The Girlie Thread

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
Storygirl, have a good evening and if u need to rant about Hubby being gone...U go right ahead, that is why this thread is here. We'll listen and we'll probably even cry with you. You may even make some of us realize how lucky we have it and we may become more appreciative of our Hubby's coming home everyday. So... go right ahead and give it the ole college try if'n u need too, k?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Hey SG--don't let the good times go to waste!

Collect things like napkins, matches, sugar or mint packets from the places you & the kids go to.
Date them and put on each:
Wishing You Were Here
present them in a box to him when he comes home--he'll know he was missed :}

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, girlies! Hugs to everyone.

I have to share about something I saw today. I'm kicking myself for not having handled it better... it's one of those things that proves to me I DO need to be more assertive...

My girls and I left home for an adventure out. We were travelling down a paved rural road, comparable to a two-lane highway. I noticed a vehicle out in front of us, oncoming, seemingly stopped, and there was a form near the passenger side. The form moved to the front of the van, and as we drew closer I saw it was a girl. She looked to be 8 or 10 and was running, jogging. I slowed and when I came parallel to the girl I asked, "Is everything okay?" She seemed nothing more than out of breath and said, "Yeah." I inched forward and asked the same thing of who I presumed to be her mother. She said, waving a hand as if to shrug the circumstance off, "She's exercising." My instant reaction was the mom's got it under control, I'll move along. So I laughed, as if it was a logical explanation, said "Oh, okay" and drove on. But the further down the road I got, the more illogical I realized the whole scenario was. Why would this mother, regardless of whether or not she's following closely behind, let her young daughter "exercise" on a potentially busy road? What if this was some sort of punishment - or worse yet, abuse - and I just shrugged my shoulders to it? I should have questioned the mother. "On the highway? Can't she just run in place at home? What if a speeding car tries to pass you?" Who cares if the mom would have been offended by my quiz? I should have insured the safety of this girl. But by the time this all worked itself out in my head, I was too far to turn around. And calling the police would have been too dramatic. Now I hate how I handled the whole thing.

What would you have done?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score

Collect things like napkins, matches, sugar or mint packets from the places you & the kids go to.
Wishing You Were Here

Awwwww cute idea. But then she risks the ole "you went WHERE with out me?!?!?!" Cause you know, guys alwaaaaaaaaaaays find a way to flip it on us!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
The same thing you did...realize later what I should have done.

I do that all the time. In all cases. What urks me most is when I think of some fabulous come back for something said or done to me, an hour later! I'm a little slow like that. :p

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hungry. That's my rant. And I ate. I had taco bell...2 tacos....and a bag of m&m's and I'm still hungry. I have a biiiiiiiiiiig appetite today. I have ground beef thawing.....what should I make for dinner? A nice lil pasta????? What could I maaaaaaaaaaaaaake...............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hungry. That's my rant. And I ate. I had taco bell...2 tacos....and a bag of m&m's and I'm still hungry. I have a biiiiiiiiiiig appetite today. I have ground beef thawing.....what should I make for dinner? A nice lil pasta????? What could I maaaaaaaaaaaaaake...............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Meatballs and rice? My girlfriends and I saute meatballs and make a beef gravy, then serve over white rice. Mm mm good!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Meatballs and rice? My girlfriends and I saute meatballs and make a beef gravy, then serve over white rice. Mm mm good!

I've never made meatballs....and sounds good.....got an easy recipe??? Don't have much ingredients other than beef, bread crumbs and seasoning....and potatos and rice.....am I missing anything? Oh and EVOO. Help!

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I've never made meatballs....and sounds good.....got an easy recipe??? Don't have much ingredients other than beef, bread crumbs and seasoning....and potatos and rice.....am I missing anything? Oh and EVOO. Help!

