The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

midknighthaze

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samsuffrat.blogspot.com
Thank you so much Magali! People like you is what keeps this thread going.

Thanks DavidCrue =) I started like a few months ago on chapter one (10pgs), but I didn't continue again because school got in the way. I didn't "start" writing the ms seriously 'till May 30th lol.

Thank you, Lizardmaker. You can do it too.

To those avid lurkers like me, join the damn book challenge! You have nothing to lose. Only thing I regret was not starting sooner and keeping at it =) Everyone else on this thread, good luck! HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

Last edited:

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Mistri, congratulations on finishing the first draft and good luck with your editing!

Magali, you are wonderful, WELL DONE!

David, good work on catching up! It always feel more daunting to sit down after a day or two of getting behind, such a good feeling when you break back into it though.

Midnighthaze...CONGRATULATIONS! That's awesome. Big snaps for all your hard work, it's nice to see someone getting there on this thread!

Lizardmaker, I hope your 500 is well under way - sending some scribbler energy your way!

I've only managed 400 today so I'm still a bit behind, but I'm hoping to get up to 1k before I go to bed tonight. :)

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
midknighthaze, that's fantastic! You're an inspiration to us all.

I've got about 500 words to go on chapter 27. Can I get it done on America's birthday? You bet! (Telling everyone on this thread that I'll do it will definitely help.)

Yes, sir, you can get those 500 words done! Here's an :e2coffee: to get you going!! And a :e2cookie: for your efforts, champ!! A :Trophy: for what you've done so far, and there's another one coming for your 500 words, so keep on going!! Champions never quit!

Congrats, midknighthaze!

Yep! Word! :Guitar:

Thank you so much Magali! People like you is what keeps this thread going.

Thanks DavidCrue =) I started like a few months ago on chapter one (10pgs), but I didn't continue again because school got in the way. I didn't "start" writing the ms seriously 'till May 30th lol.

Thank you, Lizardmaker. You can do it too.

To those avid lurkers like me, join the damn book challenge! You have nothing to lose. Only thing I regret was not starting sooner and keeping at it =) Everyone else on this thread, good luck! HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

Another :Trophy: to you!! You totally rock!! :hooray::e2headban

Thanks David!

Yep!! And Go, David!! :Thumbs:

Mistri, congratulations on finishing the first draft and good luck with your editing!

Magali, you are wonderful, WELL DONE!

David, good work on catching up! It always feel more daunting to sit down after a day or two of getting behind, such a good feeling when you break back into it though.

Midnighthaze...CONGRATULATIONS! That's awesome. Big snaps for all your hard work, it's nice to see someone getting there on this thread!

Lizardmaker, I hope your 500 is well under way - sending some scribbler energy your way!

I've only managed 400 today so I'm still a bit behind, but I'm hoping to get up to 1k before I go to bed tonight. :)

:Trophy: for your 400 words and I know you'll get those other 600 words done because you're full of firepower! Oh, yes you are! Total champion!!

Reaction score
Okay, as of 9:15 PM EST, I confess I have written not one word, but I've promised myself to finish the damn book before midnight tonight and after taking a few minutes to check my facebook I am going to get right on it. Wish me luck because next time I reply to this wonderful thread I want to celebrate!! And once again congrats to all our fellow champions!

Reaction score
I managed to write ten more pages before midnight on July 5, 2011!! Yay!! Since I started at 9:30 EST, July 4, 2011 and finished at midnight, EST on July 5, 2011, I could've finished all the 20 pages I had left to finish the book, but I couldn't because I got distracted with the TV (Twilight Zone) and there was one other little thing I had to do, but July 5, 2011 is the day that I finish this!! And then I am going to celebrate another finished book, which is something I haven't been able to do in over 6 months. So off now to update the word counter and watch another episode of 'The Twilight Zone' on Syfy. The marathon ends at 4:00 AM today but there's no way I'm going to stay up that long. The latest I can stay up is 2:00 AM, and tonight I'm not even going to do that. The Twilight Zone gives me insight to the things that are inconceivable in real life, supernatural beings that could never exist, etc, because 80% of the things I write about consist on that!! :ROFL: So, goodnight, champions!!

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Good luck, Magali. I hope you got at least a little sleep.

I got a bit distracted by Twilight Zone, too! But I did finish chapter 27 yesterday. Doing outline and first few hundred words of ch 28 today. Oh, I can taste the tang of completion on the wind...

DavidCrue

Secret of life: more basil
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Magali! What we're going to do without you on this thread, I have no idea.

