Help. Helphelphelp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seawitch

Registered
Reaction score
So here's the funny thing. Back in... yegads, I was in elementary school (!!) back when I came up with a ReallyCoolIdea and wrote a story about a bunch of people waking up on a distant planet much like our own. I had some kind of silly premise that bang, they were kidnapped by the government while they were in college, frozen in time, then shipped to this distant planet without their knowledge or consent. They just wake up there wondering what happened (like, that must have been a hell of a party!!), they're the last survivors of earth, it was these crazy scientist people who tried to put them on there because Earth was destroyed. I didn't really care about the premise because my point was to write the story about how they founded their civilization. For all it mattered to me at the time, they could have been dropped off in Alaska. (And actually I had a brief variation where these were high schoolers on a plane trip and they crashed in northern Canada... kinda Hatchet and Lord of the Flies mix.)

Fine. Whatever. I was just playing around with the back-story, it had a lot of versions to it, sometimes the scientists came back to tell them it was a cosmic joke, sometimes they were stranded forever, whatever. I didn't actually need the spaceships so sometimes they just "woke up there" in a big field. Sometimes the space ship self-destructed leaving no traces. I was writing for fun, so the logic loopholes didn't matter. I just wanted a bunch of people in the woods, basically, without technology, no hope of rescue. Fine.

Fast forward to now... I am writing now mostly about the descendants of those people, a few hundred years in the future. There are different countries that have formed, expansions have happened, etc. The thing is, I have a fantasy world built around these people, their history, etc.

But considering all that... it's a good old fantasy, but fantasies don't typically start off with spaceships. The two don't mesh, for me. I need the people to be dropped off on a new planet without having volunteered for it. I need some of the people to run off with the earthly knowledge. I need them to have the dynamic of strangers-who-just-met-and-are-the-same-age-and-must-make-society-from-scratch. But.. spaceships? Really? I don't want spaceships. I have dwarves and ghosts and priestesses and elves and a magic mountain and deities. I don't want a freaking space ship too. It throws me off.

Is there any other way that the people could have come to this planet, that is much like earth? From earth? With earthly knowledge but little personal knowledge? (As in, they can read and such and have basically a glorified encyclopedia of humanity's collective wisdom, but they're barely more than kids, none of them are doctors or scientists... they're undergrads.)

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Well, you could always use some kind of magical/dimensional portal.

Personally, I don't have an issue with space ships in fantasy. (Woo! Science Fantasy!) But then I grew up reading Anne McCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley, who both walked the line between SF and F rather frequently.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm having a major brain cramp, but there's this fantasy trilogy whose backstory is spaceships. It's set way in the future, and humans are living on the moon because scientists figured out how to create atmosphere and add water and such. They have witches and magic and lots of fantasy elements, and sometimes people pray to the Unknown-Nameless ones, who are depicted as NASA-type astronauts in spacesuits.

Argh--I'm at work and cannot remember the names of the books. MC is a servant/companion to a rich girl, rich girl gets killed by a serial killer/magician working a spell, MC gets kidnapped and becomes servant to rich girl's ghost and the other ghosts. She has to spin cloth with an empty spindle (succeeds finally), and falls in love with intended husband of rich girl. I remember throwing the 3rd book across the room because I hated the ending of the trilogy.

My point :) is: why not spaceships, especially if it's the distant past?

Pixar did that with the end credits of WALL-E: After humans re-colonized Earth, the credits showed cave-paintings that mythologized the re-colonization.

Your spaceship idea could certainly work. Go for it!

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
As Amergina said; a portal would make sense.

But a spaceship could also work. I remember playing a game once (was it Baldur's Gate?), in which they used your set-up exactly. So don't sweat it, and see whatever best for you.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
C.S. Friedman mixed science fiction and fantasy beautifully in a very similar idea to yours (as far as how the people arrived where they are) in the Coldfire Trilogy. You might want to give those books a read.

Ditto with Sharon Shinn's Angels of Samaria series, and Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
We all suffer from the occasional imagination failure. I stay listen to your instincts and pick the path (portal, space drive that is since forgotten/destroyed, whatever) that suits your story best. Good luck!

RichardFlea

Foo!
Registered
Reaction score
At home - Adelaide (if you know where that is!)
Don't forget that time erases concepts.

Look at 'Mad Max - Beyond thunderdome' where there are a whole heap of kids the same age and their jet liner has crashed near a ravine and they grow up all alone. They create stories about the great bird with thunder wings that brought them to this place. We look and see a Jumbo 747, but they see a great bird. Why couldn't your people have different terms for the spaceship that make sense in their medieval magical world?

I personally have this happen in one of my books. They refer to spaceships as Arks (aka Noah) as they carried themselves as well as animals.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Remember Clark's law - any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Perhaps this is a time for you to start thinking of the underlying metaphysics of your world? What is magic - is it technology which was left by the original founders and which no one now understands enough to consider technology so it becomes magic? Why are there dwarves - should you be considering evolutionary elements?

Now, you don't need to answer these questions fully but you do need to be thinking about them and applying some form of logic to your structure.

