zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Suzanne - try doing what painters do: turn your art upside down for a different perspective. How to do that with characters?

LOL. I'm a large-format sculptor; I'd need several burly helpers to turn my work upside-down. (I started writing because I needed a creative outlet that took up a lot less space :))

Actually, this "story" was sort of an attempt to do much the same thing; I had a setting and some characters I wanted to explore outside the context of a larger tale, so I just sort of threw them on the page to watch what they'd do. That's why I'm not worried about not having a plot yet. (-:

-Suzanne

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, my first versions were ripped to hell, so I researched and rewrote and reposted, and the last version barely got noticed. Since I rarely see unanimous approval in QLH, no shredding was encouragement enough to move on to querying. Could be I misread that signal.

Anywho, forever onward! Whatever happens, I still enjoy writing.

And hanging around the pub. :D

I know the feeling! Mine is there right now...round 2, and yes, the responses go from one end of the spectrum to the other. I did however do another rewrite and in doing so, came up with a bit more of story!! Going back to writing what will possibly be a missing link! :)

I have learned to dismiss some and take to heart others! They all mean well but in the end it's all you!! If you are getting rejections, maybe you should give it another shot. It could be just your query and not your story. :D

Rawiya

Registered
Reaction score
Might I get a hot chocolate. Extra chocolate please.

I just left a cold drippy day behind, I enjoy a toasty pub. :D

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could do with some sun here myself. But I'm not complaining, it's 15 degrees, and they're calling for thunderstorms later! I love thunderstorms :)

That's interesting. Is 15C and thundrstorms normal for this time of year, in your neck of the woods?
We've been having a lot of thunderstorms, which is not normal this late in the season. They're saying it's got something to do with this La Nina pattern.
Is affecting your weather as well?

Might I get a hot chocolate. Extra chocolate please.

I just left a cold drippy day behind, I enjoy a toasty pub. :D

*Slides over big mug of hot chocolate with extra, extra chocolate.*

:hi: Hi Rawiya. Welcome to the pub. It's nice to see you here.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting. Is 15C and thundrstorms normal for this time of year, in your neck of the woods?
We've been having a lot of thunderstorms, which is not normal this late in the season. They're saying it's got something to do with this La Nina pattern.
Is affecting your weather as well?

Yeah, it's just about the right time for thunderstorms to start around here.

But La Nina really did affect us this winter. We had a really long stretch of ridiculously cold weather.

Hi Rawiya :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know the feeling! Mine is there right now...round 2, and yes, the responses go from one end of the spectrum to the other. I did however do another rewrite and in doing so, came up with a bit more of story!! Going back to writing what will possibly be a missing link! :)

I have learned to dismiss some and take to heart others! They all mean well but in the end it's all you!! If you are getting rejections, maybe you should give it another shot. It could be just your query and not your story. :D

Thanks, Honey. :Hug2: I have a few more queries out that I'm waiting for rejections from offers of representation. :D The next step may be back to QLH. I'm not the greatest at critiquing queries, but I'll give yours a look see.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I'm a large-format sculptor;
Oh wow, Suzanne. You are a multi-talented woman! I so admire almost any kind of sculpture. To be able to creat 3D art must be awesome.

Yeah, it's just about the right time for thunderstorms to start around here.

But La Nina really did affect us this winter. We had a really long stretch of ridiculously cold weather.

We're probably in for a very cold winter too. Okay, it won't be what you call 'cold' but cold for us. I see the sun is starting to shine into our windows now (a sure sign of autumn) so you should be having a nice spring soon. Well, I hope it's nice.

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh vamp---you totally missed seeing the stuff behind the bar!!

*breaks out balloons*
*sets cake and ice cream on bar*

:PartySmil Party!!!

vampgirl278

I DO believe in fairies and magic!
Registered
Reaction score
WooHOOOOOOO!!!!! PPPAAAAARRRRTYYYYY!!!! Where are all of the party 'animals'? Like the grand master dragon? *Grabs a piece of cake and some ice cream and waits to see who else might show up*

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like you and me kiddo!!

*Grabs cake and ice cream*

*Inhales helium from balloon*

Happy 1st day of work!

:ROFL: I love doing that!!

vampgirl278

Registered
Reaction score
LMAO... wow, Honey... You just gave me BIGTIME flashback from my old job... How am I supposed to type when I can't see through the blur of tears!? :D

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: happy to have ended the good day with a good laugh!!

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

*cuts last piece of cake into two*

You like chocolate - you'll fit in here just fine. There's a sekrit stash of just about everything here. (Honey and Sara know where the sekrit chocolate stash is.)

Even free cake! Help yourself.

Vampgirl - I hope your second day is even better!

*Looks around*

Where are Jed and Sara? Is there a mod convention on somewhere?

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Goodmorning everyone. Looks like I missed a good party! :)
*wipes crumbs and icing off bar*

Coffee or Tea anyone?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Count me in for a nice hot cup of tea. At work and I left my tea mug in my other office, so I have to settle for a virtual cuppa. Saw a daffodil in flower this morning looking sad in the rain, but it's the first flower I've seen yet this spring and all the more welcome for it.

Hope most of you are having a sunnier day with real beverages near at hand (-:

-Suzanne

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Morning pub peeps! Hot tea sounds great this morning. :) Temperature has dropped 30 degrees here just since last night. Big storm and cold front blasted through!

*Looks around*

Where are Jed and Sara? Is there a mod convention on somewhere?

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Can't say for Sara, but we all know Jed always has a convention going on inside his head!! :D

vampgirl278

Registered
Reaction score
It's not too bad temp-wise here... but I'm burning up right now. Just did the first day of the 30 Day Shred workout video and it's KILLER... I almost DIED! ;) lol

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
We've been having a lot of thunderstorms, which is not normal this late in the season.

We had a thunderstorm here yesterday, which made the warm weather take a dip. The weather can't seem to decide if it's done being winter yet.

WooHOOOOOOO!!!!! PPPAAAAARRRRTYYYYY!!!! Where are all of the party 'animals'? Like the grand master dragon? *Grabs a piece of cake and some ice cream and waits to see who else might show up*

Dang, missed the party. :(

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
You're a brave girl, vampgirl. :)

The temp took a bit of a nose dive here too. Only a high of 4C here today. But by the weekend it's supposed to be back up into the low teens.

And we didn't get our thunderstorm last night. :(

vampgirl278

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd call me BRAVE, exactly. More like DETERMINED to be healthier... and if it takes almost killing myself to live a longer fuller life, then so be it. LOL. Really, though, if I can survive it once, I can survive it again. And it'll only get easier, right?

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep saying that over and over and over vamp!! It does get easier the longer you stick with it! :)

We got our storms Spiral! Lots of lightning and rumbling thunder. Now the temp has dropped significantly! :D

lndsymllr

Registered
Reaction score
It was 80+ degrees here Sunday (In Tennessee), dropped to high 30's Monday night and now it's in the 50's. For anyone with bad allergies, I wouldn't recommend TN, cause that's about normal for us.

But...I wouldn't mind some hot chocolate with extra marshmallows!

Status
Not open for further replies.