Best Rock Drummer - Nominations Thread

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, in our diabolical plan to build the greatest fantasy band of all time, it is time to decide who is the best (greatest) rock drummer of all time.

As before, two nominations and the drummer will be included in the poll in about a week.

I nominate:

John Bonham
Dominic Howard
Tre Cool
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I toss in Tim Yeung? (And he's gorgeous to boot!)

Maryn, whose daughter dated him briefly

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I never understood why bonham is so revered. To me his playing is forgettable. I guess notoriety counts for something.

It can only be a contest between Neil Peart and Bill Bruford. Everyone else just sucks.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never understood why bonham is so revered. To me his playing is forgettable. I guess notoriety counts for something.

Um...have you ever heard When the Levee Breaks, Four Sticks, Achilles Last Stand...

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Heard all that. I just don't see anything impressive about any of it. Not that it's bad, but if you're looking for superlative performance...

I mean the last few bars of Subdivisions has way more going on than every Bonham song put together.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Lori Barbero - Babes In Toyland
Andy Sturmer - Jellyfish
Janet Weiss - Sleater Kinney

And Animal. Of course.

Tzalaran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
horneddevil.proboards.com
Dino Cazares - Fear Factory: the relentless vigor with which he drums is unmatched.
Dave McClain - MachineHead: my personal favorite drummer just because whatever he plays makes me want to move.
Danny Carey - Tool: this guy is amazing, and does much solo drum work that is great.

Bill Ward should be mentioned, cause even at 50+ years old that guy can still jam with the best of them...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Phil Collins; hands down, bar none.

But Seriously, folks (pun intended). He's been the drummer on every Genesis album but 2 or 3 and played drums for jazz (Brand X) and big band (The Phil Collins Big Band) groups, not to mention the innumerable guest appearances he's made on albums by other major artists. And of course, he's been the drummer on every one of his own solo albums.

Many folks don't realize Collins is a drummer first and a singer/songwriter second. He's not only one of the most amazing timekeepers ever to hit something with a pair of sticks, but his playing is always musical. The vast majority of drummers merely keep time and throw in a few fills here and there, but when Collins sits behind a kit, it becomes a truly remarkable musical instrument. His playing is fluid, seemingly effortless, and always faithful to the composition while enhancing it like no other drummer could.

For a little sample, check out this solo from Genesis' The Way I Walk tour. Note the difference in style between Collins and Thompson (who is no slouch on the kit either). Also note how the solo is not just a couple of guys banging away, but an actual musical composition. Like the person who posted the vid said, Awesome.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:)

I know you good folks know talent when you see it, but I'm always amazed at how many peeps I run into out here in meatspace who don't even know Collins plays drums.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:)

I know you good folks know talent when you see it, but I'm always amazed at how many peeps I run into out here in meatspace who don't even know Collins plays drums.

He's a great drummer. I second Phil Collins.

Also, I second, Neil Peart and Bill Ward.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
For a little sample, check out this solo from Genesis' The Way I Walk tour. Note the difference in style between Collins and Thompson (who is no slouch on the kit either). Also note how the solo is not just a couple of guys banging away, but an actual musical composition. Like the person who posted the vid said, Awesome.

That was cool. Those guys have simply ENORMOUS drum sets.

Reaction score
Yay Diana! :D :kiss:

(Anyone who likes Muse has automatic credibility in my book, so nyar)!

Reaction score
You won't, actually.

I have Phil Collins albums and I listen to him through choice.

There. I said it.

Let the stoning begin.