The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
At least as of Issue One, Nine did.

I didn't get a second-round email on my novelette (Issue 2), but I suspect it had something to do with the number of novelette-length submissions, or perhaps with the difficulty of conducting multiple review rounds on 10,000-word stories.

At least, I hope it was one of those, and not that my acceptance was a mistake....

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't recall getting a round 2 e-mail from Nine but they did post on Twitter saying "if you submitted before such-and-such date and didn't hear back from us yet, you're in round 2."

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I didn't get a second-round email on my novelette (Issue 2), but I suspect it had something to do with the number of novelette-length submissions, or perhaps with the difficulty of conducting multiple review rounds on 10,000-word stories.

At least, I hope it was one of those, and not that my acceptance was a mistake....

No, Sarah -- Actually I was mistaken. I remembered knowing I was in the second round but had forgotten that it was due to a tweet as Alex noted.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I am definitely feeling grumpy about my submissions this week. Come on, someone owes me a response... http://grab.by/e9t8 (Duotrope stats)
Well, it's definitely under consideration, then, at least. Probably serious consideration, if what i know of that market is correct.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
I received a prompt response to my query confirming that my story was in the second look pile, which is enough to make me leave it. But I am wondering about whether to send birthday presents... ;)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I received a prompt response to my query confirming that my story was in the second look pile, which is enough to make me leave it. But I am wondering about whether to send birthday presents... ;)

Ha! Maybe you should if that one turns one year old next month, but I hope for your sake you hear before then. If your other turns two... well, hopefully it's a killer market (Tor.com?? - I know their response times are up there). You certainly have more patience than I do.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes head in*

hey y'all, long time no see! I've been away (due to life taking a couple of hard knocks) but things have settled and I thought it would be good to come see how all you folks were doing. I've missed you!

I've been taking a break from short fiction (though I did write one of my favorite short pieces ever this past spring) and I'm writing a novel, currently 66,000 words in! I'm mostly doing it to prove that I can write close to a 100,000 words, and I'm doing okay so far.

Just wanted to say hi! Been poking around Braggage, good to see all your triumphs!

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
Hi everyone. I'm helping at a fascinating literary conference this week about comic and graphic novels and their educational benefits. Totally fun. Also gearing up for the first ever Denver Comic Con. I think we're in for a ride this weekend! Walked the floor this afternoon and got almost giddy. I'm keeping a notepad in my pocket to write down character notes. Should get lots of little bits this weekend.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Victoria! *hugs* Nice to see you :)

And you too, sammy! :) (that'll teach me for living a window open for ages and not refreshing)

Last edited:

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Hi all! Plugging away like everyone else. Just passed 63K on my novel (yay!), I have 3 subs out right now (2 out for 14 days, but one out since November. Yikes!).

Various market calls with June/July deadlines are tempting me but I'm finding it hard to pull myself away from the book (which is good I suppose, considering I was blocked for a few months. All of my 2012 subs so far have been resubs of older stories though so I'm torn). The nice weather doesn't help my word count either. Maybe I should go scribble under a tree.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, wondering if you know of any good literary horror magazines to submit to (or where I could find a listing)? I write a lot of horror short stories but they've stayed in the trunk thus far, figured I might let a few of em see the light of day :)

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Ha! Maybe you should if that one turns one year old next month, but I hope for your sake you hear before then. If your other turns two... well, hopefully it's a killer market (Tor.com?? - I know their response times are up there). You certainly have more patience than I do.

Yes, it's Tor.com - I don't think there's another market that I would wait that long for.

I'm usually pretty patient - I like stories to be out of the way so I can get on with new things. But right now there's one story which is postal (which always makes me nervous) and another one at a market that previously bounced my mails (this is the first time I got a sub through) and in both instances, Duotrope is showing recent submissions responded to while mine is past due. I'm torn between hoping that they are under serious consideration (both markets would be a first for me) and fearing that my submissions got lost in the ether and they don't even know I'm waiting.

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *checks inbox again* *tap* *tap* *tap*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi guys, wondering if you know of any good literary horror magazines to submit to (or where I could find a listing)? I write a lot of horror short stories but they've stayed in the trunk thus far, figured I might let a few of em see the light of day :)
Try searching on duotrope :) You can define your searches all sorts of ways, and they're one of the best market databases out there.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's Tor.com - I don't think there's another market that I would wait that long for.

I'm usually pretty patient - I like stories to be out of the way so I can get on with new things. But right now there's one story which is postal (which always makes me nervous) and another one at a market that previously bounced my mails (this is the first time I got a sub through) and in both instances, Duotrope is showing recent submissions responded to while mine is past due. I'm torn between hoping that they are under serious consideration (both markets would be a first for me) and fearing that my submissions got lost in the ether and they don't even know I'm waiting.

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *checks inbox again* *tap* *tap* *tap*

Well, hoping for you that it means they are both under serious consideration.

I know someone who just started at Tor.com as a slush reader. I was hoping maybe that meant they were recruiting more help to get their response times down. According to a blog post there ages ago, it sounded like they were going to try and do better, so maybe yours is climbing the ladder :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
This will seem paltry to most of you grizzled pros, but for the first time ever I have 5 submissions out at the same time! It's a milestone.
5 stories out there is great! I know one writer who worked for ages on one story, revised it in VP, subbed it, got rejected, and I've never seen her post about subbing again. The only way to win this game is to keep putting more stuff out there 'til it starts to stick.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
This will seem paltry to most of you grizzled pros, but for the first time ever I have 5 submissions out at the same time! It's a milestone.

It is indeed. Congratulations! With the good work you've been showing in the Shock Totem competitions I suspect your biggest challenge in bulking up your sub count will be having stories be accepted quickly! A good "problem" to have, for sure.

The only way to win this game is to keep putting more stuff out there 'til it starts to stick.

Ain't that the truth! And it can take a while -- I racked up a gigantic number of rejections before my recent flurry of acceptances. Staying in there is the only way, indeed.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning my trek in the W1S1 world. My goal is to W1S1 per week. I'm at W1S1 every three weeks, or so, now, but it's time to get serious.

Wish me luck!

Welcome, brother!

Says I, who've been woefully neglecting his own W1S1 goals in favor of reading submissions and editing.