How many self-published books have you bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've purchased both self-published and trade published e-books. I haven't purchased a paperback book in over a year. I snag a lot of freebies, too. I used to get most of my books from the library before I got an iPad.

Dreadful Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
I've bought a ton of self-published ebooks, and as a reader, I don't care if there's a publisher's name on it or not. I don't actively seek out free reads. If something in one of my favourite stores is on sale and it looks like a good read, then I'll download it, but I don't fill up my Kobo with free books.

All I want is a good story that's been edited and correctly formatted. I've noticed authors who self-published their books pay more attention to formatting than some of the trade publishers.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Never bought an e-book, as I have no reader or plans to get one.
No free books, although I've bought books at a nominal cost from the library sale tables if they look interesting. I get 'free' from the library, a major source of 'books I want to buy'.
I buy 50 - 100 books a years. Chiefly bricks-and-mortar.
I've bought 4 self-published books, ever, that I know of. Two were fiction, I know the authors, knew what they were about, thought I would like them, and I did. Two were non-fiction (my real reading preference). One was well-designed and produced, and thoroughly described and explained a new technique for a craft that I was interested in (with excellent, step-by-step colour illustrations). The other was a piece of junk, that took a simple concept, added no new information, was sloppily put together, and had badly hand-drawn (scrawled, really) pattern pieces that would have to be re-drawn to be useable. If I could have seen a sample, I wouldn't have touched it.

That to my mind, is what a self-published 'review' site needs: mandatory 'Look Inside' feature, and not Amazon's first few pages, that a publisher can game by using the copyright page, and title page as half of their quota.
I don't know if Amazon charges for 'Look Inside', but it should be mandatory with a listing:
A good big chunk of actual text, the table of contents, a sample of any illustrations, and the index/bibliography (if any). A reasonable sample and I don't need to read other people's opinions.
(I read reviews for 'spoilers', actual information on the plot. I assume that the rest is subjective nonsense.)

Last edited:

Asha Leu

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, none. Then again, I buy almost all of my books from brick and mortar bookstores. The majority of the (very few) e-books I purchase tend to be issues of literary magazines I'm interested in submitting work to.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have bought 50 to 100, in exactly the same way that I buy non-self-published books and from largely the same places.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
That to my mind, is what a self-published 'review' site needs: mandatory 'Look Inside' feature, and not Amazon's first few pages, that a publisher can game by using the copyright page, and title page as half of their quota.
I don't know if Amazon charges for 'Look Inside', but it should be mandatory with a listing:
A good big chunk of actual text, the table of contents, a sample of any illustrations, and the index/bibliography (if any). A reasonable sample and I don't need to read other people's opinions.
(I read reviews for 'spoilers', actual information on the plot. I assume that the rest is subjective nonsense.)

Amazon doesn't charge for the see inside feature and a smart self-publisher will lay out the book so as much of the actual story (or content for nonfiction) is up front. Consumers are figuring out they need to read the first chapters to get a feel for the book.

lukedc

Registered
Reaction score
There are already plenty of places where one can buy self-published books; and plenty of places which review them. I don't think the process could be made any easier. The only value in developing a new site would be, I think, if something new could be added to the mix; and to be honest, I can't think of what that might be.

That is a good point you make. I am thinking of a site that will be different from the current sites. I know that their are many sites so I'm going to try to make it different.

I am only going to spend a few dollars making it, so even if it completely does not work, I won't lose anything besides time, but I will learn more about programming, which is a goal of mine.

I am still thinking about it, but if I develop the site, I'll pose it here.

thank you also to the other people here.

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
From what i have read, most of you don't buy many self-published books, and that is probably the main problem with self-publishing, that people won't buy your books!

You're making a rather large assumption that no one is buying self-published books. While it's true that in general most self-published authors won't sell hundreds of thousands of books, I'm pretty darn happy to have sold almost 4,000 e-books in the past eight months.

I almost get the feeling you are attempting to use self-published authors to make money for yourself. I sincerely hope that is not the case. Please do your homework before creating a website and offering/promising things you may not be able to deliver.

We've had quite a few folks sliding in and then quickly exiting with one plan or another under the guise of "helping" self-published authors. I think I speak for many of us when I say we are not "playing" at writing. We work hard to create a book worthy of earning a readers confidence. We may not always succeed, but that is the goal.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I am only going to spend a few dollars making it, so even if it completely does not work, I won't lose anything besides time, but I will learn more about programming, which is a goal of mine.

This is an excellent business plan to ensure failure.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I have bought very few self-published books, since most of them aren't available in paperback. I won't pay for a ebook, but I have discovered self-published authors from reading free samples of their work on my Kindle app.

I'd gladly pay $10 for a paperbook over a $2.99 ebook if I know I will love it.

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
From what i have read, most of you don't buy many self-published books, and that is probably the main problem with self-publishing, that people won't buy your books!

Haha, yeah, this is a pretty big assumption based off of one thread on one forum. If you go to Amazon and look at some of the top 100 bestsellers lists, it's clear that *someone* is buying self-published books (and downloading the many, many free ones).

As for me, the only self-published looks I've bought have been ebooks, mostly on Amazon because I have a Kindle. I don't want to sort through all my Digital Orders and I don't feel like going to fetch my Kindle, but I'm going to assume I've bought about 25 self-pubbed books and dowloaded for free (or won in giveaways) about twice as much. I've probably read half of all of those. Overall, I read more traditionally published books, but I buy more self-pubbed books because I get the former from libraries.

Why I bought them -- a mix of cover, blurb, sample, and reviews. Some of them were bought because I knew the author from a writing forum or something and the book was only 99 cents, so I'd say, 'Why not?' A few books are from the kind of authors that I'll buy anything from (mainly Samantha Young and Susan Bischoff).

I just wanted to answer to talk about myself :D but I agree with what others have said about your website. . .there's no real reason for self-published authors to join your website unless you have something new. And I especially agree with merrihiatt on what she says about trying to make money off of writers. Not cool if that's the case.

lukedc

Registered
Reaction score
You're making a rather large assumption that no one is buying self-published books. While it's true that in general most self-published authors won't sell hundreds of thousands of books, I'm pretty darn happy to have sold almost 4,000 e-books in the past eight months.

I almost get the feeling you are attempting to use self-published authors to make money for yourself. I sincerely hope that is not the case. Please do your homework before creating a website and offering/promising things you may not be able to deliver.

We've had quite a few folks sliding in and then quickly exiting with one plan or another under the guise of "helping" self-published authors. I think I speak for many of us when I say we are not "playing" at writing. We work hard to create a book worthy of earning a readers confidence. We may not always succeed, but that is the goal.

My sentence that you quoted did sound rude and I am sorry if I have offended you. Re-reading it, it sounds like I am trying to sell something and trying to insult self-published authors, but I did not intend it to sound like that or anything. I am not trying to demean self-publishers or any such thing, I just wanted to get a better understanding of how it works. I could not write a book even if I was paid to do so, and it must have taken a lot of talent and work to write 21 books and sell so many copies!

JustJas

Registered
Reaction score
It is true that people out there are buying self-published books, but many don't seem to actually realize it. I've lost count of the number of comments I've come across in reviews where people complain about the editing and wonder how the publisher could ever have released a book in such a poor state! Makes me wonder if the sale of self-published books will drop when the majority of people learn to tell the difference. On the positive side, it may force self-publishers to lift their game which can only be a good thing.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
My sentence that you quoted did sound rude and I am sorry if I have offended you. Re-reading it, it sounds like I am trying to sell something and trying to insult self-published authors, but I did not intend it to sound like that or anything. I am not trying to demean self-publishers or any such thing, I just wanted to get a better understanding of how it works. I could not write a book even if I was paid to do so, and it must have taken a lot of talent and work to write 21 books and sell so many copies!

Thanks for your response. I am glad to hear your intention and appreciate you taking the time to clarify.