A few other examples of a mix of sci fi and fantasy. Peter Moorwood wrote a very interesting fantasy series which began with a book called The Horse Lord. There was magic in that and a typical 'mentor' who was named as a wizard. It is only in the final book that it is revealed that he is, in fact, the only survivor of a crashed spaceship. Barbara Hambly (in collaboration with another writer) also wrote a series (Magic Time) where a modern day world is brought into close proximity to an alternative reality where magic works and creatures like goblins exist by the activation of a physics experiment. The result of this are that technology stops working because the paradigm of the universe shifts to one where the laws of physics are different and some individuals begin to change - becoming goblin like or elf like - and some acquire magical powers.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Currently working on a story that starts off in space and ends in fantasy. It works.

My concern is really a simple. How many kids from the first story were involved?

The reason I asked is because if this new story takes place just a few centuries later. In order for your originals to survive and populate, you would need a very large gene pool selection. Ten, Twenty or even a hundred kids to start off with is very low. Not impossible, but low enough that in just a few hundred years there will not be that large of a population increase to justify new countries.

Just a thought...

utopianmonk

Registered
Reaction score
I see absolutely nothing wrong with starting with sci-fi. In fact I think it's really cool. But, as said above, I would be wary of the real science. Make sure your population has had sufficient time to grow.

At least you're not dealing with evolution. That's given me a lot of headaches :)

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
My current WIP is a science fantasy in which humans in a ship crash to earth on a planet populated with humanoid species we'd think of as "fantasy" races. The story is told from the perspective of the natives whose population is decimated by disease and resource consumption of humans as an introduced species. (Not unlike Europeans coming to the Americas and bringing their diseases) Some folks love that interstitial stuff.

If it really throws you off as a writer, I'd go back to basics and ask yourself some "Why" questions on the fundamentals of your story.

Why must the original crew be unwilling? (Considering the resources required to undertake this experiement, wouldn't it make more sense to get trained, willing volunteers?) Why must they be young undergrads? etc.

What is the purpose you're really trying to get at with your story--an air of mystery? A theme of oppression? When you get down to what your story NEEDS, you may find that some of these plot "requirements" aren't as set in stone as you thought.

Maybe there are other ways for the first people on this world to accumulate their knowledge. Maybe 10 generations later no one knows how their society was started and myths and legends have already begun cropping up, distorting the truth.

Lots of ways to handle this. Be flexible with the details of how to get across your story, especially the "gems" you've been clinging to since elementary school. If you let go of the restrictions of the original story, your adult writer brain may invent some better workarounds for the problems you're facing.
(And like I said, I don't find SF/fantasy hybrids in itself to be a "problem" but if YOU do, then there's plenty of other ways to execute the story)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a major brain cramp, but there's this fantasy trilogy whose backstory is spaceships. It's set way in the future, and humans are living on the moon because scientists figured out how to create atmosphere and add water and such. They have witches and magic and lots of fantasy elements, and sometimes people pray to the Unknown-Nameless ones, who are depicted as NASA-type astronauts in spacesuits.

Argh--I'm at work and cannot remember the names of the books. MC is a servant/companion to a rich girl, rich girl gets killed by a serial killer/magician working a spell, MC gets kidnapped and becomes servant to rich girl's ghost and the other ghosts. She has to spin cloth with an empty spindle (succeeds finally), and falls in love with intended husband of rich girl. I remember throwing the 3rd book across the room because I hated the ending of the trilogy.

I think you may be thinking of Darkangel, A Gathering of Gargoyles and The Pearl of the Soul of the World by Meredith Ann Pierce. Excellent books. And yes, it's science so far advanced it acts like magic.

I had no problem with the ending.

Last edited:

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
If you don't want technology, religion is your friend. You have deities? Well easiy, the deities did it! You could have a Noah's Ark/Deluge situation, where the deities are disatisfied with contemporary mankind, decide to destroy everything and start fresh with a few righteous souls.

jaeladarling

I like less than half of you.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe whoever sends those characters to another planet hailed from that planet, and they possess some sort of transport skill. Shiny lights and they disappear and all that. Or if you're really stuck on the "pure" fantasy element, you could insert a flying beast of some sort. Or an oxygen-rich orb that transported them safely there. There are many options.

Of course, as others have said, a spaceship isn't SO bad. Allow yourself some time to chew on it. ;)

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
I think Kat and Flea and others have nailed it. The BIG question: Is it important to your story for the reader to know how/why they got there? If not, then don't sweat it. If it is important for us to know they are not native to the planet, then make up lore and myth that explains it. I can assure you, that if they arrived with nothing but their clothes on their backs, within a few generations, their arrival story is going to be so morphed as to be virtually unrecognizable.

ScienceOfFiction

Only a student of the science
Registered
Reaction score
Another fantastic example of science fiction/fantasy crossover is the Soul Rider Series by Jack L. Chalker. Goodness, gracious. An excellent, mind-bending series. Your plot re: spaceship, and later fantasy milieu, reminded me of it. I won't spoil with any more info.

ScienceOfFiction

Only a student of the science
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to double-post, but if you can't work it out with a spaceship, then you could always have an omniscient being, or something god-like, that snatches folks from one world and drops them in the next. Sort of like the role of the Creator in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I like what Dave Duncan did in The Reluctant Swordsman trilogy - he had a modern engineer transferred to a pre-literate society on a different planet by a god, in order to carry out a mission that the god's chosen hero had failed to accomplish.

clovetea

Faster and Faster
Registered
Reaction score
Like others have said a portal would work, but I think sticking with spaceships is just fine. Fantasy doesn't have to have strict boundaries!

Status
Not open for further replies.