How to post a picture in a post (answer: [IMG]http://url/filename.jpg[/IMG] )

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me or direct me to the explanation of how to put a picture into a post? I've been struggling with the insert image thingy and I can't get it to work.

Thank you,

c.e.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Try this:

Use a free photo hosting site like Photobucket

You can upload images from your computer or the web onto it. Then, it allows you to copy your image as a url link, and you can post it as a link in your post just like you would a link to an article, for example.

It's quite user friendly.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gah, I must be an idiot. I have the image on photobucket, but when I try to insert the URL, no picture comes up in my post preview.

Don't use the URL; click on the LAST tag, the one that says IMAGE; then paste it in your post. :)

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
OK,

Pat - I can't find any image tag except the one that asks you to insert a URL.

Dolores - I get a box thingy in my editing box, but the preview screen is totally blank.

rugcat - I will PM you.

I am fairly lame with these things. Sorry.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I was clicking on the image tag FIRST, then trying to insert the URL. If I paste the URL first, then click on the image tag, it WORKS!! Thank you so much, everyone! Reps for all.

:)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK,

Pat - I can't find any image tag except the one that asks you to insert a URL.

Dolores - I get a box thingy in my editing box, but the preview screen is totally blank.

rugcat - I will PM you.

I am fairly lame with these things. Sorry.

Okay, here's my picture from Photobucket...

| http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j...j240/pb10220/TRAVISGRADUATIONPORTRAITS007.jpg | http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/pb10220/?action=view&current=TRAVISGRADUATIONPORTRAITS007.jpg | |
TRAVISGRA...TS007.jpg
Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code <-------Click on this. It will say "copied". Then go to your post and paste (control-V) where you want it. It should post your picture. (You don't have to mess with attachments this way.)

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This question pops up regularly, not surprisingly there are newer threads, e.g.

What happened to attachments/uploads? / Inserting an image into your post
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108361

but the problem is there are so many darn stickies in FAQ that no one's going to notice one more.

Oddly enough this isn't in the board FAQ menu (the link beside User CP) or if it is, I can't see it...

-Derek

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
another option would be the newbie forum. But I would notice. I don't think it would go unnoticed. I get asked regularly. I explain, but everyone is different and some people need visuals or don't know what a url is or what have you. It would be nice if we had somewhere to point them instead of clogging up the board with new threads asking the same question, don't you think?

I Pmed someone today, and explained that you need a URL and to paste in between image tags , etc. and he funnily replied "I read your post but to me it read like this: You need ZZZZ and to paste it between ZZZ ZZZZ etc."

Sass- who has explained this often.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ad74c9d6.jpg

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
128687747372752018.jpg

just want to know if it works...
WOOHOO!!!!!!1 thanks!

Last edited:

observer1

Profile Pic Problem

I am having trouble getting my profile pic to appear. After I uploaded it (used the box that says 'Browse" - found my jpeg in my computer and opened it), and click 'save changes' - it reads file failed. I have tried numerous jpegs. Any suggestions?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting my profile pic to appear. After I uploaded it (used the box that says 'Browse" - found my jpeg in my computer and opened it), and click 'save changes' - it reads file failed. I have tried numerous jpegs. Any suggestions?
You can't upload a custom avatar on AW until you have a minimum of 50 posts I'm afraid. So, get posting and before long you can get one of your own :) .

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I got a PM from someone here at AW asking me how to post a hyperlink. I tried to answer with a PM that included images, but it seems that perhaps PM's do not permit images. So here is my answer to that poster. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I wasnt sure where else to put it.

--PD

------------------------------------------

Okay. Let's post a link.

Here's a link to the "Google Home Page" with all the www stuff.

http://www.google.com/

But instead of making it look like www, we want to make it look like a word, and the word is going to be made by us into a "hyperlink" which means it will become the color blue, and will also be "clickable."

#1) I want you to "highlight" the entire www-thing for the Google home page, and then do a "copy-paste" of what you have just highlighted. That way the Google home page is now on your clipboard.

#2) Go inside of any given AW thread that you feel like. (And rememebr that your clipboard currently has the Google home page on it -- don't "drop" the clipboard!)

