Vote Democratic

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That's what drove me most crazy, seeing Rosie on the view. She would incessantly say, "we live in a democracy!" The hell we do!

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. " -Thomas Jefferson

Anyway, to be pedantic, if the sticker had intended to recommend that we vote in a democratic manner--as if we were in a democracy, which we aren't--then it would've used proper adverbial inflection and said, "Vote Democratically".

Or are adverbs now passe?
I was going to say that I usually vote for representatives rather than issues (because I'm generally given choices between possible representatives), so a bumper sticker that describes what I do might say "Vote representative republically" or something else equally odd-sounding.

I've posted on this "democracy" thing many times myself, and have written about being disturbed by the slippery meaning of this word years ago.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I recently saw a bumper sticker that read: "I am a working mother." If you're a mother you're working 24/7. That definitely is redundant.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
America is a democracy that is a constitutional republic. I don't see the contradiction and don't really understand this objection I see all over the internet. Australia is a democracy that is a constitutional monarchy. Democracy isn't a title, it's a descriptor.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, this generally ignorant foreigner is going to go out on a limb and suggest the bumper sticker meant "Vote Democratic [Party]". Maybe I'm just retarded, but doesn't that make more sense than some poorly worded exhortation to exercise your right to vote?

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Leave it to the men to make motherhood less than what it is!
:)

Ha ha, I have mountains of respect for mothers.

It's just not a 24/7 job and it's not as hard as a lot of moms like to make it sound. There's hard days and hard moments, but most of the time raising a kid isn't that bad.

*flame suit on* Commence the verbal lashings now! :tongue

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Hey guys, this generally ignorant foreigner is going to go out on a limb and suggest the bumper sticker meant "Vote Democratic [Party]". Maybe I'm just retarded, but doesn't that make more sense than some poorly worded exhortation to exercise your right to vote?

*ponders that a moment*

Hmm.

You know what?

I was being a smartass. Didn't think that needed to be explained.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score

It's just not a 24/7 job and it's not as hard as a lot of moms like to make it sound. There's hard days and hard moments, but most of the time raising a kid isn't that bad.

*flame suit on* Commence the verbal lashings now! :tongue
It is a 24/7 job. That doesn't mean it has to be a difficult job every hour during the day, but being a mom is work. It requires mental, physical, and emotional energy, and although I may sleep at night, I am still 'on call'.

Captshady - There are loosers in EVERY job.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

No, it isn't that bad, but its still a job, it still requires vigilence, responsibilities, hard work, and sacrifice. Especially if you want to raise a decent human being and not just raise an animal.

I just get a little miffed when people seem to think raising children is only a mother's responsibility or that somehow women naturally work harder at it then men.

The stereotype of Ward Cleaver sitting in his study and only interacting with the kids when they break something is just that, a stereotype.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
It is a 24/7 job. That doesn't mean it has to be a difficult job every hour during the day, but being a mom is work. It requires mental, physical, and emotional energy, and although I may sleep at night, I am still 'on call'.

Captshady - There are loosers in EVERY job.

If you're "on call" 24-7, then you married a loser.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I was going to multiquote this, but it's way too many quotes.

Isn't it amazing how complacent men are about motherhood? Wouldn't it have been possible, just for once, for Susie to make a nice comment about mothers and not be dogpiled by men with bitterness issues? Jesus Christ. If you don't have any respect for the women you impregnated--who consequently wised up and left--then at least show respect for your own mothers or the lady who made the comment.

The greatest thing about making an ass of yourself is how easily the asshat fits on your head after you do it. Enjoy your haberdashery, gentlemen.

Good for you, Susie. Good for you Turkey. And especially good for you Ed.

Carry on.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what does it mean if a mother is not on call for every second of every minute of every day of every week of every month of every year she's raising her children? Somebody should call CPS?