• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Characters In Multiple Publications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorcroftlegacy

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should post here or in publishing, feel free to move over there if necessary.
Okay, so I decided to restart my main WIP from scratch, and go in a completely different direction. But now I have 85,000 words I won't be using. The way the book was written, it was a number of short stories loosely connected. Since very little from the original work (outside of the characters) would be rewritten into the new draft. My thought was that I could rework the novel into about 20 short stories and then sell them to a magazine.
But the thing that worries me is, if I happen to sell these stories to a magazine, does that mean that no publisher would go near my novel once finished, due to character copyright laws or something of the like?

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
No I don't think so. If these are separate stories, but involving some of the same characters, I see no reason why a publisher would stay away from a later novel.

msza45

New Fish; Stuck on the Dang Hook
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of carrying characters through to different works. I'm sure there are tons of examples, but a good one is of Huck Finn originating in the first Tom Sawyer book, then getting his own book later.

If your short stories find readers, I'd think it'd help you with selling your novel.

Lorcroftlegacy

Registered
Reaction score
I am just wondering how you could be in violation of copyright over your own characters? Or perhaps I am missing something ...
I really don't know a whole lot about copyright, but my worry was more along the lines of, would the magazine have the rights to the characters or would I?

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
If you are able to sell your chapters as stories, it will only help you. Several authors sell stories that later appear as chapters in their books. And you are talking about not even using those stories in your novel. Either way there is no problem.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, they're your characters. Several authors reuse characters or fictional locations from earlier novels - just look at Stephen King's Castle Rock novels. Even in novels that aren't set there, he often references his own fictional characters or events that have happened in other novels.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I can think of many novels with characters that first appeared in short stories. And many novels started out as short stories or novellas that were added to or expanded later (Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight is one famous example).

And I know writers who have published short stories with the same characters in them in different magazines too. For example, I have one friend who has published a ton of short stories and one novel, and 90% of them (probably) are in the same fantasy world. Some of the characters appear in more than one publication too.

Most short fiction markets only hold onto the rights, even to that particular story, for a set time period anyway. Giving a publication indefinite rights to your short story is problematic, actually, as you may want to publish something you've written earlier in an anthology, another magazine, as part of a novel, or even in your own story collection someday.

Read your contracts carefully if you sell a story somewhere, but I don't think it's usually an issue.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You have every right to do this, and doing so will only help novel sales, so publishers are all for it. The novel can also make your name more recognizable, so magazine editors love it, as well.

The problem is simply selling them. Nothing is tougher than selling a short story to a good magazine, except maybe selling poetry to a good magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.