them right. They have a system of showing the author the mistakes, not changing them.

Still, the editor is responsible for a job well done. She is responsible for her own mistakes (especially if her suggestions are wrong). But she's not responsible for the author's decisions about which changes to implement. As for the silly mistakes that several people miss, she bears part of the responsibility, because she, too, missed them.

Deleted member 42

With very rare exceptions—like, the wrong postcript file got sent to the printer, it by golly is the writer's responsibility.

The editor suggests; the writer implements.

There's a reason that the writer's name is on the cover.

Manectric

Registered
Reaction score
In one of Zoey Dean's novels, she remarks that a character had a haircut "like Wilma from Scooby Doo." It's Velma, not Wilma. Wilma is a Flintstones character.

In another Zoey Dean book, someone is reading Willa Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. This is a huge error. The book that became a famous movie is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Just because a movie came from a book doesn't mean the book has the same title as the movie. Gosh.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Books seem to be held to a higher standard than any other fiction medium. The crap which regularly gets passed off as 'scientific' on television and film would be laughed out of the door in a novel, yet some people (a minority, but still a large enough percentage of the population of this planet to give me doubts as to intelligent life on Earth) actually believe some of the technological innovations in popular fiction have actually come about in real life.

And there might have been a tie-in edition of Willy Wonka with the film's name plastered on the cover...

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
Wherever there is dulce de leche ice cream
Mistakes happen. Writers, editors etc. are just people, and although they should pick up all the errors, they do miss them sometimes.

Just look at the mistake in your post...;)

You are right about the error. I wasn't sure if it was an a or an o and I was too lazy to check it out, so I used it both ways in different posts. (This is a trick I learned from teaching middle school. Those kids go with the law of averages.) I already spend way too much time on this site. If I checked every little thing, I'd get nothing at all accomplished.

Had I been writing about the author for publication, I would certainly have checked. At least I know that the l and t are silent when saying the name. That should be worth something!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. Thank you.

No one person is solely responsible for errors that appear in print. Publishing a book is a collaboration among many parties. The editor has an important role in that collaboration, but is by no means The Great Power.

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score

You know, when you write ....

They mark it up and make corrections

....to "prove" that editors don't make corrections to a manuscript, you're arguing against yourself.

It does not matter who has to actually change the manuscript.

The editor's job is to edit. By the very definition of the word, their job is to find errors. Their responsibility isn't shifted just because they told someone else to fix the errors they found.

When errors still make it into the manuscript that means they made a mistake. It's really that simple.

Now, I didn't say it was solely the editors fault. I said it was not solely the authors fault and that editors share part of the blame.

Besides, with the small fortune it takes to publish, market and distribute a book, I rather doubt editors are letting authors have the final decision on whether a book rife with errors goes into the market.

Last edited:

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
This is more of a printing error, but last night my mom was reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and she discovered that pages 400-476 were replaced with pages from the 100s. I wanted her to keep it because it was kind of cool, but she exchanged it for a better copy :(

Last edited:

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
Wherever there is dulce de leche ice cream
In one of Zoey Dean's novels, she remarks that a character had a haircut "like Wilma from Scooby Doo." It's Velma, not Wilma. Wilma is a Flintstones character.

This a perfect example of the kind of thing I was referring to in the original post. The lack of research is definitely the author's failure, and I would guess editors don't have time to check on this kind of stuff, nor would they take the time if they had it. But with so many eyes seeing the MS before publication, it would be nice if someone would catch it.

Deleted member 42

This is more of a printing error, but last night my mom was reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and she discovered that pages 400-476 were replaced with pages from the 100s. I wanted her to keep it because it was kind of cool, but she exchanged it for a better copy :(

That's a signature error, and they do happen.

Deleted member 42

You know, when you write ....
The editor's job is to edit. By the very definition of the word, their job is to find errors. Their responsibility isn't shifted just because they told someone else to fix the errors they found.

This is absolutely not an editors job--and you've just managed to piss off a lot of editors all at once.

It's not even a proofer's job to "catch errors."

The proofer sees it "in proof," AFTER the author.

And YES, authors have the last word. The final option is to return the ms. and tell the author to keep the advance.

There's a reason STET exists--and that with a BNA you will sometimes find the author STETs everything--and so the book goes out like that.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
This is absolutely not an editor's job--and you've just managed to piss off a lot of editors all at once.
Yes.

Let's step out of the bubble of one editor and one book and into the reality of one editor and a deluge of books - of varying quality - on tight and competing deadlines. Maybe in the fairy tale of Once upon a time, someone sat around and confirmed every single fact in a manuscript and the diligent author thoroughly reviewed every single markup and maybe even found other errors to fix. That is not the real world.

Editors don't tell authors to fix corrections. Editors make change or correction suggestions. They do not hold all the power you seem to think they do, jfreedan.

Last edited:

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
What kills me are all out typos, spacing errors, etc. I know if I catch them on the first read, they should SCREAM to the copy editor.

Plot errors, I can forgive.

Status
Not open for further replies.