Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Whoot Snappy!

LOL Red! I got pooped on once before and someone told me that was good luck (first I'd ever heard of that!) But I guess after you've been shat upon, (hopefully) the day won't get any worse than that!

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
((Inky)) damn :( Okay folks, if we ever wanna get out of here we need to stand under bird filled trees and hope for the best!

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{DVI}}} What happened?

Muted yay, Snappy

Red, the bird pooping is good luck concept is just to make people feel better after they got shitted on.

I told you guys that last summer after years of living in NYC I finally got pooped on? It's lunch time and there are a couple of million people walking around Manhattan at the time and I'm crossing a major street (Park Ave in Midtown) and a bird poops on my head. What are the freakin' odds?

lotus7

Getting the hang of it all
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever got directly pooped on by a bird (though came close a few times), but I do remember that years ago, my dad got pooped on by birds twice in a matter of a couple of hours! And he's bald! Not sure it brought him much luck but he was not very happy that day lol

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
{{{DVI}}} What happened?

Muted yay, Snappy

Red, the bird pooping is good luck concept is just to make people feel better after they got shitted on.

I told you guys that last summer after years of living in NYC I finally got pooped on? It's lunch time and there are a couple of million people walking around Manhattan at the time and I'm crossing a major street (Park Ave in Midtown) and a bird poops on my head. What are the freakin' odds?

Maybe that's the source of the good luck concept--your odds of being the one pooped on are about equal to your odds of winning the lottery?

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink)))

Funny enough, I've lived in NYC forever and I've never been pooped on here. BUT...I've been pooped on 3x elsewhere - Tokyo, Chicago and London. What are the odds of that???

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
If I've ever been pooped on, I've blocked it out. And now I'm about to go for a walk, so watch what will happen....

It was just a typical "liked it a lot, but didn't love it" pass. Nothing special, just ya know, not as much fun as being pooped on.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Maybe that's the source of the good luck concept--your odds of being the one pooped on are about equal to your odds of winning the lottery?

Or getting struck by lightning.

My wife's uncle got struck by lightning, lived, and then got struck again a couple of years later and now has a brain damage & a severe limp.

It was like the cosmic version of Final Destination. I hate to see what happens to him the 3rd time.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Yuck. Ho-hum "like but didn't love" passes are the worst -- tied with glowing ones, snarky ones, forms, and no-responses.

A lot of "lucky" people in the Pit and related to us. "Luck" isn't always good luck.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
I got shat on years ago while walking to the subway with my mom. Right on the face. I've never seen my mom laugh so hard. I can bring it up to this day and she will still laugh. Is it like the equivalent of someone slipping on a banana peel? I didn't find it funny at all.

Ha ha soul, I know exactly what you're talking about. Makes you feel like a 3-yr-old.

I have a friend I see every day when we pick our kids up from school. Every day he asks me, "What's new?" without fail. Er, you mean from yesterday? Geez, my life just isn't that exciting, buddy.

{{ao}}

{{ink}}

Anyone ever work in a restaurant? Do you get to taste any food before the restaurant opens for business? Or is that made up in the movie, No Reservations?

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I got shat on years ago while walking to the subway with my mom. Right on the face. I've never seen my mom laugh so hard. I can bring it up to this day and she will still laugh. Is it like the equivalent of someone slipping on a banana peel? I didn't find it funny at all.

Anyone ever work in a restaurant? Do you get to taste any food before the restaurant opens for business? Or is that made up in the movie, No Reservations?

It was probably the look on your face that made her laugh, but being on the receiving end -- not funny.

Oh yeah, waiters always get to taste the food, in no small part so that when the customer says, "What do you recommend?" they'll actually know. One of my favorite places has all these obscure specials, but the waiters always know what it's like, because they've tasted it.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
LOL Snappy are those birds telling you to stay home?

It's sad when for many of us pitizens, our odds of getting shat upon (which aren't all that high for the average person I am thinking) are greater than our odds of getting published

Cat ick on small talk. Just ick. Why can't people keep it to a simple 'hello'?

A job where you get paid to eat some of the food?? *want* (yeah I know, being wait staff is hard work. I guess I'd like to just sample the food and leave instead of doing the actual job itself ;) )

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{AO}}} I hate those last minute changes...hope you find some time today to finish.

{{{Soul}}} There's nothing worse than being an adult and being treated like a child, especially from a higher-up.

YAY for sleep, Snappy!

