Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan-Jast

Portal Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.portalhunters.com
Two weeks ago I attended a comic book convention to promote my novel series, Portal Hunters. It seems like an odd place to try and sell books, granted, but someone once recommended that I try and think outside the box in regards to where to search for an audience. Since I am familiar with the comic book market and since science fiction is usual very popular with comic book fans, that seemed like a good place to start.

It was a very education experience. I wrote a blog on it discussing some do's and dont's for anyone who might want to exploring trying this themselves. Given the volume of comic book conventions around the country, for writers of sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and/or adventure, it might be worth your time to consider this strategy.

Here's the link to the blog: http://portalhunters.blogspot.com/

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
I've launched small press books through conventions for work, and it works quite well. My book is getting its major launch next year at a games con because the publisher has a pre-existing market.

The only thing I'd add to your post is choosing the convention carefully: one focused on fantasy comics may not be so good for thrillers. Even within the genre, the convention focus and customers can vary widely.

Ivan-Jast

Portal Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.portalhunters.com
This is true, though I've only seen two kinds of comic book conventions in my years of attending: general and science fictions. The later I've seen much fewer of and even they seem to cater heavily to the more general audience. Still, in either event, the key is to know the market you're going in to and also knowing that the average person isn't there for books, so you have to have a plan. Tell me more about this gaming con. I've been warned off of gaming cons by those who usually attend them, so I hadn't give that much thought.

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
It does really depend on the convention. I've been going for a few years (work and hobby) and watched a nationally known fantasy author sell very few books at an RPG convention, while a lesser known non-fiction author sold out at a wargames convention.

Only type I have found where books just don't sell are computer or PC game conventions, where even spin-offs or walkthrus can have low sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.