Good job Lizardmaker, on hitting ch28! I envy you. I'm still working on ch4.

The good news is, ch4 is nearly done. The great news is, I wrote 2984 words yesterday. There is no bad news. Cheers, everyone!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to midknighthaze and Mag and David!

Yesterday I had 2 scenes to write--one that just needed to be there and another I'd been looking forward to writing since the day I first outlined this novel last year. Ended up pounding out 3k. It was a good day :D

Reaction score
Magali, YOU'RE SO CLOSE! An exciting day for you! Good luck =D

Yes, I was incredibly close last night!! But even though I started writing on page 1,691 around 10:00, I finished the damn book! Finished like 15 mins ago! Yay, finally the first book in the series is done! I mean the story's told, so I'm excited!! Today was my Day! I am going to do that WIP Progress thing again that I had going on last year. I would write down the number of words I did per day and the date that I would finish the novels. I don't know where that document went in my last out-of-box system recovery.

Good luck, Magali. I hope you got at least a little sleep.

I got a bit distracted by Twilight Zone, too! But I did finish chapter 27 yesterday. Doing outline and first few hundred words of ch 28 today. Oh, I can taste the tang of completion on the wind...

Yes, I had decent sleep as a matter of fact. Can't complain. Went to sleep 10 mins before 2:00 and woke up at 10:30 AM. The last episode of TTZ I saw was the one where an old, disabled woman was receiving phone calls from her dead boyfriend, straight from his grave, but then I got caught up in an episode of True Life at 1:00 AM. Oh, well...

:Trophy: for finishing ch. 27 and :Trophy: for the start of ch. 28!! Woot, woot!! :e2headban:

Congrats to Magali! What we're going to do without you on this thread, I have no idea.

Good job Lizardmaker, on hitting ch28! I envy you. I'm still working on ch4.

The good news is, ch4 is nearly done. The great news is, I wrote 2984 words yesterday. There is no bad news. Cheers, everyone!

Thank you! Hopefully you won't have to do without me in this thread, because even if I take a forced hiatus from writing again (like I did from February to June 2011, writing very little in those months) I am going to be here supporting my champions!! :Trophy::Trophy: for your 2984 words!!

That's a really impressive output! I don't think I've ever written that much in one day.

He's a champion just like you!! :e2cookie: and :Trophy: for you!!

Congrats to midknighthaze and Mag and David!

Yesterday I had 2 scenes to write--one that just needed to be there and another I'd been looking forward to writing since the day I first outlined this novel last year. Ended up pounding out 3k. It was a good day :D

:Trophy::Trophy::Trophy: one for each 1k words. :Thumbs:

Darnit. Project on hold. I got to edit a movie project in the next two weeks! Gah!:Hammer:

Good luck to everybody and congrats on everybody's progress!

Well, when you get back on that project it'll be 1,000 times as awesome as it used to be, so prepare for the ride, champion!! :Trophy:

I FINISHED THE DAMN BOOK! YAY!
:PartySmil

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get back to work on that novel that I stalled back in February. I am going to try to do at least 4k a day so hopefully by August it'll be finished. :Thumbs: Wish me luck, everyone! I am going to try to do 2k in the morning and 2k at night, so I'm off to bed now.

Congrats, champions!!
Sincerely
Magali.

Chrisla

Registered
Reaction score
A challenge born out of frustration.

The Rules:

1) You must do something to your novel before you can log onto the internet. You can add a single sentence or edit your last one, but it has to be something, and you have to do it every time.

2) You can't start any other projects until your current one is finished. This includes outlining. (You can jot down ideas, but that's it, Bucko!)

3) You must have a daily, weekly, or monthly goal that is absolutely doable for you, in your current situation, right now. It doesn't matter how small it is. That self-imposed goal should be your absolute minimum number of words for the time period specified.

4) You must post your working title, word count, goal, and updates here so that you can be cheered on.

Any takers?

Okay, I'm late to this thread, but I need something to give me a push, so I'm in.
Title (as of now) Almost Smart
Words: 15,500
Goal: 500 per day, which is probably ambitious, because I still have a lot of research to do.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Magali!

1)You must do something to your novel before you can log onto the internet.
Is screaming at the bloody thing considered doing something to it? :tongue

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
CONGRATULATIONS MAGALI! AHHHHH WOOOOOH YOU DID IT! Celebrate, drink, eat cake! Does this mean you're leaving us now? :( We'll pay you to stay...

