• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NF Publishing

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This would not affect your other works in any way.

Clearing the rights to the one particular work for which a contract exists might be tricky. At the minimum you should get a signed reversion letter.

Who's asking for the $3K? Is it the attorneys who think that's what suing these folks would cost, or is it NF asking for that to return your rights?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I got the strangest e-mail in my box this morning, that the NF publishing site has been removed. Anyway, here's what the e-mail said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've contacted the site administrator for NF Publishings
web site. Stacey Kohan owes my printing company a large sum of money!!

Here's a copy of what the web host sent back to me.( Below )

I assume you are the same David Stewart with Kutco Printing who sent me
the email about pending legal actions.

If you are asking about my personal website, it is studio-neko.com, and
I can be reached at [email protected].

If you are asking about the NF Publishing website, it has been taken
offline for financial reasons and there are currently no plans to
restore or replace it.

I have no idea why I received this - I never submitted to NF publishing. Anyway, that's the news I have.

megncali

Don't use them

I have a feeling I'll never see the money that I was supposed to receive from NF Publishing. I am the artist who Timothy Berman referred to. I created a much better book cover for his debut novel, and I doubt I'll ever see the money, especially since NF is now offline.

I don't even know if they credited me for the artwork which was part of the agreement.

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
Last month I sent a partial manuscript to NF- a week or so later I recieved an email from Heather, stating she was a consultant for NF Publishing. She 'loved' the first three chapters and wanted to see the remainder of the manuscript. So I sent it to her. My aol decided to do an update, and managed to lose all my favorites (this site was one of them- by the way) so in my effort to replenish my list, I looked for NF Publishing. I found the site to be suspended as well. Seems like no matter which route I take these days, it's the wrong one. I've tried to check a company out before I query them. I have to admit I do have some concerns about my work. Since I've been doing a lot of self-publishing, the book was already formatted for a 6x9. All someone needs to do is print. *sigh*

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
If all you need is someone to print have you thought about lulu.com? From the sound of things on this thread they would be a better option then NF Publishing.

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
Actually it was formatted for Lulu. As I said, I've self published several books, but it's not really the kind of $$$ I'm looking for. It's a good start, but some of the books (I think) deserve better recognition.

Pressman

Welcome to the club my friend.

I'm the owner of the printng company in Harrisburg, PA. who has lost thousands of dollars to NF.

We produced books...some of which are still on our floor!
We did thousands of dollars worth of Graphic design work for NF.

In return we received a bad check as well as bad credit card info.
We've been advised to contact the F.B.I. in Tennessee and Pennsylvania.
Our legal council feels that this vis on its way to becoming a criminal case at this point.

Pressman

Well...Thank you Scorpiodragon for your warm welcome!

I hope to be of service to any and all who may just need their books
Printed.

As for the unpleasant experience we've had with Nf, My partner and I
see a great and obvious need to help restore credability to the process.

We've been in the printing and graphics business 30 years each.
We should have known better!

It's live and learn I guess?

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
After finding the site closed down, I emailed the consultant to find out if she knew what was going on. Her response is as follows.
(I enjoyed reading your book. When we re-open submissions, I will be sending it through with a recommendation for approval. We are in the process of a few management changes. One of the changes we implimented was choosing a different web administrator and server. The site will be up and running again shortly.)
EKE!!!!!!!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Well.

Hi, Pressman! This is a big site. Look around, see what interests you, and join right in.

I'm sorry you were burned. Honest people tend to think that other folks are honest.

And hi again to Stuffie -- haven't seen you in a while.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
After finding the site closed down, I emailed the consultant to find out if she knew what was going on. Her response is as follows.
(I enjoyed reading your book. When we re-open submissions, I will be sending it through with a recommendation for approval. We are in the process of a few management changes. One of the changes we implimented was choosing a different web administrator and server. The site will be up and running again shortly.)
EKE!!!!!!!

If you haven't signed a contract, and this is just me talking mind you, RUN!

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been able to post for a while. (Story of my life it seems) But that's another story. As sad as reality can be... I sure am appreciative of the warning forums.

LadyRose

Hello Pressman, Alot of this has come out since I quit NF Publishing a few weeks ago. I started recieving tons of emails from authors, illustrators, edit/proofreaders, etc etc. Authors who have not recieved books, copyrights that have not been filed that the authors have paid for. People who have not been paid for services rendered. I always wondered why she kept switching printers then I found out why when I started getting the cc'ed emails from your company. Alot of things have been coming out in the open now and there are a whole group of us that are coming together to take legal action against Stacey and NF Publishing.

Last edited:

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! That might hurt... but remember, one can not squeeze blood from a turnip. I was taken for over $600 by a bad agent- in 2002, and only recently received my first check for (Drum roll please...) $14 and change. Unless the company is stuffing money somewhere, chances are the people it belongs to will be waiting a long time to get it.

LadyRose

I don't expect to get any money, I just want to make sure that no more people get taken. No more authors who work so hard to write their books put there hopes and dreams into her and have them shattered into pieces. No more people work there tails off for the company and don't get paid for all their hard work.

Pressman

Wow!!
What a difference a day makes.

Thanks LadyRose for your input. This is truly a sad and pathetic situation
We ( the many authors and service providers ) now find ourselves in.
This has been another great lesson in life for me and my company! All I can say now is if your one of the many who feel you've been scammed and or liabled by NF Publishing as we do...Remember there's strength in numbers! Together we can bring these injustices to the attention of the proper authorities!!

Please take time and utilize the incredible amount of FREE information and resources afforded this forum! Contact Victoria Strauss with your compaint, then visit writerbeware.com to review your options.
Remember there's STRENGTH IN NUMBERS !!

OH...and thanks for the warm welcome James D. MacDonald (Our Genial Uncle) Help us keep it lite if you can...if it's possible at this point of time.

Linx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
adventuresoflinx.com
MANNNNNNNNNNN!

Wow - this was extremely discouraging. One of the "agents" at this "publishing house" just took a full copy of my manuscript and was "very impressed" with it.

To find out all of this bad news and now their site is down... kind of a kick to the balls.

This makes me sad and angry!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This is a good example of why it's a very good idea to wait at least a year before approaching a new publisher--not just to see whether it can actually produce books and put them on the market, but whether it can keep afloat while doing so.

I feel bad for all the NF authors who are caught up in the situation.

- Victoria

Stuffedtoy

Registered
Reaction score
Gee Linx... it sort of looks like we'z be riding in the same boat. Quick... someone find some bubblegum!