A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Had a very weird thing just a while ago. I have spent the last couple of days researching the science behind my sci-fi police procedural, and ages I got the idea to have the force's base on a Lagrange point space station between Earth and the Moon, so was looking up how far exactly it'd be from Earth etc all stuff like that. In the meantime my uncle, who was formerly a chemist before he retired, is telling me that that's a load of rubbish and none of the idea would work. And then this comes up on Twitter...

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...a-contemplates-manned-space-station-near-moon

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Well I'll be darned. HA! Now you are going to show this to your uncle right. Right?

Besides your writing science fiction. It doesn't have to exist yet. It's your world, I'm sure you can make it believable. Your uncle must have seen Star Trek?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sprays thread with lysol*

Hope everyone who's feeling sicky gets better soon.

*hands out vitamin C-laced chocolates*
*stocks up on precautionary salt and vinegar chips*

HS, I sent you a reppie message but I just have say again that your cover pic is absolutely beautiful. I love that style of art.

In other news. My grandson is having his 10th birthday party on Saturday. He is taking his friends ten-pin bowling and I have to make him a ten-pin bowling birthday cake. Do these challenges never end? :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'll be darned. HA! Now you are going to show this to your uncle right. Right?

Besides your writing science fiction. It doesn't have to exist yet. It's your world, I'm sure you can make it believable. Your uncle must have seen Star Trek?

Funny thing is he calls himself a big SF fan. It's just a reaction he has - anything he hears he has to discourage and make fun of. Didn't matter if I told him I wanted a Lagrange point station or one made out of Lego and cheese held up by butterflies.

Only thing is they don't want their station to be like my station. My station has murders on it... Lots of murders!

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Funny thing is he calls himself a big SF fan. It's just a reaction he has - anything he hears he has to discourage and make fun of. Didn't matter if I told him I wanted a Lagrange point station or one made out of Lego and cheese held up by butterflies.

Only thing is they don't want their station to be like my station. My station has murders on it... Lots of murders!

Ah, one of those. Probably couldn't string two words together. I think you mentioned him once before. Well next time he says something stupid just imagine him with pigeons picking cheesewiz off the top of his head. :D

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score

I like your station better! Who wants boring realism when you can have terror in the silence of spaaaaaace?

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh you guys, I'm suffering. Tomorrow we're supposed to get the first of back-to-back overnight guests :)eek: I love having guests, but back-to-back?! And I have no idea when the first set is due to arrive. It's a surprise, I guess?). Saturday is the boy's birthday party, here at the house, something like 60 people. That's in addition to the Easter kick-off, etc. I've been working on this weekend for weeks, even months.

The boy has a cold. Okay, fine. We can handle that. He should be better by Saturday, right?

The girl came home with the stomach flu today.

Please shoot me.

Back-to-back guests a birthday party with 60+ people, 2 sick kids...That's it, you're officially my hero.:Hail: (That is, unless you've actually shot the kids, as suggested by our bloody thirsty members.:D)

I also want shooting though - cannot get rid of this flu of mine, and it's now turned into one of those coughs that leaves all the muscles in your stomach sore. Heading out to the shop in a minute for comfort food, which will mostly consist of chocolate (hey, it's soft and easy on the sore throat...) but then I have to do my test on the new tour tomorrow. A few more tourists should be heading home with some nasty Czech bugs though, after doing my tour, I suppose I can cling to that thought for warmth....

What is it with all the shooting? Surely we can come up with a better way to kill off our sickly members?:evil

Hope you're feeling better, Zelenak.:e2flowers

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:HJ :Hug2: and for every one who needs a hug :Hug2:

I spent this morning talking to idiots on the phone. Real live living people with no brains. Some where in the conversations is a murder waiting to be plotted. For example, after going through all the security questions I eventually got one idiot to tell me why he had sent me a text asking me to contact him urgently.
"You haven't paid the bill for March." He said.
"That is because it is still February and you have not sent me the bill for March," I replied.

Pause.

Pause.

