Goal: Write Articles, start freelancing, and start work on new novel idea.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have basically a three-fold goal this time. One, I want to write an article every week. Two, I want to get into the freelancing arena. Three, I want to start work seriously on a novel idea I came up with in the last week or two.

I already have a couple articles written, but I have very little knowledge of the freelancing business. I plan on doing a lot of research in the next few days and seeing if I can't order Jenna's book, Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer. The thing about the book is, I don't get paid for another two weeks and won't be able to order the book for some time. But I do plan on getting into the business as best I can over the next few weeks.

Finally, my novel is a Fantasy/Erotica work, so far. I have some basic ideas written down, but I haven't touched the project in several days. It will be a real matter of discipline for me to get back into novel-writing gear and see if I can't actually finish this piece instead of trunking it like I've done with every project for the last three WIPs. If I have to trunk it because of flaws or the work otherwise not working, so be it. But I really would like to get the work actually done at least to the first draft's completion.

So basically, that's my three-fold goal. I'm going to try to write for at least an hour a day, and hopefully I'll be able to crank out 250 words at a minimum in that period of time.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like great goals to me :)

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago, I did a "submission of the month plan," to work on developing a thick skin. I vowed to submit something -- a short story, an essay, an article, a partial, whatever, as long as it was outside my comfort zone (i.e., submitting a legal document to an existing client didn't count) -- every single month of the year.

The idea was to garner twelve rejections, feel the pain and realize I could survive the rejections. Unfortunately -- or fortunately, I guess -- I got positive responses to the first half dozen or so, and then got side-tracked while doing revisions for a novel that ultimately was rejected, so I didn't finish out the whole year of submissions.

I might suggest scaling back your goal just a teeny-weeny bit, so as not to get overwhelmed and get behind, and then start beating yourself up for getting behind, and so on. How about committing, at least initially, to one submission a month (rather than a week), and after you've met that goal for six months or so, then ramp up the rate slightly. Susan Mallery gives a really great talk on "writing more while writing better," and one of the things she emphasizes is not to increase your quota too fast, or you'll get frustrated. The first step is just to establish a daily writing quota, whatever you can meet consistently, even if it's just a page. Do that for TWO WEEKS AT LEAST. Maybe three. Then, in the following week, add about 10%. So, if you started out with a 250-word quota (one page), the next week, your quota is 275 words. And, again, let that settle in for two or three weeks. Then add another 10%, and you'd be up to about 300 words. And so on. The thing is to do it gradually, let your body and brain get used to the new routine, and only then try to increase it. It sounds slow, and it's easy to get impatient, but over the long term, it works better than starting with a too-high quota and then getting overwhelmed. You may not have a word quota, but the same sort of principle can apply to other things, like the frequency of submissions. With freelancing, you'll want to be submitting more than once a month, but starting out at that productivity level may be overwhelming and backfire on you.

You can also commit, in between the monthly submissions, to other steps you can take, like, as you're already envisioning, getting and reading Jenna's book, and researching the market and perhaps collecting notes on subjects and so on. Those things take time, and are part of the process.

FWIW, I have a little year-at-a-glance calendar (made it myself from a table on my wordprocessing program, nothing fancy), and in each month's box, I have a major fiction project to work on, a shorter fiction project (for a break from the main project), a non-fiction project, a PR project, and the name of any of my stories that are being released that month (for the positive reinforcement), etc. They aren't quite formal goals, but it keeps the stuff in front of me that I'm planning to work on in a given month and helps me keep at least a little bit on track (since I'm easily distracted). And I love crossing stuff off when I complete it.

Just a suggestion.

JD

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Good Luck with everything Sean/Ian. What’s with the screen name change?

*I’m easily confused*

SeanDSchaffer was my original username. For a while, I thought it best to write under a different name, a pseudonym. But then a couple days ago, I realized I was doing so for the wrong reasons. I had originally said I changed my name because of privacy, but I now understand it was more because I hated my own name than anything else.

So now I've decided to go back to that hated name, because it is my given name, and because people know who Sean D. Schaffer is. I think the 'Clean Slate' idea kind of attracted me to using a different name. Now I wish I had never unregistered my original account, frankly, because reading my old posts would have been a tremendous wealth of change in my own life, that could have become an inspiration to other writers going through the same stuff I used to go through.

Anyway, it's over with now. There's nothing I can do about unregistering my old account, but at least I have the name everyone remembered me by before the pseudonym fiasco.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had to trunk the novel idea, because it didn't work when I really stopped and thought about it. However, I have written, just today, a six-page short Erotica piece, which is only first-draft quality right now but I'll probably be doing some serious editing by tomorrow--I'm hoping.

The articles are pretty slow right now, but I do have an idea for one, if I can figure out exactly how to write it. And I'm taking up what JanDarby suggested so far as article submissions go. Instead of trying to do one every week, I'm going to go with once a month. My reason is exactly what JD explained to me. The idea is if I give myself more time to work on each piece and do the proper research, I won't be as likely to burn out as if I gave myself less time. Plus, I have extra obligations in life now, not the least of which is a significant other, and I think the added work of doing one article a week would actually hurt my ability to continue writing with the effectiveness I like to work with.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Cool news!

I just submitted my first-ever freelance article tonight!

Some might be skeptical of the site, and I know very little about it, but I submitted an article on (what else?) writing to AssociatedContent.com. I submitted with the idea of possibly being paid, although I do not know if they'll accept it.

But the fact remains, one of my goals for this month has been met. I have actually, literally submitted my article for the Month of February. I am overjoyed that I finally took the needed step and actually did something constructive with my writing.

As for my other goals, I have started a new novel, which I'm just working on organically--without an outline, in other words. I have so far done two chapters and an introduction, on the first draft, and though I have not written anything on it today in particular, I find myself satisfied that I have done something right by simply writing when I feel like writing instead of pushing myself.

This seems to be working for me, so I am quite happy at the moment. If the article is published, my 25 years as an aspiring writer will technically be no longer applicable, because I will have been published by what I understand to be a legitimate company... albeit possibly a low-paying one, as I've heard in the past.

Anyway, that is what is going on with me now. I am officially an Associated Content provider. My freelancing career, whether my first freelance article is published or no, is finally beginning. I feel quite good.

:)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
You know that article I submitted last week?

AC published it! I am thrilled. My aspirations to be a freelancer are now paying off.

I still have not had a novel legitimately published, but at this point, I could not care less. My writing has finally done some good in this world.

Oh, and I also started a blog last night. I so far have two posts on it. I am getting into gear and beginning to really take off. I am very happy.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Update on Freelancing Gig; Have Submitted a Short Story.

Hi everyone!

I wanted to let you all know that my freelancing is coming along. I have another article published through AC, and I've signed up with Constant-Content, as well. CC has one of my articles up for sale right now. It's pretty nice, as they pay more than does AC, so far, for articles and do professional editing of my work. It's a pretty cool market, and I hope it works out.

In other news, I submitted a short story to an Erotica e-zine the other day. I should hear from them in about a month, according to their website.

I'm working on my novel that I had originally decided to set on the back burner for a while, as well as another novel I worked on last year. I'm BICing much more, and I think that really helps a bundle. It gives me more productivity that way, as well as a sense of accomplishment come the end of each day.

So things are coming along well on all fronts. I look forward to letting you all know when I get my novel submitted in a good form.

I hope this post finds you all having a good day, and I'll talk to you all later.