Anyone ever taken any creative writing courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
The course I signed up for is at a local community college. I figured, worse case scenario I'll be out $29. Best case, I'll be as brilliant as ya'll! *wink*

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I've taken many classes (in college) and workshops through a local foundation, and have had good experiences. Being required to turn in 3 poems per week or one story per week made me produce more than I thought I'd be able to. I like writing from prompts because I then come up with something that surprises me.

I have heard stories about classes or groups ruined by people with ridiculous egos or attention seeking commentaries, but have been lucky, and experienced little of that myself.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
For $29 you can't really go wrong. Even if the class itself is awful, worse case you'll probably meet an interesting person or two.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I only took one creative writing course in undergrad but did lots of writing otherwise for my Literature degree in general...but I agree with most here, any class that has you writing or thinking is not a waste in my opinion. My only suggestion would be to make sure you balance it with some reading...that's as important to me as writing everyday...read something too to keep your mind turning and your perspective fresh :)

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Milly, I'm an avid reader...bordering an addiction! The class was "alright". I would've preferred to pay less, as the only thing I really go out of it was a list of books that would benefit me in the long run. It might have been better but there were two ladies that wouldn't shut the hell up! Half of what they discussed had nothing to do with what we were discussing!

wrangler

Dearest Strumpets and Knaves:
Registered
Reaction score
i may benefit from taking one

Status
Not open for further replies.