Will I get my pants sued off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPLangsdorf

Registered
Reaction score
Libel is pretty straightforward. If you write something with the design of defaming someone or some entity, and it is false, then it's libel. Libel and slander both cannot be claimed if the statement in question is true.

I think celebrities are also not allowed to pull the slander/libel card. If you have a 'public life', you're assumed to accept public commentary.

But dropping names in text doesn't even come close to libel if you're just making references or having characters talk or even making jokes. Those aren't a big deal. If a large portion of your book revolves around an evil Bill Gates or something, then you're pushing the line. But a character exclaimed 'He has more money than Bill Gates!' is perfectly normal, as is 'His moral obligation follows the same path as Enron' or something.

Jokes are okay. Pop culture references are fine. A lot of stuff is fine.

And yeah, if it's not, an editor will tell you so.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for your further input.

Just to answer your questions:

No, I can't change the company names.

Monkey. Can you watch? -- I'll put it on You Tube for the free publicity to pay my legal bills!

JPLangsdorf. There's no malicious intent, no defamation, simply a stating of the facts that my research has turned up. While the companies concerned are doing nothing illegal, it could be claimed that it's unethical -- that's the point my character's trying to make. There's no direct comment on real companies, but they are mentioned on the same page, so it could be argued it casts them in a bad light. But, to the best of my knowledge, I'm not saying anything that isn't true or that hasn't been said in the mainstream media before (though I'm putting a different twist on it).

Thanks again,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.