Fiction versus reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Or as I said to a friend who just didn't 'get it': "Something exists that wasn't here before I came."

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fiction explores reality better than reality itself allows.

And, more importantly, fiction allows people to look at the ugly side of themselves and their culture without consciously taking offense and, thus, refusing to see the truth in the story.

wrangler

Dearest Strumpets and Knaves:
Registered
Reaction score
And, more importantly, fiction allows people to look at the ugly side of themselves and their culture without consciously taking offense and, thus, refusing to see the truth in the story.

which is really quite sad. for ages people sat around fires in circles listening to stories in order to "see" themselves.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps fiction also allows young adults/adults to receive the gift of children - being able to consider a new situation without bias, like a blank slate - presented through a packaging that takes people away from the familiar.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Money, pure and simple. I do enjoy writing, but not enough to ever write for free.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
It's not by any means the only reason that I write, but I know that one of the reasons I'm drawn to write romances is that I feel pained by the lack of romance in my own life. It would be easy to imagine writing a piece of fiction as being like casting a magic spell - that writing about a character finding love might somehow magically bring love into my own life. I don't actually believe it works that way, but it's a tempting thought.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I feel just the other way, actually. I find non-fiction way more interesting both to write and to read - real life to me beats most fictional accounts.
Maybe my imagination just really sucks - that's possible too :tongue

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
I feel just the other way, actually. I find non-fiction way more interesting both to write and to read - real life to me beats most fictional accounts.
Maybe my imagination just really sucks - that's possible too :tongue

Hi Bushrat,

I'm curious, what kind of non fiction do you write?
I'd agree reality beats fiction in many cases, but like to blend both.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Bushrat,

I'm curious, what kind of non fiction do you write?
I'd agree reality beats fiction in many cases, but like to blend both.

Mostly outdoorsy stuff - about people living out in the bush, kayaking and hiking trips in far-flung places, wildlife stories. There are a lot of eccentric and weird people up here (the Yukon) and the stuff they've done is way cooler than anything I could ever dream up...

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
With true stories you have to find the tales that explore the questions you want to explore. With fiction you can craft tales to explore exactly what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.