If you get 6-digit advance, would you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
High six figures? Close to 7 figures? No.
Low six figures? Close to 5 figures? Hell no.

Why not? I would like having a sort of a daily routine to keep my blood pumping.

But apart from that, a high six figure contract for a first book would be a dream come true.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
If you get 6-digit advance, would you... call the publisher and ask if they made a mistake.

But quit my job? No. I work for the Government. Great benefits. And that's where I do my writing. I know I'm not disciplined enough to write at home.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Absolutely. I'm part-time secondary income for our family, and a six-figure advance is well above what I make in a year. I'd quit instantly and invest the extra time in making sure my next book was worth just as much.

Of course, if you mean quitting my REAL job, which is "Mom," the answer is no. :)

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
No, I like my job. Also, life experience helps me write.

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
No way. Presuming we talking $100k, that's just over two years of my current salary. I'd use it to finish paying my debts, buy a new car, fluff up my Roth IRA and stock investments, and get my emergency fund fully loaded. I seriously doubt they go above that, but if it did, any extra money would pay down my mortgage or do renos. And of course, 10% of all advances, just like all "unexpected" money goes to fun :)

AiryBri

Registered
Reaction score
I don't trust my writing enough yet, so for now, no I wouldn't quit my job.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely...not.

Work. Earn. Invest. Write solely to get these f'ing voices out of my head. Submit. Maybe get published. Keep writing.

Prioritized in order.

Lyx

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
What if you quit your job so that you can focus on your writing career and write a better next book?
Then be prepared for a world of hurt. Unless you're in a financial position to do so, don't. Even still, don't.

Pouring all your energy into one thing is never a healthy endeavor. It's obsessive. Could you be the one in a million who makes it? I suppose, but it's highly unlikely.

Dream, just sprinkle in realism now and then.

Lyx

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Absolutely. Fresh out of university with no kids, no mortgage, nothing but student loans and rent? I could live off the remains of £100k (minus agent's cut and income tax) for years. If and when the money runs out, it'll be time to start looking for a day job.

Change that pound sign to Canadian dollars and there's my answer.

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
I'd invest a chunk of that six-figure to start my own little business.... then I'd have steady income, a job a love, AND more time to write!

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what lifestyle your living.

For me as a student it would solve all my worries about financing a PhD. But I have been living on £10,000 a year since 2007.

What it would mean, is the end to the demeaning student jobs. But it would still be a means to an end. As soon as I was in my second year of my PhD, I would want to take up a post of teaching undergrads.

Same here, pretty much (except I'm not at a PhD level). If I were to get a huge advance right now, it'd free me up a lot to pay for school and not have to worry as much about temporary, crappy part-time jobs. And that would be sweet, definitely.

But I'm getting my degree in part because I'd really like a cool career. I'm not giving that up, especially since there's no way I could make writing into a viable career and would run out of the advance eventually.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Hells no. I'd pay off the rest of my college loan debt and buy myself some decent health insurance, but I would not quit my job, no.

If we're in the low numbers, that would about cover it.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Yeah, you people must have amazing jobs. I would quit for a five figure option. For a low six against whatever*? Are you serious? I would mail my badge in.
The way you have to look at it is, every $30k they pay you is a year's minimum pay in the real world. Over $100k means four years to live as a professional writer - not luxuriously, but still. If you're not jumping on that, I wouldn't be at fault for wondering how seriously you take this racket. Would I?

(*screenplay lingo=$1# against $2#, one being the advance, two being the purchase price if the screenplay is filmed. The option is an advance on the advance, typically 10 percent. :D)

Last edited:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
A high six figure would make me a millionaire several times over in my country. :D

But I can't quite the day job - I homeschool my kids.

I would be able to pay off all our debt and buy that house down the road that I like. Cash. it would be kinda amazing.
hahaha

*dreams*

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
The way you have to look at it is, every $30k they pay you is a year's minimum pay in the real world. Over $100k means four years to live as a professional writer - not luxuriously, but still. If you're not jumping on that, I wouldn't be at fault for wondering how seriously you take this racket. Would I?

Yes, you would. Just because some people (incidentally, myself included) can live on $30K per year doesn't mean everyone can.

Not every writer has only him- or herself to look after. Some writers have kids -- sometimes even disabled kids. Some writers have to support their elderly parents. Some writers don't have spouses with job-provided health insurance. Some writers have health conditions that require expensive insurance AND still have to pay large monthly health care bills. Some writers have mortgages.

Have you looked at the cost of private insurance? Do you realise that when you're self-employed, the percentage of your taxes goes up to make up the difference an employer typically contributes?

Hell, in much of Southern California, $30K is hardly a living wage for a single person with their own apartment, even if they don't have to pay more than a couple hundred dollars a month for their work insurance. $1,000/mo for rent on a small apartment in a modest neighbourhood, $1,000/mo for insurance, that leaves $500/mo for taxes, food, utilities, transport, and, well, everything else.

That doesn't even get into the fact that some people actually LIKE their jobs. Like me.

Do you really think that a writer must sell their house and rent a room in someone else's, give up health insurance, stop saving for retirement, lower a lifestyle to which they've become accustomed and that feeds their creativity, stop saving for their children's university years, give up a fulfilling job they actually enjoy, and so on to be 'taken seriously'?

If so, you need to rethink.

Not all writers want to live the life of the poor artist in the garret. You ought not judge others for having different priorities from yours.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you would. Just because some people (incidentally, myself included) can live on $30K per year doesn't mean everyone can.

Well, and even if you technically could, doesn't always mean you'd want to. And while money isn't everything by any means, I don't think there's any shame in earning and using it.

There are a lot of things, little and big, that I can technically live without but that I've decided are important to me. Like my education, getting my teeth fixed, and being able to go to a movie now and then.

Things like this cost money, but they improve my quality of life.

Not to mention financial security. I'd love to know that if I live to be 90, I'll hopefully have some money to live on and take care of any needs I might have.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

Well, and even if you technically could, doesn't always mean you'd want to. And while money isn't everything by any means, I don't think there's any shame in earning and using it.

Oh, definitely agreed! I wouldn't choose to live on that amount of money...I just could if I had to.

And part of the reason I could is that I've used all my spare cash over the past four or five years to pay down my mortgage, so that what's left is a miniscule monthly payment and the entirety could be paid off tomorrow out of savings if I needed to. :D

I didn't get to this point by living on $30K! It's called planning ahead...and being able to afford to do it, which not everyone can.

Status
Not open for further replies.