• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chamein Canton Literary Agency (formerly Canton Smith Agency)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
caseyrobert:
As far as submitting works to publishers that only deal with agents. I'm not sure there are any. It's just tougher to get read without one. My wife prefers agency books.

There are plenty of publishers that state they only deal with agents - in children's publishing I can think of Bloomsbury and Faber and Faber off the top of my head.

caseyrobert:
We have since taken on many of her projects. and turned down even more.

Did you pay an advance on those projects that you did accept?

caseyrobert:
She is one of only 4 agents we work with as of this date. Our interview process for agents is tedious to say the least.

Why are you interviewing agents? Surely the only qualification an agent needs to submit to you is representation of an author with a good manuscript that you are willing to pay to publish.

caseyrobert:
As a publisher I don't recomend agents, but she is somebody who can submit to us without asking ahead. We don't give out that priveledge lightly.

Why don't you recommend agents? Firstly, agents work as a filter to make sure that you only have to go through good quality manuscripts. Secondly, agents know how to negotiate a contract, meaning that you're not dealing with pointless queries.

Why do you see it as a privilege for an agent to submit to you?

MM

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell us why you've given Chamein Canton Agency the privilege of submitting to you without asking ahead? What stellar qualities does this agency posses that you know about, but otherwise isn't readily apparent from their website?

This is what I was wondering, too. :Huh:

~Nancy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
All client and sales data is gone from their site. Unless you count this in Mr. Smith's bio:
Eric Smith, Senior Agent: After founding the agency in the late nineties and taking Chamein Canton on as a partner in 2001, Eric Smith is enjoying success as a soon to be published author with Dailey Swan Publishing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site now gone entirely. Ms. Canton has more books out with Genesis and Windriver. Mr. Weil has opened an editing service. Daily Swan now thanks Mr. Smith for help with their marketing efforts.