Historical M/M recommendations?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Can any of you recommend some good historical M/M fiction? I'm particularly interested in novels or short stories set in the 1930s-1950s period.

Thanks!

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
The Catch Trap by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Given what I have learned about the personal life of this author, I emphatically withdraw my recommendation of this book.

Last edited:

Brian Rush

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind right off the top of my head goes much further back, and that's The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough, which deals in part with Sulla's relationship with Metrobius.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Snowball in Hell by Josh Lanyon 1940's I think

Charlie Cochrane is known for depression era stuff: http://charliecochrane.co.uk/index.html

Whistling in the Dark by Tamara Allen Little earlier than you want, I think, 1920's? 1915?

If you want to go earlier, I'd recommend Erastes, her stories are at the top of my list for historicals (and I don't like historicals LOL). Although her favorite of mine is set in the 60's Junction X (tissue handy for lots of nose blowing and tears).

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be dense, but what is M/M historical? Puma

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I"m going to port this to the bookclub, but I'll leave a link here for a day so people can follow.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked False Colors by Alex Beecroft. It's set during the age of sail?..like Aubrey/Maturin :)

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
One book I really loved this year. 'Purly Gates' by Vastine Bondaurant. Set in California in the 1930s. Absolutely beautiful. Very atmospheric. Totally nailed the feel of the period.

holy_shiitake

KB1VWJ
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it, but NPR gave a really good review to As Meat Loves Salt a few months back -- I think it takes place during the 1800s during a war but don't quote me on that.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
As Meat Loves Salt is one of my favorites. It is definitely set much earlier than the period--it takes place during Oliver Cromwell's seizing of England.

I would second Charlie Cochrane. I've mainly read her mystery series which starts prior to WW1 and proceeds through it. (The Cambridge Fellows Mysteries). I refer people to her all the time; she needs to start paying me commission.

I didn't see in the OP that romance was mentioned. So I would think any historical that centered on non-heterosexual men could be included. Altho I suppose since it was "M/M" one would assume there were two such men in the story and things might happen.

Also will second Snowball in Hell by Josh Lanyon. It is a mystery novella with romantic overtones. He told me recently that when the sequel comes out he may release the two together in one volumne--that's what I'm waiting for.

And again just check out the catalogue of my publisher--all historical m/m fiction. Mine are too early for you (both turn of last century, and the second not available until Sept. /shameless plug) but there are many other fine writers there. (They also published Junction X which I have not yet read but which is cleaning up on great reviews!)

And finally a personal recommendation, Wingmen, by Ensan Case, which is a reissue of a story written many years back, but it fits your period perfectly.

ETA: Ug, I loathed The Catch Trap. I can't NOT recommend it enough.

Last edited: