Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Freakishly warm here, considering it's the end of Jan!

Compared to LAST January, I'll take it!

HH, who escaped to California during the worst of last year's mile high drifts, but had the hubby calling me letting me know of -37 temps while I was at the beach. :p

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
My friend from Vancouver informed me it "snowed" after sending me a picture of some loose powder on his lawn.

I sent him a picture of my BMW trapped in a twelve-foot tall snow bank.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
It snowed in Victoria too. There wasn't quite panic in the streets but some calls for military intervention. This is, after all, a city of the newly wed or nearly dead. However, the citizenry held up, stiff upper lip and all that.

Then it rained.

The few centimetres of snow washed away.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I admit to giggling when Van gets 'hit' with snow.

It's so hard to take them seriously when they think the sky is falling from a bit of fluff after you just shoveled your car's weight in snow off the driveway.

Hurray for landlocked mid-west. :D

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
It's so hard to take them seriously when they think the sky is falling from a bit of fluff after you just shoveled your car's weight in snow off the driveway.

Hurray for landlocked mid-west. :D
No kidding! They go into hysterics over what we'd consider diddly squat.

If it's going to melt in 24 hrs or less, it's diddly squat, imo.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
You should see Texans. In January, we usually get about a week of winter, where it tends to sleet instead of snow.

The news stations all have reporters reporting from "out in the field," and they bat at the pavement with their microphones to show everyone that yes everyone, LOOK. It's SNOW.

They actually had a freak snowstorm in March last year, which is UNHEARD of. I can only imagine the frenzy of terror that engulfed Dallas.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
It's a snowly plus 4 here in Red Deer, AB, the snow is melting... I can see GRASS on my lawn. It's glorious, though I know it won't last. We are for sure doomed to have at least another week of -30 temps, a huge snowstorm, and at least a few more feet of snow.

But I can dream. I can pretend it's going to just magically be spring lol

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I love the CBC North weather forecast. "We're in for a cool day. Temperatures for Old Crow up to -48, -53 with the windchill." Cold starts at -50 without the windchill.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say that the Indigo near me SUCKS?!

I never realized how flipping hard it is to find literary mags around here...for pete sakes.

Is that the one on 137th Ave at 97th? Haven't been in there yet. The Chapters down south has a good selection of writing books, and it seems like I found the one in the West End had decent mags. Sorry, i know it's a little far....

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say that the Indigo near me SUCKS?!

I never realized how flipping hard it is to find literary mags around here...for pete sakes.

Go to Hub Cigars just south of Whyte. Good literary magazine selection there.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
My friend from Vancouver informed me it "snowed" after sending me a picture of some loose powder on his lawn.

I sent him a picture of my BMW trapped in a twelve-foot tall snow bank.

:D

Yeah, I used to live in Vancouver. People there had no clue how to drive in the centimeter of snow that dropped once or twice a year and disappeared in under 24 hours. Okay, in all fairness, it once snowed about 4cm... People parked their cars everywhere, including on bridges... Idjits. :D

ETA: I should add that I'm now in Sri Lanka, which is a tropical country with temperatures of 30-35C during the day, and perhaps down to 28C at night. That's every day of the year. I complain of the heat here. :D

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Is that the one on 137th Ave at 97th? Haven't been in there yet. The Chapters down south has a good selection of writing books, and it seems like I found the one in the West End had decent mags. Sorry, i know it's a little far....
Yeah, it's that Indigo. The problem, being in the north end, and not driving is def hampering me in this.
Go to Hub Cigars just south of Whyte. Good literary magazine selection there.
I'll have to see if my friend wants to hit Whyte sometime soon, thanks!

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
But I like that Indigo :( It's so big and well-stocked.

Mind you, a staffer there actually recommended Matched to me as good YA literature. Ugh. Needless to say that individual's opinion will not be given much credence to me from here on out!

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
But I like that Indigo :( It's so big and well-stocked.

Mind you, a staffer there actually recommended Matched to me as good YA literature. Ugh. Needless to say that individual's opinion will not be given much credence to me from here on out!
Apparently, they have no control over the mags. They rent the space out.

I dislike Indigo for the children's section. More toys than anything else, and the majority of the books are hardcover, and are $$$! Went to get my kids some books, and they wanted $20 for 'If You Give A Mouse A Cookie'! The kids books are 'gift books' primarily that they carry, not every day read 'em til they fall apart paperbacks.

I just about had heart failure.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, they have no control over the mags. They rent the space out.

I dislike Indigo for the children's section. More toys than anything else, and the majority of the books are hardcover, and are $$$! Went to get my kids some books, and they wanted $20 for 'If You Give A Mouse A Cookie'! The kids books are 'gift books' primarily that they carry, not every day read 'em til they fall apart paperbacks.

I just about had heart failure.

Have you tried Mandolin over in the Highlands? It's small, but they have a neat little kids section in the back. Plus, they're used, so a little cheaper. Plus, there's always Value Village. I LOVE that place. :D

LadyVonFright

Registered
Reaction score
hello fellow canucks :)
its just me...thought id check in seeing as there is a thread for us now :)

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
Have you tried Mandolin over in the Highlands? It's small, but they have a neat little kids section in the back. Plus, they're used, so a little cheaper. Plus, there's always Value Village. I LOVE that place. :D
No, haven't heard of them. I hit the Wee Book on Whyte, and there's a used book store in the same strip mall as my Dr, so I go there too.

Carrie Ann Maxwell

Less think, more do!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carrieannmaxwell.blogspot.com
Just a note on "the Canadian Accent"

i find that it's really more of a regional thing :)
there's the Maritimes accent, the Toronto-area Eastern accent, sort of Manitoba/Sask/AB sort of accent, and then there's the West, which doesn't really have one (not usually anyways)....

(not even including Quebec!)

it's best illustrated on regional/national news shows.

Anyone else find themselves playing "Spot the Canuck" in shows and movies?

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody has an accent--it's just that the Western North Americans all have a roughly homogenous accent. I can go down to places like Montana and they won't know I'm from Alberta, and even spent two days in Seattle without anyone suspecting I was from elsewhere.

Heck, Nathan Fillion (i.e. the guy who plays Castle, and Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly) who was raised in Edmonton, blends in with the California peeps (don't know their adjective) unless he says "pop" instead of "soda", which isn't an accent thing so much as it is a regional idiosyncrasy.

We (western Canadians) only get flak for saying "about" like "a boat" (not "a BOOT") when talking to the Eastern Americans. New Yorkers in particular seem sensitive to the "a boat" thing.

In other words, it's retarded to try and generalise anyone by their accent. A "Canadian" accent is about as descriptive as a "British" one--and if you ever travel in the UK, you know all it takes to hear a completely different accent is to drive 15 minutes to the next village!