Just toss in whatever you have... an egg (to hold meat together), all-seasoning, black pepper, salt, whatever. I think I used a basic Mrs. Dash somethin'-or-other. Roll 'em up and coat with flour. I browned mine in canola oil (olive oil, I'm told, doesn't get hot enough), then pulled the meatballs from the skillet to do my gravy. I didn't have beef broth, so I used boullion, to taste. Once your gravy's thickened, toss your meatballs back in so it can all stew together for a bit. Viola! If you try it, let me know how it turns out. :D

ETA: Can I come to dinner tonight? :D

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I only have EVOO....are my meatballs gonna be a bust?

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I say try it! I usually don't shy away from olive oil, I just happened to be on the phone with a friend while I was making it last... she said not to use it. Something about how the OO couldn't handle the high heat it'd take for the meatballs. But sometimes she's full of it. Go for it!

ETA: Speaking of dinner preparations... it's time to feed my girls. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
if u need to rant about Hubby being gone...U go right ahead
Ah thanks Tink, you're a sweetheart. I try not to focus on the difficulties of his being gone, instead I try to remember how lucky I am to have a husband who I miss so much, who I love so deeply and laugh so freely with that of course his absence leaves some pain. I am lucky to have him, and I know it, even when he's half a world away, I am lucky to have him.
:)

Kay, 'nuff mushiness. Sorry. :D

Wishing You Were Here
That's a really cute idea. I never thought of the simple little things, like napkins and such. I'll have to do that.
Honestly, the same thing you did, including the kicking myself later.

And (this won't help) I remember once when my mom (God love her, but she has problems) had been, um mean, we'll say, and she had slowed down to take a turn and I saw fit to jump out of the moving vehicle (it was my best option) and run. She drives a little while. Catches up with me, stops, chases after me, reaches me and is yanking me back to the car by my hair, then she hears someone coming and lets go. The people stop and ask if everything is okay (I don't think they saw my mom dragging me by the hair) I didn't say anything (I had tears streaming down my face) and my mom just shrugs and sort of scoffs, "Teenagers." I'll never forget the look on their faces, especially the woman. She just stared at me, even as the man nodded and started to drive away. I think she knew something wasn't right. And considering what happened after that, I used to wonder why she hadn't helped me, resented that she just left me there. She knew something was wrong. I could see it in her eyes. She didn't want to leave me on the side of that road with my mom. But I didn't say, help me, or I need help, or anything at all. And looking back, I don't think there was a dang thing she or her (I assume) husband could have done. Really, you have no proof, your hands are pretty much tied.

I have a biiiiiiiiiiig appetite today.
You and me both. :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think he's family - after how many years? - as much as anyone else, and it was incredibly rude and inconsiderate for this to have happened. Including Howie in the invitation should have been as natural as rinsing her hair after shampooing in the shower. I don't want to rag since it's not my place, Susie, but I'm very sorry for the situation that's been handed to you, and I hope you're able to push through the stress and upset.

:Hug2:

Thanks so much guys for your wonderful support and for your understanding. It means the world to me! :Hug2:

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
funny-pictures-chicken-nuggets.jpg

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm making meatballs. And the recipe I printed called for cream of mushroom soup.....and I don't have any so I sub'd with cream of potato.....I'm waiting for the spaghetti noodles to cook so I can serve with the potato-meat-balls. I should be eating in 15 minutes...I'll report later with the results. :p

Yummm.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I couldn't wait so I took a bite of a meatball....................YUMMMMMMY!!! Different, but definitely YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!

Will serve over EVOO glazed and seasoned spaghetti noodles. Whatcha all think???

I'm editing...

Not to toot my own horn, but it is quite yummy. I have no gripes....no rants...no screaming...no bitching...just simply....deelish meatballs. :p

Last edited:

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
I have a rant.

I work at an ice cream place, and before I continue. I love my job. I love the people I work with and my boss. It's the customers that annoy me the most!
HANG UP YOUR FRICKEN PHONE!
Jeeeeez!