#3) Hit either the "Quote" button of an existing post, or else scroll to the bottom and hit the "Post Reply" button. Either button works. (And rememebr that your clipboard currently has the Google home page on it -- don't "drop" the clipboard!)

Here's the "Quote" button =
quote.gif

or, if you prefer
Here's the "Post Reply" button =
reply.gif

That action will open up a "reply box." And the "reply box" will have a rather complex tool bar across the top.

#4) Type out the following sentence inside the "reply box":

"This is the Google home page."

#5) Now I want you to highlight JUST the word "Google" which you typed a moment ago (don't highlight anything else).

#6) Next, look for THIS icon among the many small tools found in the tool box, and click it.

createlink.gif

And that click will cause a small "pop-up box" to appear. And the small pop-up box has a single text box in it. MAKE SURE THAT AFTER THAT SMALL TEXT-BOX APPEARS, THAT THE WORD "Google" IS STILL HIGHLIGHTED! IF THE WORD "Google" IS NO LONGER HIGHLIGHTED, YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE SMALL TEXT-BOX GO AWAY AND GO BACK TO "STEP #5" AGAIN!

#7) Now I want you place your curser into the text-box of that small pop-up box.

#8) You will see the following characters inside of that text box:

"http://"

ERASE THOSE CHARACTERS IN THEIR ENTIRETY!!

#9) Next you need to PASTE the contents of your clipboard into that text box. (This is done by hitting the dual key-code of "Ctrl" and "v".)

#10) Hit the "OK" button of the small pop-up box.

You now have a link. :)

And the link SHOULD look exactly like this:

This is the Google home page.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn has a nice post about posting pics. 'tis very thorough.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3577690&postcount=56784
I'm not the only one who struggles with things technical, so I'm glad to share what little I've mastered. (I've had a couple requests.)

Copy and Paste this for future reference, if it makes sense to you.

1) Find an image you like on the internet (and get permission to use it if it's not in the public domain) or use an image of your own.

2) Save it to your computer. On the web, right-clicking your mouse on the image should pop up a menu, one of the choices being "Save Image As..." or something close. Save it in a place you can find it. For pictures you don't want to keep indefinitely, just use to make a joke or a point, you can create a "C:\TempCrap" directory and delete everything in there once a week or so without having to check what's in it.

3) Go to ImageShack [that’s imageshack.us, NOT imageshack.com] and click the "Choose" button there. A window will pop up in which you can navigate/browse your own hard drive. Click that and find the place where you stored your image. Select your image, then click OKAY or OPEN or whatever your operating system tells you when you're on the right track.

The image's location on your hard drive will now be shown in the text box to the left of that "Choose" button.

4) Click the "Host it!" button at ImageShack. Your computer will upload the image to their server. It's free and you do not need to register. If it's a small image, go to step 5. If it's a large image, skip ahead to step 6.

5) a) If it's a small image you'll be brought to a page with a bunch of code on it. Select the code on the line that reads "Direct link to image" and copy it to your computer's clipboard using CTRL-C.

b) In your AW message, type this:

Replace "PASTECODEHERE" with the code you copied in the last step. Use CTRL-V, which pastes the content on your computer clipboard.

c) You're done.

6) a) If it's a large image you'll be brought to a page with a bunch of code on it, and a small thumbnail version of your image. Select the code on the line that reads "Thumbnail for forums (1)" and copy it to your clipboard using CTRL-C.

b) In your AW message, paste the code you just copied into your message using CTRL-V. Like this:

c) When you post, you'll see a thumbnail image in your message that people can click on to see a larger version if they want. The little black bar at the bottom shows how big the full-sized version is. People with slow connections won't have to download the big image unless they want to.

I don't usually post thumbnails, although I should, since it saves AW's bandwidth. I prefer resizing my image for use on AW first, so I have two copies, a full-sized original and a scaled-down (and sometimes cropped) one I'll post here.

If these instructions made sense to you, why not post some innocuous image in this thread for practice?

Maryn, who will now post a thumbnail
hmmm...her thumbnail didn't copy. SO you gotta go to the linky to see it in all its glory. And while you are there check out the hot tub. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.