• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ByLine Magazine

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have the scoop on ByLine Magazine? (www.bylinemag.com). A number of months ago, they ceased publication due to "personal problems." Okay, but here's the thing: they presumably are still running their contests, but they haven't announced any winners.

I entered an April contest, and the winners normally would have been announced in the magazine three months later, in the July issue. But there was no July issue, and thus no announcement. This is the case for the May, June, and July contests as well.

On their website, they have the August-December contests still listed (as though they are still running), with the notation that winners will be announced on the website in three months. Well, no August winners have been announced, either.

I have written to the editor now three times about this, and have never received a response. It seems wrong to me that they are continuing to run these contests -- and are collecting money -- but never announce the winners.

Meanwhile, I subscribed in April and only received two issues. The subscription price is $24.00, not inexpensive. What happens in this kind of situation? Is the magazine supposed to issue refunds?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone might have.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried calling? There's a phone number on Robbi's personal page, too. You could also try the other contacts listed at ByLine, and Palettes & Quills for that matter, to see if they can get a message to her, or at least get the winner info for you.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually did try to write Donna Marbach at Palettes and Quills, but she didn't respond.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I left a message on Robbi's voice mail today.

I'll let everyone know if I receive a response.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I met Robbi a few years ago at a Pennwriters conference, and I liked her very much personally. We had a good time together at the conference.

I wrote an article for Byline shortly thereafter.

Getting paid was like pulling teeth, but I did finally get my check. I think there were personal problems back then, too.

Robbi, if you're out there, I'm sorry for whatever's going on, but please make good to your customers/contest entrants!

And no, I don't think it seems kosher if they're still accepting contest entries but have ceased publication, and haven't announced the latest winners. I'd say DON'T enter the new contests unless you see a change.

Just MHO, as always.

Susan G.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Getting Frustrated

There still has been no reply from ByLine Mag, either to my emails or my phone call.

P.S. I also entered their chapbook contest, which has been taken over by Donna Marbach's company (Donna Marbach was ByLine's poetry editor). Winners are supposed to be announced this month. I just wrote an email to Donna expressing my concern that there will be no winners announced for the chapbook contest, either.

Last edited:

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
The winners of the chapbook contest were announced today on the
Palettes and Quills website.

Last edited:

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Just rec'd a nice and helpful email from Donna Marbach. Although she doesn't really know what's going on at ByLine, she was able to give me Robbi Hess's personal email.

So...I guess I'll try that email. I'll let everyone know.

Cyndy

Registered
Reaction score
Byline

I've had the same problem. I won a character sketch, waited for the check, and after emailing the editor, have not received a reply. I've entered numerous contests and have subscribed to Byline for years. Let me know what is working for you. I'm about ready to report them to the BBB (thanks for the great idea!).

C

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Cyndy, I'm sorry you didn't receive your prize money.

At least they don't owe me money (unless you count the subscription and the money I paid to enter a contest which was apparently never judged).

I'm sorry to say that Robbi has not replied to my latest email, either.

Last edited:

Cyndy

Registered
Reaction score
The magazine was really great prior her assuming control or purchasing it. It kept me trying new genres and writing when I didn't want to sit my fanny in the chair (it's not like the thing isn't form-fitting by now, either!).

I guess I'll write it off at this point. I hope things work out for her, but it would be far more ethical to be up front about what's happening. Pay off the folks you owe money to and call it done, you know?

Do you have any suggestions for magazines with a similar format?

Cyndy

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I just read about a mag called "Writers' Journal." I'm about to check it out (www.writersjournal.com).

Maybe they are somewhat similar to ByLine.

Writer's Journal is more mainstream glossy mag than Byline, but in my opinion it doesn't have as much info as Writer's Digest and The Writer. They do offer ongoing writing contests and they publish the winners, so that takes up much of the magazine pages.

I won one of their story contests years ago, and had articles published in their mag, and they did pay but I had to send several invoices to get it.