It bugs me SO much when the person is on the phone and doesn't hang up when they get to the window. I don't mind if your double checking on an order. I get that, we ask a lot of questions sometimes so chances are you don't know and you want to be a 100% sure, then yeah call. But most of the time that's not even it!

Like today. Person came up. On their cell the ENTIRE time. On a bluetooth no less. I wanted to rip the stupid thing out of her ear.

Okay rant over.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
I'm back girls. I'll be busy today at work catching up. I went for blood work yesterday and got no answer yet. After they get the results, I have to go see a GI. Meanwhile, I'm not eating much because I'm nervous that something I eat will set off those cramps again, and man, I don't want that!

My husband took off yesterday and catered to me, so all was forgiven...though there wasn't really anything to forgive.

Hope ya'll are doing well!

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
First of all...good luck and best wishes to you AcEnders, hope all turns out well.

This is not really a rant except maybe towards myself...I do not accept compliments very well, never have *shrugs* and this morning my hubby pays me one and I didn't respond very good. My hubby is not big on compliments at all and this morning, right out of the blue, he grabs me and gives a quick hug and kiss and says, "Have I told you how pretty you are lately?" I lean away from him and give him the look that ask- yeah right and what are you up too- I actually said, "No." and he adds, "Well you are." I just looked at him for a sec. or two before I responded by muttering thanks and then turned away from him to get his lunch that I had prepared for him for today.

What a dumba$$ I can be sometimes...maybe that is why he doesn't pay me very many compliments(????) Anyone understand this? Why do I immediately become suspicious? I don't understand me sometimes at all. I automatically thought -Ok, what do you want? Thats terrible, isn't it? Does anyone else ever do this?

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent my five year old to his room. He's been completely unreasonable today. First, he wouldn't come down stairs unless I carried him. He sat at the top of the stairs crying until I caved. He cried for twenty minutes because I didn't have his favorite flavor of oatmeal. Then he cried for another fifteen minutes because his favorite shark T-shirt was in the laundry. Another twenty minutes of crying because he didn't want to go to the bathroom by himself. Then he asked me to draw godzilla so he could color it in. Five versions later he is still crying because I'm not doing it right. I tried to distract him with play-do. He started crying becuse the blue play-do was hard.

I've taken his temp. He's not sick. He had a good long sleep last night. He just seems to have gotten out of bed on the wrong side this morning. I sent him to his room because he kicked the dog. He kicked the dog because he licked his hand.

I need a day off from motherhood. Or just an hour? Shit - just let me have 30 minutes. Or twenty? I'll even take ten minutes. PLEASE!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
He sat at the top of the stairs crying until I caved. He cried for twenty minutes because I didn't have his favorite flavor of oatmeal. Then he cried for another fifteen minutes because his favorite shark T-shirt was in the laundry. Another twenty minutes of crying because he didn't want to go to the bathroom by himself. Then he asked me to draw godzilla so he could color it in. Five versions later he is still crying because I'm not doing it right. I tried to distract him with play-do. He started crying becuse the blue play-do was hard.

1. Try not "caving" next time. They are kids, they cry, and it's ok for them to cry. Even if it takes 4 hours for them to stop crying, it's ok. ;) (I of course mean "crying" in the sense of "crying to get their way" and not when they actually have a need)

2. Sounds like you cater to his every whim. The hardest thing about parenting (to me at least) is being patient and letting them get their "fits" out without giving in. You, of couse, have to pick your battles, but somewhere you have to draw a line in the sand and say "enough is enough" and just suck it up, put on some ear muffs, and ride out the hardest part--the beginning. When he sees he doesn't get his way through crying, he'll stop doing it.

The reason I mention that is, is because crying is a very important communication tool with kids. It signifies when they have a need. BUT if you cater to EVERY cry, they are going to use it to manipulate you and then you will be jaded to the moments they are crying when they really DO have a need.

In short, it hurts the child MORE by giving in just to make him stop crying.

My $0.02 (field tested btw)