"Ah. Yes. Sorry. Bye." He hung up. Why is it idiots never come single store but in battalions?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Back-to-back guests a birthday party with 60+ people, 2 sick kids...That's it, you're officially my hero.:Hail: (That is, unless you've actually shot the kids, as suggested by our bloody thirsty members.:D)

We're on the road to recovery. The girl didn't actually have the stomach thing, she had a thing that mimicked the stomach thing and the strep thing and whatever. All I really heard was "she'll be fine in a day or so." Whew!

The giant bounce house (and I do mean giant) has been installed on our lawn, the groceries are bought, the gifts are ready. Let's do this thing. :box:

:Hug2:HJ :Hug2: and for every one who needs a hug :Hug2:

I spent this morning talking to idiots on the phone. Real live living people with no brains. Some where in the conversations is a murder waiting to be plotted. For example, after going through all the security questions I eventually got one idiot to tell me why he had sent me a text asking me to contact him urgently.
"That is because it is still February and you have not sent me the bill for March," I replied.

Pause.

Pause.

"Ah. Yes. Sorry. Bye." He hung up. Why is it idiots never come single store but in battalions?

:ROFL:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent this morning talking to idiots on the phone.

" Why is it idiots never come single store but in battalions?

*hands out sympathetic shoulder pats all round*

Option 1: You have to open up the handset on your phone and remove the little metal idiot-magnet.

Dispose of it carefully. (They tend to come back.):D

Option 2: Keep a large supply of chocolate beside the phone. (It doesn't keep the idiots at bay but it helps create a sublime indifference to them.) :D

HJ! Woo-hoo. Party on! We'll be here when it's all over and you need to put your feet up. :)

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
My baby is 7 today!

:cry:

Aww! They grow up so fast. I remember only yesterday your baby was only 6! ;)

I hope the chaotic madness lovely party of children, proceeds without killing you smoothly.

ETA:

Whatever service it is, dump them and go to the competitor. Clearly, they are in financial trouble. ;)

Last edited:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
GailD I would love to remove the idiot magnet - but it would be like putting a mouse in the wood pile - they would find another way back!
Thanks for the advice Doc. I don't think they are in financial trouble, just need to rethink their training programme. If they have one.

I am agonising over my WIP. Hard choice to make. hmph.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I managed a tour, just. My voice is totally going though. Not sure what to do as I can't just keep missing work, but doing tours evidently isn't helping. Going to try honey tomorrow, that's next on the list of folk remedies. Doubt if I'll work on the WIP tonight. Feel more like curling up somewhere warm.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Just a little heads up, time is running out (the 28th I think) to help make Ambrosia's poetry contest DREAMS, VISIONS & NIGHTMARES a success. In case you want to vote go here. Password citrus.

Back to your regularly scheduled variety discussion. :D

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka try warm whisky with a tiny splash of warm orange juice.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I survived. :e2thud:

Yes, but did the kids?:evil

Well I managed a tour, just. My voice is totally going though. Not sure what to do as I can't just keep missing work, but doing tours evidently isn't helping. Going to try honey tomorrow, that's next on the list of folk remedies. Doubt if I'll work on the WIP tonight. Feel more like curling up somewhere warm.

Might be better just to take a few days off, Zelenka and rest your voice. Don't stress about your WIP, you need to look after yourself first.

Hope you're feeling better soon.:Hug2:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
The champagne is just a gigglidisiac. The bubbles to the nose will make you giggle. Champagne on its own is not actually worth drinking anyway. ;)

After two months of talk, I finally uploaded my book to Smashwords last night.

Before I even picked up the free ebook ISBN, someone downloaded the free sample. An hour later they bought it. :D

I guess I am officially on the hook for the sequel now.

The fact that I sold a copy without even attempting any marketing is pretty cool, but I am sure each copy hereafter will cost me my pound of flesh.

Hopefully, by the end of the day, I'll have it posted in the Kindle store.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Go you Doc. Hope you celebrate with a bottle of Champagne :tongue