Is this cheap and dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of my WIP is taking place on a college campus.

Is it okay to invent a college, so that I can personalize the geography/history how I want and not have to bother with researching a preexisting school? Or is this amateurish and something that would immediately turn you (or an editor/agent/publisher) off?

Meshanks.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
First answer-yes

second answer-no-if it does then probably the book is junk and it does not matter if it is a real college or not. Not saying it is-junk I mean-just that that is my experience-oh and write well-the rest'll just take care of itself-you'd be surprised what a bit of good writing'll do for ya and how many doors it really can open!!!!

Reaction score
Amalgamate a collection of colleges and turn them into your one fictional school.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay to invent a college, so that I can personalize the geography/history how I want and not have to bother with researching a preexisting school?

Absolutely. Why ever not? If you wanted to you could use elements from real universities and combine them.

I instantly thought of Tom Sharpe´s Porterhouse Blue when I read your post.

Well, that´s my take on it anyway,
newmod

Mr. E

Registered
Reaction score

Is it okay to invent a college, so that I can personalize the geography/history how I want and not have to bother with researching a preexisting school? Or is this amateurish and something that would immediately turn you (or an editor/agent/publisher) off?

Meshanks.

I personally think that Lovecraft's "Miskatonic University" is one of the coolest places that never existed.

On a larger scale, didn't Scott Turow create an entire anonymous CITY for Presumed Innocent, et al?

So there's a precedent, for sure. I would just make sure there's a level of detail that makes it SEEM a real place.

Cheerio!

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Jane Smiley did just fine with Moo -- I tend to think invention allows for a lot more freedom. Unless there's something specific you want to get at with a real school's unique culture/setting/etc., I don't think you have to lose anything by creating a sufficiently detailed, three-dimensional school of your own.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. University created. If only it was this easy in real life, and I could skip the whole application process.

Thanks, guys!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Don't shy away from research. Do it well, and your setting can almost become another character. I'd use a real university. I prefer having a map based in reality and actual lore to add color. But hey, that's me.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I know, I know! But my boys are in college. Inquiring minds need to know.

NowCutThatOut!

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is set in a fictional high-school (in a fictional town) as well, since it's a pretty unusual story as it is. If I were going for pure realism I'd probably just use a pre-existing one.

Even with a totally made up place, you can still do a lot of research - I looked at some similar schools' websites from the same state to get some ideas.

Kristin Landon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinlandon.com
I'd invent a school. I like the freedom of being able to make up details as needed. No one can ever, ever tell you you got something wrong. And there are no legal ramifications. ("In 1942, an alcoholic chancellor renamed the field house for his mistress. . . .")

Thomas White

Registered
Reaction score
You're worried about inventing a fictional college? Mate, I don't think Hogwarts exists, and Harry Potter managed to shift a few copies. That about sums up my opinion.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
You're worried about inventing a fictional college? Mate, I don't think Hogwarts exists, and Harry Potter managed to shift a few copies. That about sums up my opinion.

O ye of little faith. Course it exists, next time your down Kings Cross give the wall a go. Make sure you got your letter though, they do horrible things to fare dodgers.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score

Meshanks.

Of course.

My novel takes place on a fictional campus. It is, as scarletpeaches said above, a sort of collection of a bunch of different colleges I've been to/taught at/attended.

And I like JamieFord's response: do your research. One of the things I was told by editors as the book was on submission was that the campus I had created was realistic and that the experience felt real.

It has to feel, I think, like a true experience even though the geography is made up.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Here are some examples of fictional unis/colleges from Wiki FYI.

Jordan College is a fictional college of the University of Oxford which appears in the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman

Empire State University (ESU) is a fictional university in the Marvel Comics Universe

The University of Edgestow is a fictional university which appears in the novel That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis

Streeling University, in The Foundation Series of science fiction novels by Isaac Asimov

Worthington University is a fictional university from the television series Dawson's Creek

Hudson University is a fictional university in New York City from the television series Law & Order and its spinoffs

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Donna Tartt's The Secret History is set on the (I believe) fictional campus of Hampden University in Vermont.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov

Worthington University is a fictional university from the televisionseries Dawson's Creek

Hudson University is a fictionaluniversity in New York City from the television series Law & Order and its spinoffs

Yeah, I knew TV shows do it all the time. Any good kid raised in the 90's went through a period of shock upon realizing there wasn't really a Penbrook University (Boy Meets World).

Thanks for the research! I'm feeling much less hack-y about this now.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I would say that it depends on your genre. If you're writing about anything that is supernatural, magical, fantastic, or out of the ordinary in any way, go for it. If, on the other hand, you are writing a contemporary/mainstream novel about characters who are supposed to be gritty and realistic, I'd use a real location. It will heighten the realism and believability.

Either way, I'd recommend taking a trip to a college campus and just walking around for a while. Pick up a campus map. Etc. A junior college will also do. There's bound to be one nearby wherever you are, right?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I would say that it depends on your genre. If you're writing about anything that is supernatural, magical, fantastic, or out of the ordinary in any way, go for it. If, on the other hand, you are writing a contemporary/mainstream novel about characters who are supposed to be gritty and realistic, I'd use a real location. It will heighten the realism and believability.

Either way, I'd recommend taking a trip to a college campus and just walking around for a while. Pick up a campus map. Etc. A junior college will also do. There's bound to be one nearby wherever you are, right?

My sister's a senior in high school this year, so I've been on lots of college visits. And my own are coming up, too, to refresh my memory. ;) Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.