Rejectomancy

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Re: ChiZine--I also received confirmation 32 days ago. The sub's been out for 61 days though, so as you can imagine, I'm eating my fingers...

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, same here. Didn't we all get our confirmations on the same day?
I remember everyone checking in and saying so.

My subs been with them for 65 days.
I'm expecting it back any time now.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, they didn't seem to do anything between the end of May and the beginning of August.

So it all depends on how they are treating the backlog that's accumulated.

Still, where there's life, there's hope.
So, fingers crossed for all of us.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The thing is, they didn't seem to do anything between the end of May and the beginning of August.

So it all depends on how they are treating the backlog that's accumulated.

Still, where there's life, there's hope.
So, fingers crossed for all of us.

One would assume "in order" but I guess anything's possible.

I second the fingers crossed sentiment.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In order would be nice! I hope so.

Fingers and toes crossed. :D

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
My chizine piece's been with them for two months or so too, and I remember getting the confirmation around everyone else.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, in that case, there are a couple other markets I hope everybody subbed to. ;)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new, but rejectomancy is what brought me here. I also got the Chi-zine acknowledgement 32 days ago, and have a crickets so loud I'm going deaf otherwise.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new, but rejectomancy is what brought me here. I also got the Chi-zine acknowledgement 32 days ago, and have a crickets so loud I'm going deaf otherwise.

Welcome! (-:

Good luck to you and everyone else with your ChiZine subs -- I only sent them something once, not long after I first started writing, and got a head-spinningly-fast rejection (and appropriately so, in hindsight, but hey.)

-Suzanne

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I got back everything on the market today, after the hiatus... 12 submissions. Meaning I have now got 18 stories out. Or I had. First two rejections in lightning speed... both crime stories (first ones I have submitted in that genre. I like to read it, but don't really know how to write it yet)... crime markets seem to be dead fast and professional.

Not sure how I feel. Both rejections were fair enough, highlighting things I already know/think are problems with my work. It's interesting that these days I seem to be getting more personal rejections.

In some ways it shows things improving, in other ways it can make one feel blah... although you know the editors are trying to help you.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
OK, I got back everything on the market today, after the hiatus... 12 submissions. Meaning I have now got 18 stories out. Or I had. First two rejections in lightning speed... both crime stories (first ones I have submitted in that genre. I like to read it, but don't really know how to write it yet)... crime markets seem to be dead fast and professional.

Not sure how I feel. Both rejections were fair enough, highlighting things I already know/think are problems with my work. It's interesting that these days I seem to be getting more personal rejections.

In some ways it shows things improving, in other ways it can make one feel blah... although you know the editors are trying to help you.

I've never felt good after a rejection, I don't think. I mean, yes, I've taken a personal R (or even a higher-tiered R) and looked on the bright side, chalked it up to personal growth, etc., but as one of my favorite authors said of rejections, a gentle pass is still a pass.

The solace to be taken is that it happens to everyone. Even the wunderkinds among us who have pro sales six weeks into their careers suffer rejections. We all do. What you should do is take heart in the fact that you can recognize your shortcomings, and use the R's as a guide to help you improve. The tough part is, of course, that you might feel stalled out along the way, but again, it happens to everyone. No matter where you are on this journey, you're not alone, someone else has been there and persevered.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((((((ShadowFox and Aggy)))))))

Sorry about the Rs.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Waiting to hear from ChiZine makes me feel like Westley as captive to the Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride.

"Good night, Westley. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting to hear from ChiZine makes me feel like Westley as captive to the Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride.

"Good night, Westley. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

:Thumbs:

Rarely does a week go by that the child and I haven't quoted something from The Princess Bride.

Shelley

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

What are some of those fast/professional crime markets you really like? I mostly write SF/F but I do have a crime story that will need to get subbed somewhere after another rewrite or two, except that I know literally nothing of those markets, except for Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock's mystery magazines.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checked Duotrope and I'm getting to that point again, where several of my stories are simultaneously at or past the average response times at their markets. I anticipate a rejection-heavy week coming up, but maybe an acceptance will sneak in. Here's hoping!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Back to crickets today. Anyone know if GUD is going to pull together? The Weather's Always Fine in Paradise is at 530 days now. I'd rather not let it sit much longer.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Back to crickets today. Anyone know if GUD is going to pull together? The Weather's Always Fine in Paradise is at 530 days now. I'd rather not let it sit much longer.

Apparently the website hasn't been working for a little while, and Duotrope will be declaring it dead on the 14th if nothing changes.

That doesn't actually mean it is a dead market, but it certainly looks worrisome. Has anybody queried them recently and gotten a response? There's a 2-week old question on their Facebook page asking where the website is that they haven't responded to. Certainly doesn't look promising.

After waiting that long, I'd hesitate to pull it until I was sure.

ETA: Their domain expires on Sep 20th. If it doesn't get renewed by then, that may be a sure sign. But until then, the site could be messed up from an attack of some kind or a general server problem that hasn't been addressed.

Shelley

Last edited: