A Registration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm excited to be here and can't wait to dig in!

I have a question, though. A friend of mine and I registered for this site at the same time. (She's written a children's book and wanted to register to learn how to go about pursuing publication.)

We both waited for our accounts to be activated and, mine thankfully was. My friend, on the other hand, received a message that she didn't meet the registration requirements and her registration was deleted.

What would cause that to happen? She's not a troll or a spammer. She's an adult and her screen name wasn't inappropriate. The only information required for registration was a birthdate, choosing a screen name, a password and agreeing to the terms of service. We both did that but she was denied.

May I ask why that would happen?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
There are a couple of reasons it might happen. Occasionally, a spammer will spoof a legitimate IP, for example, which will get the account refused -- or it may be that she'd previously registered an account and didn't remember, or someone else at the same IP had registered an account (this happens with people on campuses, sometimes). But since generally a second account isn't allowed without pre-approval, it might be denied as a second account registration.

If you'll have her just email me at macallister4modstuff (AT) gmail.com I can watch for her registration so I can clear her through the system manually. :)

And welcome to AW!

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I knew there had to be good reasons why that might happen. It's sad that a few who abuse the system make it difficult for the rest.

I'll forward your response to her. Thank you again. (I'm knee deep in sticky posts and using the search feature myself. Those two things answer at least 95% of a person's questions, which is great. It leaves the boards open for fresh new conversations.)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
plain and simple, we already like you enormously. (Just so's you know!) Reading the stickies is an education in itself--one that a lot of newcomers skip. But look how smart you are, huh?

Maryn, pleased to meet you

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for making me smile, Maryn. That's the sweetest welcome I think I've ever received.

I just thought reading the stickies and using the search feature, especially when you're new, was plain old common sense. No sense wasting space on what's already been discussed. Bandwidth, I understand, is expensive and membership is free. It's the least a newbie can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.