Writing is a labor of love. :D I'd do it whether I got paid for it or not.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought several self-published books, some winners, some losers. (Just like in the "real" publishing world.) I like to use my Kindle for reading when possible and I prefer to pay $4.99 or less.

That doesn't mean I'm not buying paperback books, though. If you're willing to buy used copies on Amazon, you'll find hundreds of books for less than a buck (plus shipping). My last three or four purchases ran a penny plus shipping but their Kindle equivalents were $9.99 and up.

lukedc

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I am glad to hear your intention and appreciate you taking the time to clarify.

Writing is a labor of love. :D I'd do it whether I got paid for it or not.
I'm glad that I could clarify. you must be very creative to write so many books.
I think that writing must be fun because it allows you to express your creativity.

Richard_Wright

Registered
Reaction score
Another book-review blog wouldn't be a bad thing.

But it should review all classes of books, self-published beside (and to the same standards as) commercially published books.

This. I doubt that there's a reader in the world with a special interest in browsing solely self-published books. Books be books, however they're published. As self-published books are widely available through known and trusted distributors like Amazon and Smashwords, why would anybody need to go anywhere else?

Not a criticism - just wondering whether it's a question you've answered for yourself.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In the end, books is books.

From the reader's point of view there is no good reason to distinguish self- from third-party published in any way except in the case of readers who choose to avoid the former.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Not a lot...but I have to admit--

I once swore I would NEVER buy a SP book. I swear I'll never do a lot of things. I was SCREAMING the loudest that I would never buy an ebook, and now I buy more than anybody I know.

So...there is truth in the saying NEVER SAY NEVER.

I finished a self-pubbed YA book recently called WHAT A BOY WANTS by NYRAE DAWN. It was excellent. She restored my faith in SP...and I am giving them a go on a case by case basis. I don't buy a lot...but I have bought 4 or 6 this past year.

robertbevan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I swear I'll never do a lot of things. I was SCREAMING the loudest that I would never buy an ebook,

perhaps you have some issues? this sort of thing seems like it should be a less passionate decision. when screaming comes into the equation...

Marceline

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever bought a self-published book, but I've bought a number of titles from small indie publishers. I like weird horror, and there are a number of small publishers that really cater to my tastes. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the publisher if I wasn't a writer who was curious about that sort of thing.

I have downloaded some self-published short story collections for free, but none of them have really grabbed me.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I don't believe I've ever even seen a self-published book, much less bought one.
You've never seen Dan Poynter's Self-publishing Manual? Or the Rosses' book on self-publishing?

Both are self-published.

Interesting omission for a denizen of self-publishing threads.

--Ken

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
perhaps you have some issues? this sort of thing seems like it should be a less passionate decision. when screaming comes into the equation...

Issues? My good man, I'll have you know I'm downright crazy. Issues! Issues are too tiny to contain the likes of me!

lukedc

Registered
Reaction score
There are already plenty of places where one can buy self-published books; and plenty of places which review them. I don't think the process could be made any easier. The only value in developing a new site would be, I think, if something new could be added to the mix; and to be honest, I can't think of what that might be.

Yes, you are right.

I am thinking of a site where people pay a subscription for a week or a month. Then, they can download as many books as they want to. I am just thinking that when people can download a book for no charge, they are more likely to discover new or less known authors. From what I have read a problem is that sometimes people are reluctant to spend money on books they are unsure about, so this site would kind of solve that.

I am thinking that the money the site makes would be divided among the authors. The authors would be paid based on how many downloads they got compared to the total. So, if your book got 100 downloads a month, and the total downloads was 1000, you would get 10% of the total money the site makes that month. A problem here is that "catchy" looking books would get too many downloads, even if they are not the best ones, and so the author would get disproportionate earnings. To solve this, I am thinking that maybe the book can be divided into 3 o4 4 parts, so that if the part part is good, people would download the second part.

By biggest problem is, will authors publish books on this site? I don't know. If authors publish books, getting members would not be so hard, in my opinion, because people could most likely find a few books that they like. But i am not sure if writers would use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.