Okay, I'm late to this thread, but I need something to give me a push, so I'm in.
Title (as of now) Almost Smart
Words: 15,500
Goal: 500 per day, which is probably ambitious, because I still have a lot of research to do.
Welcome to you! Good luck, and this is a good place to come for pushes :)

930 words down this morning, now I'm off for a nice long run and then going to spend the day in the sunshine with the boyfriend...yey! I'm only 700 words away from 30k though, so I MUST get to that milestone tonight.

Well done everyone else, have a good writing day!

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
So, we had some strides, but with the forum hiccup, we lost them. Here's to hoping that no one gets discouraged by that. And, look what we have! The posts that were saved last were the ones recognizing Magali's great accomplishment that this thread encourages everyone to reach. Great job, Magali, and keep it up everyone else!

Reaction score
Hey!

So this is an update on my progress.

I just sat down to get my last 1k words on my 2nd WIP, "Imperfect Angels", for which the word meter is gone, but that's no problem, since it takes only minutes to create another one... LOL!! And well, I am going to fix my first word meter and create the second one.

In the meantime I want to congratulate everyone for their progress and I'm looking forward to handing out more big :Trophy: and here's one for you, David Poellot :Trophy: and a :e2cookie: for the great job you're doing, and to all my other fellow champions, well, keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!! Just glad the Water Cooler is up and running again!! That proves that while we get knocked down sometimes, we always get back up, which means we're never defeated!!

Sincerely
Magali.

Reaction score
Updating word meter.

I did my last 1k daily words for yesterday, today, July 13, 2011, from midnight to 12:52 AM, so those words count for July 13 to me, not for July 12, so I am going to add those words to whatever amount of words I do later today. It's almost 1 AM and I have to shut the computer down and go to sleep. :) Goodnight, my fellow champions!!

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Magali, you're a trooper!

I am FLOUNDERING...it's been a terribly unproductive week or so. Someone give me a massive kick and tell me to get on with it!

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
I hearby kick Isabelle! (But in the nicest possible way.) Get on with it, Isabelle! You can do it! A little at a time is far more than nothing.

Magali, even during the AW blackout I still heard the echo of your cheerleading, and got a lot done. Chapter 28 is finished and ch. 29 is well underway. And that's the last chapter. Expect to have the complete draft by end of the day Thursday.

Reaction score
Magali, you're a trooper!

I am FLOUNDERING...it's been a terribly unproductive week or so. Someone give me a massive kick and tell me to get on with it!

Well, Isabelle, all writers have rough patches. :) I stopped writing on February 2011 and then from then on I wrote a little bit on the following months, and it wasn't until June 2011 that I started really writing, as in everyday, 20-40 pages of my handwritten novel, every day. I recovered from a 4-month forced break (writer's block due to depression) and if I recovered from a 4-month break, you can recover from a 1-week forced break!! I mean come on!! Seriously! You are a true champion, so don't let anything or anyone get you down!! Shite happens, and sometimes life gets in the way, but what you have to do is take care of whatever problem it is you have, remove the big rock, and continue on your way!! You can do it!! I know it's almost 3:00 PM in London right now, I just looked it up, but since it's 9:52 AM EST, USA, I am offering you some :e2coffee: to get you going and a nice :e2cookie: to sweeten your life a little after the rough patch you had, and a big :Trophy: for taking care of your struggles this week!! You can do it and you will!! GO ISABELLE!! :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer: You are a star!! Champs never quit! Champions fall, get up, and keep on going, fighting until their last breath!! :Thumbs:

I hearby kick Isabelle! (But in the nicest possible way.) Get on with it, Isabelle! You can do it! A little at a time is far more than nothing.

Word, that's what I tell my fellow champs all the time!! :e2headban

Lizardmaker said:
Magali, even during the AW blackout I still heard the echo of your cheerleading, and got a lot done. Chapter 28 is finished and ch. 29 is well underway. And that's the last chapter. Expect to have the complete draft by end of the day Thursday.

:Trophy: for finishing ch.28 and another big :Trophy: for starting ch. 29!! You are so close to the finish line! I can smell the victory!! Woohoo! I was about to start my first writing session of the day, but I had to come and keep up to date with the progress of my champions!! Recovery from the blackout yesterday proves that nothing can keep us down!! We always get up and keep going!! Oh, and here's a :e2cookie: and a glass of milk as a reward, too. Woot, woot, we're looking forward to a big celebration Thursday!! :PartySmil

Go, champions!
Magali.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Good job everyone, to everything I missed :D

500ish words written so far for the day. Hit 44k total. I have everything else outlined and am a cheerful person.

Status
Not open for further replies.