Too Obscure?

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
So the Alaric novel was getting a bit out of hand, and I've decided to set it aside to revisit later. I still think the story is there, I just can't quite find a take on the ending that I'm happy with.

While I let it stew, I'm moving on to another story I've had my eye on for some time - that of Belisarius.

But my worry is that I was already pushing it with Alaric, and that a novel about Belisarius would be too obscure to have much chance of getting published. But then, my creeping cynicism also tells me that any novel about Rome that doesn't feature Caesar, Cicero, Augustus or some legendary enemy like Attila is probably too obscure for most agents, yet I know that's not the case.

Any thoughts?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The truth is, who knows? There is always hope for an interesting story, well told.

While the historical figure was not unknown, who would have thought someone could make a bestseller out of a biography of John Adams as David McCullough did.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
If you put aside the fact that a lot of people have never heard of Belisarius, what will count is if you can make the character come alive and write a cracking good story.

After all, fiction is composed of unknown characters, but do we care if the story is great?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
If...

you are really passionately interested in the character and can create a corking good tale then go ahead.

I've just interviewed Ann Thwaite, who wrote the wonderful A.A.Milne biography plus several other prize winning ones. We had a great moan about the state of publishing and her top tip for writers was that 'one should be deeply interested' in the character. That's her polite way of saying be in love with! (Amusingly her advice now to a youngster who wants to write is: DONT.)

On top of which come Maeve Haran's comment from Judith Spellman's monthly interview: ask yourself why you are writing this? The answer should be because you care about the character and passionately want to tell hir story.

Maeve Haran wrote that extraordinary book about John Donne's wife - 'The Lady and the Poet.'

So if that's how you feel, Doogs, get cracking.

Phaedo

a non sequitur
Registered
Reaction score
That's her polite way of saying be in love with! (Amusingly her advice now to a youngster who wants to write is: DONT.)
Great encouragement there, pdr.
Please, could you clarify on the latter though? Who does she mean by "youngsters"? The beginners or just young people? And "DON'T" - means they shouldn't be in love with the character or they shouldn't write about the character whom they are in love with? or they shouldn't write period?

Last edited:

Phaedo

a non sequitur
Registered
Reaction score
But then, my creeping cynicism also tells me that any novel about Rome that doesn't feature Caesar, Cicero, Augustus or some legendary enemy like Attila is probably too obscure for most agents, yet I know that's not the case.
That's not the case.
It's just so sad, who are we writing for, the agents or the readers?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah!

I've been reading interviews with or talking to quite a few writers recently who have all said the same. Their advice to anyone who wants to take up writing seriously is DON'T do it.

It used to be said that hopeful writers shouldn't give up their day jobs, now it's don't write.

In fairness I assume they mean don't try unless you know how little money you will make, how much frustration and pain you will inflict upon yourself and how depressing the writer's lonely little world can be.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely think you should go for it. Fiction is full of people we've never heard of - fictional people. As for your Belisarius, he mingles with the stars.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
you are really passionately interested in the character and can create a corking good tale then go ahead.

I've been passionately interested in Belisarius since college. I love that, amid his inspired generalship, he still made stupid mistakes. I love the friendship/jealousy between him and Justinian, the more-or-less forced marriage to the empress' best friend...and I've got a really interesting take on his complicated relationship with Procopius.

And I've already got a story pulling together...time will tell if its a great story...but at this early stage it has a lot of promise.

waylander said:
Didn't Robert Graves write a book about Count Belisarius?

He did indeed. I haven't read it, but from the reviews I've read it's told from a perspective other than Belisarius himself, and tends to stick pretty close to Procopius' Anekdota. Not sure yet if I want to read it before I start writing.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I've been reading interviews with or talking to quite a few writers recently who have all said the same. Their advice to anyone who wants to take up writing seriously is DON'T do it.

That'd be my advice, too. And not just to aspiring writers, but musicians, dancers, actors, illustrators.

But you know what? The people who are passionate about it, who are for some reason impelled...they will give it a go anyway.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I say 'go for it'.

Just like agents' opinions on submissions, everything is so subjective in the publishing business. If you write about what you love and you love what you write then that passion will shine through in your writing. Sorry to be so corny, but it's early and the coffee hasn't reached my brain yet.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
No such thing as too obscure, I'd say. This is an instance where you can tell a great story AND teeach your audience about a historical personage they didn't know about. Hopefully, it'll inspire them to go out and find lots of nonfiction material on Belisarius

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
A good story trumps obscurity.

Their advice to anyone who wants to take up writing seriously is DON'T do it.

That's the initial advice I give to people who ask. If they want to write for themselves, go forth and write away. But, if they have an eye on fame, fortune, and publication then invariably I advise them don't do it unless they're certain (or driven beyond explanation). Because there's more to writing for a living than just writing -- you have to have some idea about how to sell and promote yourself, how to operate a one-man/woman business, how to roll with some rather devastating punches, etc. If they can't be dissuaded, then they might have the right mindset (if they ask me).

Scott

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with the others, follow the one that won't leave your thoughts. How far were you in the Alaric writing?

BravoYankee

Registered
Reaction score
I'd read it!

One of my best friends and I have been Belisarius fans for years. Such a loyal servant and brilliant tactician.

Honestly, when I saw the title in your sig, I was going to send a private message. I'd say go for it. He is obscure, yes, but there's only one way to bring him into the light.

Besides, if you don't write it, I will, :)

Oh, and Graves' book is a little dry, but a good source.