{{{Ink}}} Those are the worst. Idk, though. With some of the weird comments I got on my last ms, I started hoping for boilerplate passes again.

Or getting struck by lightning.

My wife's uncle got struck by lightning, lived, and then got struck again a couple of years later and now has a brain damage & a severe limp.

It was like the cosmic version of Final Destination. I hate to see what happens to him the 3rd time.

:Wha: Wow.

Briefly I lived at the beach and, after finally getting into shape, went to the beach in my bikini, feeling like hot shit. (You know where this is going.) I settled into my chair, pulled out my book, and felt a huge water balloon, filled with hot water, explode against my leg. Only it wasn't a balloon. A seagull flying past unloaded on me. You know how they say that the universe gives you what you put out? So true in this case.

It's a beautiful day, my dog's giving me the stink-eye, and I'm off from work but still feeling funky. Lovely.

ETA: *waves to Leigh*

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
It was probably the look on your face that made her laugh, but being on the receiving end -- not funny.

Oh yeah, waiters always get to taste the food, in no small part so that when the customer says, "What do you recommend?" they'll actually know. One of my favorite places has all these obscure specials, but the waiters always know what it's like, because they've tasted it.

You know how they say, "Write what you know"? Yeah, well my WIP takes place in a restaurant -- of which I know NOTHING about...pretty smart on my part, right?

So does the Chef only whip up the Specials before opening, or do they just randemly cook a few things on the menu?

Hey Leigh -- dare I ask how things are?

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Hey, Leigh!

LOL, Cricket. Getting pooped on by a pigeon is one thing. But a seagull? That's a few generations away from Pterodactyl. You coulda needed 1st aid after that.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
You all are too funny. Today is my day to volunteer in the classroom. I log in at lunch to read about people being pooped on. Very appropriate.

Um . . . no fiction winners selected for the Pulitzer. Remember I mentioned the friend who noticed that the same book was being talked about everywhere? She's a very literary reader -- her favorite novels are the huge victorian novels where nothing happens for hundreds of pages, all in preparation for the final spectacular payoff.

The other thing she complained about is not being able to find books she wants to finish. So she goes back to the Victorian novels.

No award in fiction allows lots of people with a drawer full of rejections to say, "If they'd have published MY book. . ."

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
You know how they say, "Write what you know"? Yeah, well my WIP takes place in a restaurant -- of which I know NOTHING about...pretty smart on my part, right?

So does the Chef only whip up the Specials before opening, or do they just randemly cook a few things on the menu?

Hey Leigh -- dare I ask how things are?
Better, thanks :). Thinks started to mellow out in time for me to start freaking out about my b-day on Saturday. The big 2-7 and I have accomplished nothing. Woo.

On writing what you know, I write about vampires. I don't think I'm personally acquainted with any, but there you go.

So I plowed through hung3r G@mes (so I'm late to the party, don't judge :tongue) and one thing the books taught me is don't flinch. Don't be afraid of where the story takes you. Which is probably a good thing because I've had a teen erotica story rattling around my head since I was one.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
*waves to Leigh*

Cat, might depend on the restaurant. I can only speak for chains. Servers have to taste everything, but at chains the menu doesn't change much so you'd just need to taste the specials each night, if they have them.

Cricket, oy. Yuck.

Teri, us great unwashedpubbed don't need an excuse to break out that lament. ;)

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Yaay to working out Cricket *Remembers LA weather. Gets jealous. gives Cricket stink eye*
But MAN on getting shat upon by a freaking sea gull!! I can imagine how huge that plop was and I'm surprised it didn't break your leg!

*waves to Leigh* exactly
(jaded moment) I mean the odds seem to get worse and worse I'll ever get published *is pessimist* so I say f#ck it! Write what you want so long as the process is enjoyable for you.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
You all are too funny. Today is my day to volunteer in the classroom. I log in at lunch to read about people being pooped on. Very appropriate.

Um . . . no fiction winners selected for the Pulitzer. Remember I mentioned the friend who noticed that the same book was being talked about everywhere? She's a very literary reader -- her favorite novels are the huge victorian novels where nothing happens for hundreds of pages, all in preparation for the final spectacular payoff.

The other thing she complained about is not being able to find books she wants to finish. So she goes back to the Victorian novels.

No award in fiction allows lots of people with a drawer full of rejections to say, "If they'd have published MY book. . ."
I have been told that I must not be very serious about writing and books for not liking 2937493 page Victorian novels where nothing happens. Kudos to her for enjoying them!

Status
Not open for further replies.